• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Robert Smith or Morrissey?

Who do you pick?

• Morrissey

• Robert Smith

Results are only viewable after voting.

FF71

Silver Supporting Member
Who's wrote better songs? Has a better band?

Who would you pick in general? ;)

shane8

if you're comparing the smiths to the cure there is no contest = bigmouth strikes again

Lemonhand

If it was Johnny Marr versus Robert Smith it would be a contest. I've never been convinced Morrissey had/has any true musical ability but was more of a lyrical collaborator.

trebb

If it was Johnny Marr versus Robert Smith it would be a contest. I've never been convinced Morrissey had/has any true musical ability but was more of a lyrical collaborator.
Morrissey has a great voice and wrote awesome melodies. How is that not musical ability?

snacker

I'm a big fan of both The Cure and The Smiths, but had to go with Morrissey since he continues to release really solid albums on a regular basis

Beakertwang

It's my theory that no one likes The Smiths. They just like people to THINK that they like The Smiths.

"I was listening to the Smiths and then I heard The Smiths,
And heaven knows I'm miserable now."

Chrome Dinette

I don't dislike The Cure, but I don't have any of their records. I have several Smiths records, so I guess Morrissey.

Lemonhand

Morrissey has a great voice and wrote awesome melodies. How is that not musical ability?
Morrissey's voice suited the music but I wouldn't say it was great, and didn't Johnny Marr write all the music? I like The Smiths and some of Morrissey's solo stuff but there are a lot of tracks in there that are rubbish, especially from a lyrical standpoint. Vicar In A Tutu? Hairdresser on Fire? I'll stick with Marr having the majority of the musical talent in The Smiths. They were a good team but Morrissey on his own merits doesn't match up to Robert Smith IMO.

You pick 2 big heroes of mine, and you want me to choose?

Ava Gardner or Lauren Bacall?

Both, please! :p

+

If you held my life in your hands and demanded an answer, I'd say Stephen.

It is really a miracle that Robert survived that one period in there, but to be totally cold he eventually lost the spark. You could buy that double CD with electric and acoustic versions of every hit, plus all the releases before that, and that'd be all the best stuff. I think Robert Smith is too happy and too content to write as he did in his peak. Stephen Morrisey is an agitated soul and he'll remain near peak and that's an edge to him right there.

It is the paradox of the (IMO untimely) breakup of the Smiths has left Morrissey with "unfinished business" and Robert has had his way, professionally, ever since he got the Cure up and running and could leave Siouxie. Smith has got nothing left to prove and no "what ifs" and sometimes you need "what ifs" to get you pissed off so you can write and perform and feel better.

Last edited:

StratoCraig

I never really cared much for either of them. The Cure in their early days tended to be whiny and over-dramatic ("Boys Don't Cry") while Morrissey is a self-righteous, loud-mouthed ass. But they've both done one or two songs now and then that I liked. The Cure's "Friday I'm in Love" was a pleasant pop single, and the Smiths' "What Difference Does It Make?" was a really fine song with well-written lyrics that could have benefited from a more musical singer.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom