Roccaforte - Big Thumbs Up!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Braciola, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

Well, since I found out my Wizard order was going to take longer than expected, I decided to pull the trigger on a Roccaforte Custom 80 that was for sale on the forum.

I play heavy blues, old school classic rock/ hard rock to 80's shred.
    My amp style is definitely in the Marshall flavor, and have been through more amps than I care to mention, but I felt I needed to pause with this purchase to give credit where credit is due.

First off, I was fortunate enough to come across one of those rare JCM 800 that just "HAS IT" a while back, and no matter what boutique amp I purchased to A/B it against, none sounded near as good to me.
    After a quick A/B with the Custom 80, I realized that I finally had a serious contender here.
    After a few hours of some high volume jamming with some killer players I can honestly say that IMHO this is one of the few boutique amps that sound as good if not better than a great sounding Marshall.

-This amp has BIG BALLS!
    With the bass set at noon, the amp has the perfect amount of tight thunderous lowend not found on any stock Marshall I've ever played.

- (This may not be a good point for others, but for me it's a big plus)
    The amp is very unforgiving. If your not a polished lead guitarist, you might feel your fighting with the amp because even at higher gain levels the amp has a clear, unforgiving hardness to it that won't hide any sloppy playing.

- It's can get that awesome AC/DC crunchy growl of a good Marshall.
    You know what I'm talking about here.....
    So many Marshall style amps just don't produce this great rhythm tone, but the Custom 80 just ooozes this Great Rock & Roll crunch.

- The amp cleans up very nicely with your guitars volume control, and the cleans are very nice.
    For soloing, just kick in your favorite overdrive pedal (loves pedals) and have some fun!

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by this amp, and now I'm very interested in trying some of Doug's lower wattage models.
    Even though the amp has an excellent master volume, It sounds even sweeter with the power tubes cooking a bit.

Anyone been through a few Roccaforte's with the same music style that can point me towards my next Roccaforte purchase?:dude

2. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

Braciola...

You'd love the Custom 30. :AOK

I've stated this in many of my previous replies on this board where someone asks about "Marshall type amps" that IMO... of all the boutique Marshall style amps that I've owned or tried (lot's of them!)... my Roccaforte Custom 30 comes the closest of them all in capturing the tone and response of my old Marshall amps. And my Custom 30 is bone stock running 4 6V6's in the power section as well as a tube rectifier! :eek:

3. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

braciola

if you have that custom 80 in your possession, id sure appreciate hearing clippage recorded by you that demonstates

clean tone

ac/dc back in black tone

addition of boost unit in front of amp for liquid lead tone soloing and heavy gain riffing.

hoping you can illustrates these dude.

jimmy

4. Ironman

Ironman Member

I've got the Custom 30. I tried the Custom 80 too, they're both voiced the same but the 30 is just a touch softer, not much though and still loud as hell! I run mine with EL34's which makes her a 50 watter. I love the balls on these amps, very articulate and beautifully voiced. Every nuance comes through, just lot's of character with this amp. I'm running mine in a wet/dry setup and man oh man what a huge crystal clear tone I'm getting! I highly recommend an OCD pedal with her. I'd love to try one of the HG amps but I'm guessing I'm pretty close to that tone with my 30 and the OCD. Man, I'm glad you you're digging your Roccaforte too! It rocks harder than the Scorpion huh? ;)

5. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Yup Dominick - that amp has the low end from God!! Probably the most satisfying low-end I've ever experienced. Tremendous amp. Enjoy!

6. myles111

myles111 Member

These are really great amps and the low end ... thank a nice pricy output transformer for a lot of that great low end.

7. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

Dominick, I'm glad you like it! Didn't I tell you it has balls?! Now you know why I couldn't keep it for home use. Got tired of buying new picture frames ;)

8. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

Dominick,

I am with you. Huge open authority and punch from Doug's stuff. The 80 will get you one of the greatest high gain lead tones with a pedal like an SD9 or similar. I bet a BB preamp would kill with that thing too. Even on its own though it is a glorious sound and does have mucho girth. Nice and tight even when cranked. The HG100 kills too.

9. xray

xray Gold Supporting Member

Dominick, that one used to be my amp. Steves right an SD9, OCD or sparkle drive all sound great with that amp. Rangemaster style treble boosters also work well. It also loves NOS 12ax7's.

10. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

Glad to hear you're digging it!
    I don't one right now, but I do get to play them:D

11. Johnny Raz

Johnny Raz Member

My C80 and the OCD are a great pairing -- I'm curious about trying the SD9 (although I am NOT a lead player)....

12. Green Pro Am

Green Pro Am Supporting Member

When I had my C80, I always got great results using a Fulldrive 2 to hit the front end.

13. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

This is the best thing someone can say about an amp. An amp that demands the best from a player.

14. Braciola

Thanks man,
    I think the Custom 30 or the Custom 40 might be my next purchase.
    Have you played the Custom 40?
    If so, what was it about the Custom 30 that you liked better?

15. Braciola

Hey Jimmy!
    I would love to be able to make some clips, unfortunately I don't have any recording equipment at this time.

16. Braciola

What were the tonal differences between the 6V6's and the EL 34's?

17. Braciola

Thanks man,
    Enjoyment in process!

18. Braciola

Hey Myles,
    Send me some preamp tubes you think might work well in this amp, and I'll be more than happy to give a review :D

19. Braciola

Hey Steve!
    For solo's I'm just kicking in a plain old Maxon OD-9 and it seems to work very well.

20. Braciola

Great, I'm trying to figure out what brand preamp tubes are in it.
    They are not labeled, and the guy I bought it from said he didn't change them since he got it from you.
    Would you happen to know what they are?