Robin Savoy

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JimmyR, Feb 14, 2008.

1. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

I saw in the John Ziegler thread that he plays a Robin Savoy. Does anyone else have some experience with these guitars? I saw on the Robin site a Savoy with a wraparound tailpiece bridge - now that's a guitar that's calling out to me! I've been interested in these guitars for some time now but strangely enough you don't see many of them here in Australia...

Anyone have one??

2. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I've tried a few, seriously considered buying one used. It had replacement pickup issues, so I didn't. There is something very appealing about the shape and feel of the Savoy. Interesting design touches. Sort of 335, sort of not. I'd like to own one someday.

3. XKnight

XKnight Member

In general, Robin's are great guitars and a great bargain used too. I never tried a Savoy though.

4. bigdaddyj

bigdaddyj Supporting Member

I have an Avalon, a Wrangler Esquire type, and a Medley.
    The fit and finish is superb and the tones are great. I haven't played a Savoy, I can only attest to the great quality of Robin guitars that I own. Try the Robin Lovers forum for more info.

5. B Vance

B Vance Member

I own one. http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=283481

6. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

BVance I saw that thread and it was another reason to remember I liked the look of those guitars. Your guitar looks incredible.

The funny thing is, a while ago I started to wonder to myself what my ideal "start from a blank sheet" blues guitar would be. I used to own an Aria PE1000 from the late 70s that I loved. It was a vaguely LP guitar but with a cutaway with no neck heel and the cutaway shape flowed into the non-cut side gracefully like the Robin does but with a sharp point on the cutaway. So that was a starting point for me. Then I decided that it had to be a semi like a 335 but single cut. So a single cut 335 with a scroll-shaped cutway profile... hmmm... sounds like the Robin Savoy!

So you would describe the tone as being thinner than a 335? Is the body chambered like a Bluesbird or built more like a 335?

There are a lot of features to like. I like the headstock with the straight string path and it's a cool shape. The body shape is beautiful. I like the wrap-around bridge idea on those that have it. Not so sure on the rounded end pickup rings but I'm sure I could live with them!

I guess if it sounded like a cross between a '54 Les Paul and a 335 I could really live with it! I have a great 335 but a bit more "sting" to the tone is never a bad thing.

7. John Ziegler

John Ziegler Member

ahhhh, there ya go....i see a Savoy in your future!

[​IMG]+[​IMG]=
    [​IMG]

exactly why i love those robins! :AOK

8. B Vance

B Vance Member

Yeah....

I'd have to echo John Ziegler on that one. In my opinion you can get a lot more tonal options from the Savoy than you can from a 335. My Savoy has push/pull pots on both pickups so I can split them.

When the bridge is split, I can almost get tele tones in addition to the standard lead bridge tones. When the neck is split it's got a sort of strat in the 4th or 5th position sort of thing going on. Finally, with both pickups running, split, I get a sweet p90-ish tone.

I use it on lots of different types of songs too. From old school female-centered doo-whop soul/R&B, gospel, blues, jazz and even some modern Sarah McLachlan type songs requiring aggressive guitar parts.

It can take many shapes my friend.

9. guitarvc

guitarvc Member

I have had 2 of them and they were both fantastic. Only reason I sold them is because of financial hardship. My favorite hollow body.