1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Roccaforte Custom 30...what a gem!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ironman, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Ironman

Ironman Member

Man, oh man I've got a major buzz going from playing a Roccaforte Custom 80 and Custom 30. After spending a few days with both amps I've decided on the Custom 30. Both of these amps are stellar!!! They totally showcase your playing, nothing to hide behind with these puppies. I love their incredibly clear voice, dynamics and punch. The 80 is the king of thump, extremely loud with very little compression. It sounds huge, even at low volumes. The Custom 30 was a total surprise though! I heard that the amp's 30 watts were deceiving, you got that right! It also has a huge voice, it almost punches like the 80 too. What I like about the 30 is the extra compression, it's a little warmer and with EL34's (I prefer them to the 6V6's) the single notes are a tad fatter. The 30 sings a litte easier, the goods obviously come on quicker than with the monster headroom of the 80. As far as speakers go, I'm totally shocked at what is sounding great to me. I tried both amps with Marshall 4x12's loaded with Man O War's, Wizards and V30's. Well to my surprise my V30 cab sounds the best to me. V30's were becoming less and less pleasing to me over the years but my ears love what's happening with them and the Custom 30. I love that it is a full size head too. Most amps rated less than 50 watts are about the size of a lunch box...why? I'm really blown away by this classy amp! You guys know that feeling so I thought I'd share it with you. :AOK -Steve

2. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

Love my Custom 30! :dude Just a great amp. I too love that it s a fullsize head box. Looks more impressive and authoritive! Mine has 6V6's (I have yet to try it with EL 34's) but you'd never know it based upon the tone and response!

3. Ironman

Ironman Member

Yeah, still very rocking in a Marshally way with the 6V6's. I can still hear their bubbly character in there though. Quite unique. For fun I slapped in a pair of my Ruby EL34B's and wow! More grind, a little warmer yet and slightly more gain which I don't understand given the output jump with the EL34's. It's nice to be able to swap between the two for sure.

4. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

most of the rocca clips are on the brighter side but not in a bad way. but i wanted to know if the rocca custom 30 can get darker tones somewhat like cream era plexi's.

5. Ironman

Ironman Member

The 30 is very vintage sounding to me, it's less aggressive than the 80 but it still packs an impressive punch. Both amps cut, I'm running the treble pretty low on the 30 with the mid straight up. I wasn't able to get my hands on a Custom 40 so I got to test drive both ends of the spectrum in the Custom series. I believe the 30 has lower plate voltages than the 40 which I'm sure would affect the tone/feel somewhat.

Although these amps have a somewhat Marshall flavor to me, I wouldn't dare compare them to any in particular...they just have their own thing happening. They are just awesome flat out rock amps in the classic vein to me.

6. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

I have a few old Marshall heads and I own and have owned many of the current highly praised boutique Marshall knock offs and I don't find my Custom 30 to be voiced "more on the brighter side" then any of those amps are. In fact, if set properly > gain low > Master up....I find my Custom 30 sounds the closest to my old Marshall amps of any of them! :eek: I play all these amps through a closed back cab with Celestion Greenbacks.

7. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

Its all in the EQ, it can get as dark as you want.
    Most of the soundclips on my site are crap,
    I'm doing new ones soon.
    The recording gear used was way out dated.

With 6V6 tubes, the amp is creamy. Doug

8. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

The Custom 40 is closer to being a half power version of the 80,
    but not exact. Its tube rectified, the 80 SS.
    The Custom 30 has a different output transformer design,
    and lower voltage than both the 40+80, so the OD is a bit
    more compressed.
    Thank you for the comments, I'm happy to hear you're digging it.
    Doug

9. Softpaw

Softpaw Member

Is it correct: the Custom 30/40/80 have two gain stage preamps, compared to the four stage HG Rocca's?

10. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

sweet......sound like my kind of amp!!!

11. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

correct.

12. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

hey doug, do you like your amps with celestion speakers?

13. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

The only soundclips on my site that have pedals on them are the brnsound clips, some of my customer clips, and the Denelle45R blues clip.
    The majority are direct amp+guitar. The information is listed on the pages.
    None of the Custom series Rocca clips have pedals on them.

14. Softpaw

Softpaw Member

Sorry, I should have been more specific.... I was thinking of some of the customer clips...

15. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

I love it, but since switching to the Eminence Red coats,
    I can't see looking back at this time.
    Doug
    PS, I've been a GreenBack and Blackback Celestion user
    most my life.