ROCK LOTTO!!!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by GuitarToma, Apr 13, 2015.

1. GuitarToma

GuitarToma Silver Supporting Member

What have I signed myself up for???

Okay - Rock Lotto. I've mentioned before that I belong to a local group called Balanced Breakfast. It's a meetup for musicians, bands, promoters, etc. The goal is to help promote local live music in our area. (I'm in The Bay Area, South Bay).

So they're doing an event called Rock Lotto. 30+ musicians have put their names into a hat and names are drawn four at a time to create a band.

The funny thing is - it could be four drummers, four bass players, or any combination of whoever put their names in the hat!

We have one month to come up with a name for our new band, a Facebook page for the band, and we have to compose ten minutes of original music which will be performed at a show featuring all the bands from the Lotto on May 9th.

I've never met the other three people I'm signed up with, but I know two of them are from a celtic metal screamo band. I'm pretty sure the band consists of two guitarists, a drummer, and a singer. The whole point of this is to make us step outside our comfort zone and try something new and different. I'm pretty stoked!

I'll let y'all know how things proceed!

2. fredgarvin

fredgarvin Member

That sounds fun, odd too that you drew two guys from a band.

3. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

That sounds pretty cool to me.

4. DirtLover

DirtLover Member

I did the Rock Lotto here in Febraury - Rock Lotto III, Girl's School. It was a great experience and I meant to post the full account here but just hadn't got around to it. We had 3 guitars, 2 singers (one was the 3rd guitar), bass and drums. We played 3 covers: Groove is in the Heart, Dreams (Cranberries) and The Metro (Berlin). Nobody liked Groove so we did it super slow and spacey. Did 2 orginals, one was a groovy rock kind of the thing the other was pretty much a straight up punk song. The covers were assigned and we also threw in Rhiannon on a whim.
    I could go on, but the expereince was great. I met some great people/players, it pushed me creatively and our set went over incredibly.
    I'll just say this. I never imagined anyone moshing to Rhiannon and never thought I'd be the one playing it.

Good times, have fun!

5. hudpucker

hudpucker Supporting Member

It was called the 'Rock Lottery' in these heah parts. Lasted about 3-4 yrs or so before interest waned.

Was fun though.