Roccaforte Custom 80 incoming...now here...and gone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DonaldDemon, Mar 6, 2015.

1. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

It should be here next week, got it for a good price in comparison to what they seem to sell for. I needed another M-style amp for my second (cover) band a,d this seems to get good reviews...except about how LOUD it is! I wonder how easily it can be tamed to play your standard bar gig? The one I'm getting does have two mods: a half power switch and an efx loop w/ send/return levels. Hopefully using the efx levels will tame it a bit like I was able to with my Rivera M60, I guess it depends on what kind of loop was installed. I'm also curious to see how it compares to my beloved Splawn Pro Mod. I do like loud plexi/800 style amps that are tight & articulate so this should be up my alley.

:rockin

edit: page 3 for arrival

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  2. BrentSP

BrentSP Supporting Member

I had two HG100. Roccaforte builds great amps. Apparently he's not building anymore is what I hear. Too bad.

3. Kelly

Kelly Member

There were a couple for sale at nc guitarworks recently.

4. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

How was the master volume on them? Gigable at reasonable volumes?
    That's where I am getting it from ;)

5. BrentSP

Honestly the MV is aweful. Either loud or off. Doug uses (or use to) linear taper pots for the MV which sound great at loud stadium volumes but super touchy to dial in at bedroom volumes. I used mine at gigs and it was still too loud. Still a great sounding amp, it's just ear bleeding loud. The C80 is a little more forgiving but still very loud.

6. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

Hmm that seems to be the consensus. I'm hoping that changing that to an audio taper will help solve it. I won't be using it for bedroom level but it needs to be or enough for small gigs

7. Profklamen

Profklamen Supporting Member

I'm a fan of Roccaforte amps. He must have a variety of master volume circuits that he has used; my experience is quite different from BrentSP. He used to (maybe still does) put a master volume in vintage hand-wired Marshall amps. I bought 4 of these vintage Marshalls. After playing the first one, I was amazed had how great they sound. They are still the best master volume I've heard on a Marshall and are great at bedroom volumes. I used one of his modified 100 watt superleads as my bedroom amp for years. This goes for both the custom and the High-gain circuits.

I also own a Roccaforte Custom 30 head. Its master volume is more subtle and not as good at low volumes. It's a very powerful, and amazingly well-made amp. I would not agree that it's "Either loud or off," but it's not ideal for apartment volumes. These amps have a remarkable purity and level of refinement. If it's too loud, add an ovderdrive pedal - they take them well.

8. BrentSP

Just to rephrase a bit.....you can dial it in at low volumes but the range is literally maybe a centimeter.

9. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

IME, the master volume on the Custom 80 works pretty well but is on the touchy side. That said, the real magic--as in virtually every other amp I've ever played--comes when you can crank it up a little bit to at least small-room playing volume. It is usable...though I haven't really found great sounding low efficiency, high-powered speakers that I like...so I wound up using it with a 4x12...this had a negative psychological effect on my bandmates and some of the clubs we played so ultimately, it was too big for my situation. But it was a great sounding amp in the Marshall tradition.

10. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

I don't know how old the amp is or what kind of MV it has, guess I will find out if it's usable or not. I'm really hoping the send/return level pots added to the modded efx loop will help tame it further. My Rivera was great for this, I could get bedroom volumes easily and it was a 60 watt amp.

My Splawn (older 2005 model) is touchy like that but not that bad. Looks like a change of pots might be in order. I can probably even do that myself.

Everything sounds better when turned up as we all know! I use Splawn cabs with low efficiency Small Block speakers, really helped get better volumes with my Splawn which I used previously with V30s in a Bogner cab. Everything I read about the Roccas is that they sound great but most people sold them off due to volume issues.

11. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

The Roc 80 is my favorite amp of the Roccaforte line. Built like a tank and gets the classic "kerrang" of a 2203/JCM800.

But, yes, it is a loud amp. Use inefficient speakers to tame it a bit. I like Scumback M75LD's with that amp. An attenuator set to -3 or -6 should be enough to tame it without it loosing its characteristics ...

12. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

I've seen your Splawn clips (which sound awesome), how do those amps compare to the best of your memory? It seems like they would be in the same ballpark. I don't want to get into using an attenuator. I have enough stuff to set up! If anything I would use a volume pedal or eq in the loop if needed. Also, I see you do amp mods, what are your thoughts on changing the MV pot to audio taper, any negative effects?

13. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

The amps are voiced differently. The Roc80 is classic 2203/JCM800 tone with just a tad more gain available. The Splawn is Hot-Rodded JCM but with a different voicing. There are more upper mids and way more gain available with the Splawn. Also, it would be more of an apples to apples comparison to compare the Splawn to the Roc HG100, not the 80. The Splawn has a "plate driven" tone-stack vs. the 80's classic "cathode follower" tone stack. These differences give a different feel to the amps.

14. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

Awesome, thanks. I did want a different flavor of M-style 800 amp so I should dig it.

15. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Member

The C80 is the bomb. It's my "go to" amp. It may be in the marshall camp to some degree, but it's much more unique. It really sounds more like a cross between a marshall and a hiwatt. It's huge sounding and extremely dynamic - and it makes most other amps sound small in comparison. Hands down the best built amp I have ever seen or owned. I set mine for edge of breakup and hit it with a boost. Glorious.

16. orangekick

orangekick Member

I've owned entirely too many amps and the Custom 80 is only second behind a Jenelle. Those are easily the two best amps that I have ever owned. I've always played in loud bands, so the volume was never an issue.

17. Tonebender

Tonebender Supporting Member

JEALOUS

-Two time HG100 owner here. Whatta beast!

Superbly made and huge tones. My only piece of advice is stick with EL34's. My second HG100 had KT77's and it felt a bit stiff. Enjoy it!

18. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

Killer amps. Fierce and well made. Bargain when seen used these days.

19. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

That's kind of what interested me, two of my favorite tones. What do you boost it with?

That's good to hear. My bands are pretty loud too so maybe it won't be too much of a problem. What about the Jenelle do you like better, more gain on tap?

I will probably stick with EL34s as well, I already have the Splawn with KT88s for big tight bottom end

20. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

So I got the amp and turned it on, tubes started red plating and then amp lost volume and sounded terrible. The seller said his tech set the bias and checked the tubes before it went out. I have such terrible luck buying used amps. I just ordered new el34s hopefully that's the problem. The amp was packed well so I'm surprised the tubes got rattled or ruined but who knows. So all in all, disappointing NAD. Anyone know if there is an easily accessible bias pot in these?