Robot Guitar reviewed in Guitar Player

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JohnCovach, Feb 2, 2008.

1. JohnCovach

JohnCovach Supporting Member

Anybody else had a chance to read the review of the Gibson Robot Guitar in this month's Guitar Player Magazine? While it's not a bad review, a number of problems and issues are mentioned. This can't be the review the folks at Gibson were hoping for.

I'm not trying to start a why-I-hate-Gibson feeding frenzy, but the review is interesting in light of the many discussions of this guitar on this board and elsewhere a while back.

2. Colourful

Colourful Member

I'm all for keep-it-simple-stupid, I'll just leave it at that..!

3. Chikn

Chikn Supporting Member

The review mentioned "tuning inconsistencies", which basically means the stupid thing doesn't work. Period.

4. shadowfax29

shadowfax29 Member

I say more moving parts, more to go wrong/malfunction. Plus I wonder how hard it would be to get parts for these

5. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I wonder how the Robo-Guitar will hold up in the world of the gigged guitar - beer (sloshed accidentially by patrons), sweat, cigarette smoke, and humidity from playing outdoor gigs/festivals are the things that assault my gig-instruments. Can the Robo-Guitar stand up to that type of stuff and still do its tuning thing? If it has difficulties and inconsistencies in safe confines of GP's testing lab during a bench test, I can't imagine how it's gonna survive life in the real world...

jb

6. smorgdonkey

smorgdonkey Member

Yes...I know that when I tune I normally play and bend strings and everything and then tune again and do the same until whatever guitar that I am using stays in...I would think that the robot guitar would have trouble with strings binding at the nut and one would have to tune multiple times anyway. It's just rather gimmicky anyway.

7. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Supporting Member

It's a $800 guitar that tunes itself, enough said.

8. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

A guitar is hard enough to get in tune and when it is you don't want to start turning the keys back and forth. I just don't get the concept behind this guitar, certainly not designed by a luthier as I know the term.

9. sugarlou

sugarlou Supporting Member

These guitars are not intended for realworld guitarists are they? I mean they are targetting the collector/wannabee crowd no?

10. DaveK

DaveK Member

I would be shocked if GP mag printed a critical review of a product from a major advertiser!!!

11. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

Um, it is just me, or are musicians increasingly over time getting lazier and lazier about tuning their own instruments? I mean, I can see why you should use a tuner if you're recording something, but geez...now we need guitars that tune themselves? what ever happened to using your ears?

12. sugarlou

sugarlou Supporting Member

It's got less to do with actually tuning the guitar and more about a "novelty" type of "investment" instrument.

13. JohnCovach

Well this comes pretty close, and I'm sure there was plenty of discussion about this all the way up the food chain at GP. Gibson likely hoped for the "Editor's Pick" award (or whatever they call it). Robo not only didn't get that, but the review also pointed out some fundamental problems and engaged the criticisms about students and general lack of musicianship, etc. In the end, it says some nice things, but there's no doubt that the folks at GP take it right up to the line, but never cross it. It seems clear that the GP folks have problems with the guitar and think their integrity (such as they imagine it to be, that is) would be damaged by a glowing review.

I just think it's fun to watch these gears turn (figuratively, that is).

14. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

Ya know, I am reading this review, and reading about "tuning inconsistencies"..wow thats horrible, I say to myself...then I foolishly jump ahead to read the end, and read a POSITIVE summary.

Dear GP Mag, you suck, but you will keep those Gibson ad dollars flowing...shame on you, shame shame shame.....

15. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I said it before and I'll say it now - the Robot Guitar is a solution in search of a problem. It's also a quick cash grab. Will they offer it as an option on other Gibsons? At least it's more usable than that stupid virtual guitar they have out. I just wish they'd spend the cash and get their QC up to PRS levels.

16. maccampbells

maccampbells Member

Is there something like consumer reports for Guitars and equipment? Not a message board or user created content, but something where equipment is rated by "professionals"?

17. daddyo

daddyo Guest

You're at the closest thing on the web. This and The Les Paul Forum. They seem to be brutally honest over there of late.

18. JohnCovach

There's a thread on the LP Forum in the Sunburst Pub called "My Robot broke" that raises a series of problems with this instrument. And this is the limited edition Robo--what will the cheaper one be like?!

All I can say is: ARP Avatar.

19. rrhea

rrhea Member

That seems to be the route of most journalism these days. I remember when the guitar mags were hard on gear, new music and even the musicians.

I have most of my old magazines from the late 80's and early 90's and there is one issue where Vai is being interviewed shortly after the release of Passion and Warfare... and the interviewer is critiquing each song pretty harshly with Vai right there! Vai was scrambling to explain himself and defend what he did and why he did it. It wasn't an uncomfortable interview, but it was enlightening because it wasn't sugar coated with softball questions. That would never happen today because all the magazines are in the back pocket of some board of directors that only want to increase ad dollars and keep guys like Vai on the cover to sell magazines, not preserve journalistic integrity.

It's scary, really.

RR

20. daddyo

daddyo Guest

This thread really brings out how cool the net can be for democratizing information. Can you imagine if we had the model used up to the mid 90s. Gibson develops robot guitar. Gibson sends out flyers and posters to dealers. Gibson buys a zillion $$$ of ads in all guit rags and obtains "favourable" reviews. Gibson unveils Robot Guitar at NAMM. Gibson ships 4000 to dealers. The faithful plunk down the cash. Months go by as rumours leak out about unreliable tuners. It takes a few years before everyone knows the things a dog.