"Rock music is in its jazz phase"

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by tiktok, Mar 31, 2017.

1. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

The Guardian's music editor, Michael Hann, is stepping down after eleven years. Today he wrote a farewell article with a list of some of the things he'd learned during his tenure.

#2: Rock music is in its jazz phase
    And I don’t mean it’s having a Kamasi Washington/Thundercat moment of extreme hipness. I mean it’s like Ryan Gosling’s version of jazz in La La Land: something fetishised by an older audience, but which has ceded its place at the centre of the pop-cultural conversation to other forms of music, ones less tied to a sense of history. Ones, dare I say it, more forward looking. For several years, it seemed, I was asked by one desk or another at the Guardian to write a start-of-year story about how this was the year rock would bounce back. But it never did. The experts who predicted big things for guitar bands each year were routinely wrong. No one asks for that story any longer.

Full Story

2. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

This thread is about to enter the Popcorn by Gershon Kingsley phase.

3. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

but yeah, a reasonable assessment

deeohgee, 27sauce and A-Bone like this.
  4. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

And it had such a long run that it seems reasonable it should go into decline.

5. Neer

Neer Supporting Member

Which means nothing to most of us. If your goal is to be relevant in the context of pop culture, good luck with that. Do your own thing, be the best YOU you can be.

Digits_Only, monty, chopsley and 2 others like this.
  6. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Find your own voice. Indeed. Always great advice, creative or otherwise.

Digits_Only, monty, Turi and 2 others like this.
  7. aussie_owner

aussie_owner Member

It's like the difference between fashion and style. Fashion is just following the trends, style is making it your own.

8. mvsr990

mvsr990 Supporting Member

I was listening to the newest Ty Segall album yesterday and started wondering what rock bands were pushing boundaries. I struggled to think of any - Segall, for instance, is really good, but the album is half fuzzed-out psych and half Beatles-inspired. It's definitely looking back while putting his own spin on things.

I guess there's some kinds of metal that aren't immediately indebted to the past but I don't listen to that and don't know if they are (and I just don't know the bands they're inspired on).

9. Gotham City Blues

Gotham City Blues Member

What makes rock music so damn paramount to everything else?? Cultures evolve and change. Where's the handwringing over Dixieland? Where's the sleepless nights over ragtime? What happened to the Hawaiian music craze? Why no concern that people are no longer doing the Charleston to Sing Sing Sing? Listen to and play what makes you happy and leave others -especially the youth- to do the same.

F*** rock.
    F*** guitar heroes.

Sheesh already....

bealtown, n9ne, Laurence and 9 others like this.
  10. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

Get ready for rock preservation societies

A-Bone likes this.
  11. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

The fact that rock still is the single most dominant genre in the list of top 100 grossing tours even in 2016 in a time when touring grosses are also the single biggest source of revenue in music should tell you enough about what's different about it vs Hawaiian music etc. without even discussing musical properties.

As for your comments about guitar heroes, maybe you're on the wrong site.

And there has been handwringing about the relative disappearance of other genres too. Perhaps you just don't follow them enough to know the history.

Ash Telecaster, FPFL and ZeyerGTR like this.
  12. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

Hmmmm....

And the TGP curmudgeons say...

[​IMG]

slybird and monstergirl like this.
  13. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

Yes, I agree, it's in it's jazz phase. I knew it when grown men at Bonamassa concerts were playing blow up doll guitars (icky).

14. Neer

Neer Supporting Member

The only time Rock will ever be relevant again is when black kids start playing it.

15. Duffy Pratt

Duffy Pratt Member

Nobody did the Charleston to Sing Sing Sing. Charleston is a 20s craze. Sing Sing Sing is the next generation. If you want to give historical perspective to these things, it might help to know some history. The fact is that people mourned the demise if the big bands, of jazz, the shift from jazz to fusion, the rise of rock n roll, the rise of surf music, etc..., etc...

My grandfather hated Sinatra, and couldn't understand what had happened to nice singers like Rudi Vallee. When seeing the Beatles on Ed Sullivan, my dad pronounced that no one would remember them in ten years. He was a big band guy (played trombone in local bands in the 40s). I always said I would never be like them, but I can't help feeling much the same way about today's top 40 stuff. The difference, of course, is that they were wrong, and I am right.

FPFL and Trevordog like this.
  16. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

A few more curmudgeon unfriendly recent rock songs...

Drew68 likes this.
  17. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

18. olimassaquoi

olimassaquoi Member

Rap is the new rock. Drake is the Paul McCartney(without the vocals) of this era.

Lucidology likes this.
  19. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

20. Neer

Neer Supporting Member

HipHop culture is certainly more relevant than rock or anything else, but a lot of it has gone off message. Rock did that, too, and now look at it.