Rock and Pop songwriters getting lazier?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by boo radley, Mar 3, 2015.

1. boo radley

boo radley Supporting Member

It struck me, listening to radio on the way home from work, how many pop songs extend lines of songs by simply either repeating a word, "You don't have to try try try try TRy tryyyy....," or just singing vowel sounds. "Oooo AAA oh oh...."

I wonder how much of this is artistic vision, as opposed to just making the line 'fit.'

Once you start listening for it, it's insidious. Obviously this is nothing new in popular music, but it sure seems a LOT more prevalent?

2. loudboy

loudboy Member

"She Loves You, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah"

3. taez555

taez555 Member

Mmm mmm mmm mmm Mmm mmm mmm mmm

4. Z_Zoquis

Z_Zoquis Member

What strikes me about modern hit songs is how few of them actually have distinct verses and choruses and so forth. So many are built around a four chord progression that never changes through the entirety of the song. There might be a little melodic thing that plays over the chorus or some other something, or a "rap" section or something. But ftmp, one progression over and over...

5. Probos

Probos Gold Supporting Member

Lol...BURN!

6. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Nah nah nah nah nah nah nah...

7. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

Asked and Answered...It's not "laziness" it's because everyone's following the same formula to achieve & maintain success.

READ! http://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...c-uniformity-sells/384181/?curator=MusicREDEF

Which leads us to...

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/12/the-shazam-effect/382237/

This is a 4 page article, below is the first page...don't be lazy, read the whole thing.

8. boo radley

boo radley Supporting Member

Uh...'ouch' I guess? I don't think that's much of a counter-example, but I'll agree there are *countless* pop and rock songs with repeated words, especially in the chorus, over the years....

And that's saying nothing of vowel noises replacing lyrics, like the weird African chanting in Peter Gabriel's 'Your Eyes'. Or whatever.

But what I'm hearing now seems...different. As if it's less a stylistic choice, than an easy way to finish and ship the song. I hear this a lot in modern country, too, where a single word or vowel is stretched/repeated: 'red red red red red red NECK, etc. Taylor Swift's 'Shake if off' -- I'm going 'shake shake shake...'

I certainly could be wrong; was interested in what those with more experience in song writing and construction thought.

9. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

I've written a lot of songs that don't use that device. Though, I'm a huge Beatles fan and would if I had some vocal support from the peanut gallery ;)

10. Lance

Lance Member

Wow, people still listen to the radio?

4-5 songs you really don't like. 4-5 songs that are ok. Lots of talking. Then 20 minutes of commercials, all to get 4 solid minutes of entertainment = inefficient waste of my time.

11. speakerjones

speakerjones Member

Radio, like FM radio? You get what you pay for, don't you? Pop music has never really been about the deep lyrical content, has it? I would say with the resurgence of folk and folk-rock, and intellectualism creeping its way into indie rock, you can find plenty of songwriters filling out the verses. You might have to do a little more than just turn the radio dial to find it though.

12. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

"Nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, hey, hey, hey, goodbye......

13. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Pop a.k.a. Top 40 radio is, and has always been, the #1 driving force in American music since the advent of electricity and sound recordings. Keeping in touch with Top 40 music should be, IMO, important for anyone connected to the music business, even if you don't like ALL of the songs.

14. kasperjensen

kasperjensen Member

There is a lot of really good songs being released. When we look back on this period in 20 years time, we will listen to them and enjoy them without generalising all music after 1978 as being generic awful pop.