Roberts 997 Reel to Reel

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by soli528, Oct 3, 2006.

1. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

I dug up an old Roberts 997 reel to reel out of my grandad's closet. Anyone ever heard of these or used one? It's all tube and has it's own built-in speakers. It looks like this:

[​IMG]

I don't have the power cord (it looks proprietary) and I'm sure it needs some calibration/ pot cleaning, etc... but other than that it's near perfect! I really don't have the time or wherewithall to refurb it, hell, it may not even be worth it. I thought about just harvesting parts...
    The tube compliment is 6267, 12AD7, 6X4, 6BQ5, 6AR5 on the left channel and 6267, 12AD7, 6X4, 6BQ5 on the right. I guess the extra 6AR5 on the left may be for a mono output(?). I've never used any of those tubes in any amp-
    Does anyone have any experience with either this piece of equipment or any of those tubes? Thanks in advance for anyone's interest!

2. Bussman

Bussman Member

Refurb it. It would make a hell of a tube driven tape echo thing.

3. soli528

Interesting...I guess it would require some sort of modified second record/playback head or something? Isn't that how space echo works? :confused: Cool idea. I was thinking about just seeing how it sounds as a tube mic pre. There are preamp outs on the front panel which doesn't even require use of tape... Even just as a tube gain stage on the way to a A/D input... hmmm...

4. Bussman

Bussman Member

Most pro-grade recorder allowed you to listen to the program being recorded (to check for distortion and such). The playback and record head were spaced slightly apart so there was a delay. Check if yours was capable of listening to material as it records.

It's true that it could also be re-purposed as a mic pre or distortion unit à la Jimmy Page on LZ IV. Have fun with it!

5. e-z

e-z Member

Isn't a 6BQ5 the same thing as an EL84?

6. Bussman

Bussman Member

Yep!

7. covert

covert Member

many people also pull the preamps and use them as standalones.

8. soli528

Thanks for the tip on Akai. I'm wondering if it's possible to get replacement parts like the detachable power cord that I am missing. Does anyone know if Akai or Roberts sources old parts?

Also, does anyone know of a process by which the preamp sections can be removed/used? Should I just keep them in place and use the preamp outs of the chassis?

Thanks again

9. neve1073

neve1073 Member

i have a friend who routes signal througha roberts for tape saturation and tone before it hits protools.

he tells me it's great, but i haven't gotten around to trying it.

10. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

That looks SO COOL I personally would keep it intact.

I have an Akai 4000 machine that I use as an ornament with some old 50's tube radios from the USA.

I also have a Revox PR99 and was going to use that to do the tape saturation thing but just havent got round to it yet.

11. BTO

BTO Member

I scored an old mono Wollensack tube reel to reel at a garage sale for $5 last summer. I found other uses for the Mullard preamp tubes that were in it ;), but I've been thinking of pulling the preamp or making the whole thing more guitar ampish.