Robin Trower Pedalboard Photos from 1980

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Craise, May 20, 2008.

1. Craise

Craise Member

I was just watching Robin Trower "Rock Goes to College" from 1980 and snapped a couple of pedalboard shots!
    What are they?? Looks like custom shop stuff! Anyone know the story on these? Pete Cornish maybe?
    :BluesBros

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. V846

V846 Member

The effects were repackage .I can't remember all the stuff and who did the work except two Electric Mistresses and perhaps a Fender Blender plus the wah I think a Color Sound. They are listed in an issue of GP from that year

3. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

I want an old school Electric Mistress in a small "MXR" box like package...now!

Someone should makes this pedal.

I have a dream.

4. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Hartman Electronics makes an Electric Mistress in an MXR size box-just recently released.

5. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

Cool!

[​IMG]

P.S. The sound clip on the web site sounds like $%&. :eek:

6. V846

V846 Member

Ah found it, GP 1980. Some guy named Mike did the work, no idea the last name....
    First effect is a custom built preamp > Dan Armstrong Red Ranger>Tycobrahe wha>Fender Blender >univibe> Mutron II and two Mistresses

7. jimmycupo

jimmycupo Member

Mutron 2? Or 3? Auto Wah Or A Phasor? Phasor 2?

8. Craise

Craise Member

Wow! cool! Thanks for the info!
    Trower is da man! Be sure to check out his new CD with Jack Bruce! Seven Moons...one of his best for sure!
    :BluesBros

9. V846

V846 Member

Mu-tron II is all that was mentioned

10. irishdean

irishdean Member

From what he's said in interviews, and the fact that the effects have been rehoused (except for the Tycobrahe Wah of course), my guess would be that his 'electronics guy' had wired a loop system. I knew a guy back in the early 80s that looped his phaser(DOD 201) and flanger (Ross) together preset, outside of his regular wah-distortion plus-LPB1-ADA flanger-MXR 100 set up. All it takes is an A/B wiring of the footswitch. That would clarify his 'as many effects without losing signal' quote. I read somewhere back in the day that guys like Trower, Pat Travers, and Frank Marino had actually had their pedalboards rewired to a balanced state, as in low Z mic cable, and there are photos that sure look that way, but I've never read any actual insight or details as to how that could be done without some type of matching transformers between everything.
    I had a few of the Mutron pedals back in the day; the Mutron III Envelope Follower, Mutron II (3 knob phaser), Mutron I (2 knob phaser), Mutron Octave Divider. Great pedals, built like tanks. Looked cool too. Stevie Wonder used a III on Superstition.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009