Roccaforte Custom 40 Review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ejecta, Jan 28, 2006.

1. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

Came across a great deal on a custom 40. Got to try it last night at low volumes and playing along with a band. Wow, this amp is very full. Has the Marshall character but Doug took it further. This amp has a nice 3D quilty, nice top end, tight bottom and plenty of it if you need it. I found I backed the bass off more than I usually do. The 40 is the perfect vloume for me. Took pedals really well. Actually had more gain than I was expecting. Cleaned up real well with the volume

The amp's build quality is top notch. You can tell Doug takes pride in his work. Again not nocking other builders..... Splawn, Diezel, Dr Z, Mojave, Soldano, Aiken, Fusch, etc etc all are of the same obession to detail. Nice work guys!

Over all in the honeymoon faze Im very happy. When I asked my friend who plays also what he thought of the Roccaforte he said "I think it Rocks-aloty."

Going to run a dual amp set up with my Z28. Should be fun.

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

what cab/speakers are you using with the C40?

3. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

Just got the amp yesterday so I went over to a buddies house where there was a drum kit and only stopped by the house to get my guitar and some pedals. In the band situation I was using my buddies Mesa Boogie tall 4x12. At home I have a JDesign 2x12 with a Weber v30ish speaker and Weber higher watt Greenbackish speaker. I realy like using the JDesign with the Z so Im thinking of ordering a Buzzbomb 2x12. Once Ive played the 40 through the JDesign and do some research I will try and decide which speakers to put in the Buzzbomb. I have a PRS custom 22 with an all rosewood neck which is a darker sounding guitar so I think I'll need a speaker that is a bit bright and I will see if the Webers fit this bill later today. The Boogie cab was a bit dark too with my guitar last night but not too much. So we will see.

4. riffmeister

I think Doug uses Tonkers in his 2x12 cab with the C40.

5. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

I'll check those out.

6. badtoneno

badtoneno Supporting Member

Glad you're digging it! The amp will take pedals real well too. If you need more gain, an OCD really compliments that amp well. In the band setting, I find that the Rocs really shine.

7. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

Yes Im really diggin it. Yep it took my OCD and my HBE Big D really well. It cut in the band like crazy but was still nice and full.

8. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

Congrats on your Custom 40, ejecta. They are real stud amps that, as you said, have great 3D presence and cut, great MV and a wonderful fullness of tone that just kicks. I worked mine out a lot last year, and it was a ton of fun. I also got a lot of compliments on the tone...

9. Jack Walker

Jack Walker Supporting Member

I have a Zbest 2 X 12 loaded with Tonkers. It is pristine with my RT66. I can imagine it would kill with that C40. I'm really starting to gas for a Roccaforte. Time to sell something.

10. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

I mainly use Mano'wars,Red Ryders,Tone Spotters or Govenors with the C40. It kind of depends on the type of player.

11. riffmeister

I was close. ;)

12. badtoneno

badtoneno Supporting Member

For horseshoes and hand grenades in Philly!

13. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

I'll probably contact Doug and tell him what Im using and planning to do and see if he can give me some pointers with speakers.

Thanks for all the input guys!

14. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I'm not sure I've played amps that take pedals better than the Roccaforte Custom series. And my Rockie absolutely loves pedals too. These amps sound great overdriven on their own, but I love setting mine so that it's just starting to break up, then hit it with a pedal. Everything I've used really worked well. Enjoy!

15. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

Got to play with setting up the Custom 40 with my pedal board and speakers today and all I can say is WOW! This is by far hands down the amp that has fit me the best in the line of amps Ive tried. Marshallesque but big and full but not compressed. Ive really gotten to not like a modern compressed tone. This amp starts with a nice Pagey tone and goes beyond! Cleans up real well too and the master is great. My speakers in my cab were brighter than the Mesa cab so thats cool but I lost some bottom. A buzzbomb run along side my J Design will solve that though.

Doug you have made me a happy man.

16. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

I agree the amp has a really great over driven tone and I actually have it set up so that it crunches really nicely and then use pedals to take it beyond. I can also see me at times using just the amps gain as it has more than I expected.

You and I think alot alike.:AOK

17. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

You play that in PA? I thought it was a quiet town, cheeze steak sandwiches and all that.

18. GoodGAS

GoodGAS Supporting Member

Right on w/all comments! I think these amps are greatly under appreciated...I use mine with a Jenkins 4x12 cab loaded with a pair of Greenbacks and a pair of Gov'nors...

Sparse use of pedals: old Crybaby Wah, old TS-9, Line 6 Delay and MXR90 Phaser...

My neighbors love it!! :BOUNCE

19. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

I was one of the ones who under appreciated them. That is no more!