Roccaforte HG100 Opinions & Clips Wanted

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by S.A.M., Feb 1, 2006.

1. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

Whats the general opinion of Dougs HG100? I've listened to the clips on his website, and some on forums and they sound great. Does anyone have any recorded at band levels? I would REALLY like to hear how well it cleans up from pretty heavy gain (gained out jubilee gain levels) with just the guitar volume.
    Thanks

2. J-Mart

J-Mart Member

I'll help you as much as I can. Have you listened to my clips? I could email you some live soundboard band clips if you need them. It cleans up great with the guitars volume. It's a great amp. Check out the clips in my sig.

3. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

Ya, I listened to your clips, they sound great. Were they recorded very loud? Any boost or anything like that? If you could email me some soundboard clips that would be great. I'll PM you my email address.

4. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

I guess some people would argue that the amp is pretty bright, which it is. However the gain sort of quasi-compresses it so it's not overly sharp. It is FREAKING loud though. Pretty sure you should put a sign out that warns of hearing damage when you play a gig though. There's a good amount of gain. Not a modern rock amp, but a really good for 80's modded Marshall, although not overly compressed like a JCM800 w/ boost is.

5. mrmojorisin

mrmojorisin Member

The HG100 is just an amazing sounding amp...one of my favorites tonewise, and I have owned hundreds.

The only reason I don't own one today (I've had HG50's and HG30's too) is that they are beasts...they are a tremendous amount of amp volume wise...powerful beyond belief. Even my HG30 would shake the hair on my legs when I played it in the summer with shorts on. Though the master volume is as good as any master I've ever heard, the amp just doesn't really breath until the masters at 9:00-10:00, and even there is is DAMN loud (but oh so sweet).

If you need this much amp, I can assure you that you won't be disappointed in any way with the tone, responsiveness, feel or flexibility. It definitely is an "editor's choice" in these categories, IMHO.

Carl

6. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

My main concern is if it cleans up with the guitar volume very well. I've read mixed opinions on this. Some people say it cleans up VERY well, while others say that they couldn't get a usuable clean out of it.

7. J-Mart

J-Mart Member

It is a one channel amp, maybe that is why they say that. I have no problems what so ever getting it to clean up nice with the guitars volume. I use a line6 delay modeler and for some reason, that thing gives a little boost when on tube echo. I use no other drive pedals with mine.

8. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

9. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

Now was the amp on those clips dialed in clean, or was the gain up and the guitar volume used to clean up the amp. Because if thats how well it cleans up with the guitar volume WOW.

10. J-Mart

J-Mart Member

11. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

It wants me to login. What forum is it in, and do you know the title of the post? I'll see if I can find it.

12. J-Mart

J-Mart Member

Crap. Figured that would happen. It is Guitars101.com. Roy Bratbakken is the singer. I'll try and download the mp3 again.

13. BrentSP

BrentSP Member

It really depends on which HG100. The 1st preamp has less gain and cleans up very well. The current 2nd preamp has a bit more gain due to a change in values in the first stage. It cleans up well to for the amount of gain it has but not like the original preamp. Both are great though but I prefer the 1st preamp.

14. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

Well J-Mart I found it, but I can't listen without registering.

15. myles111

myles111 Member

I really dislike sound clips. They generally make me think that if one relies on clips at times it is like taking a test drive in a new car by watching one drive by on the dealers lot.

Now don't get me wrong ... on amps that have a mass of tone robbing circuitry in the front end you can get a decent idea of what the amp might sound like, and it matters little if these amps are real "players" amps and have all sorts of articulation and touch dynamics that seperate a great amp from a ho-hum amp.

In the case of the Roccaforte amps .... these are "players" amps that are articulate, touch sensitive, really really well built, and every amp in the Roccaforte lineup does what it is targeted to do.

My suggestion is to try to find one to actually play. When you actually play the amps you will find what is missing in sound clips.

16. BrentSP

BrentSP Member

I agree somewhat and understand what your saying but for me, how well an amp records is a big deal to me.

17. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

I agree. It wont tell me ALL about the amp but I can hear how well it records to some degree and a ballpark of tonality. I like getting many sources as the recording prcosses can greatly color a sound before I try out an amp in person.

Back on topic..

Ive never played a HG100 but have played Custom 80 and now own a Custom 40. These amps have plenty of gain for me but then again I like using pedals to get me into higher gain territory.

Ive been through quite a few amps as of late and this one is IMHO the best for my needs so far and has the biggest most articulate, 3D, Marshallesque vibe to it. Eats pedals like no ones business.

18. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

thanks Myles. I have to agree here, I'm not too much a fan of soundclips.
    The player, and recording has everything to do with what you're hearing,
    so does the computer and speakers you're listening on.
    Sure, I agree it can be a starting point to get a basic idea, but again its up to the person playing, and recording to make or break the clips quality.
    I have heard many soundbytes on the net, and some can make a great amp sound horrible if not recorded with quality gear. Poor playing doesn't help any either.
    There are soundbytes on my site that I like, and ones I can't stand.
    I'm working on new ones, but time is limited right now.

I *think common sense should always be used when juddging clips if you're using a soundclip to make a gear purchase desicion. Its very simple to decide the style of amp tone you're looking for (Marshall, Fender, Vox ect...), from there its a matter of tastes. Asking amp owners who use the products is another great source of information.

Regarding how an amp records? The amp has nothing to do with how it records, its up to the person recording it how its going to sound.
    You can make a cheezy 5watt trasistor amp sound huge with recording gear,
    and its been done many times.
    Doug

19. BrentSP

BrentSP Member

Well in my case, I find some amps record better than others. But any professional studio engineer can make a fart in a can sound great. I'm not one of them so I go the other route and find an amp that records well.

20. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

You don't have to be a pro engineer to record well, some pros actually suck at recording. All you need is a quality recorder, a good condensor mic and you're in.
    I have a 16trk 16bit recorder I used for a long time. Late last year I bought a 24trk 24bit machine. Huge difference, 16bit recorders suck butt.
    I prefer to be able to record anything I want, I think it would be a drag to have to find gear that works with a recorder.