• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Rock Pickups For a Les Paul?

hawkeye17

I'm getting a Gibson Faded Les Paul and was thinking about what pickups I want to toss in it? I'm looking for medium output with cut and clarity. My first thought was Suhr SSH(bridge-14k ohms) and SSV(neck- 8kohms). Any other suggestions? I play mostly blues, classic rock and 80's metal fyi.

AaeCee

Silver Supporting Member
WCR Darkburst. They've got it all; PAF tonality, clarity, smoothness, ideal output. Or maybe mix a DB neck with a WCR Goodwood or Fillmore bridge for a bit more ummph there.

MetalHeadd

I have a JB and an alnico II pro in my les paul and I think it's a fantastic combo.

I use this guitar in my 80's metal cover band almost exclusively.

DrBob

I think Seymour Duncan JB and '59 work perfectly together in a Les Paul type guitar.
+many, even in the face of ridiculously good quality pickups from an increasing army of manufacturers the combination above is still verrrry hard to beat

gtr777

Silver Supporting Member
I put a dimarzio Norton in my bridge position. it really opened up the tone of my les paul

Serious Poo

Powered by Coffee
Platinum Supporting Member
WCR Darkburst. They've got it all; PAF tonality, clarity, smoothness, ideal output. Or maybe mix a DB neck with a WCR Goodwood or Fillmore bridge for a bit more ummph there.
+1 Beat me to it.

chrisgraff

Friend of mine has a Seymour Duncan EVH in one of his Les Pauls. It just kills...kinda like a JB, but a tad more even. Just the perfect crunch & clarity.

If you thought that pickups were only for maple neck strats, think again! :dude

Young Angus

My god I'm so tempted to put a chrome JB I've got sitting around into my Les Paul. Right now I've got some sweet PAF type clones from a hand maker here in Aus and they're great, but everyone keeps saying how good a JB is in one and I've never tried it.

Honestly I used to think the BBpros were ice picky but they actually had a great crunch to them...just get them through the right amp and they rock!

MetalHeadd

My god I'm so tempted to put a chrome JB I've got sitting around into my Les Paul. Right now I've got some sweet PAF type clones from a hand maker here in Aus and they're great, but everyone keeps saying how good a JB is in one and I've never tried it.

Honestly I used to think the BBpros were ice picky but they actually had a great crunch to them...just get them through the right amp and they rock!
Do it! It'll scream!

echale3

I'm going to buck the trend and strongly recommend P-90s in a LP... No humbucker can hold a candle to the breadth of tones you can get out of a P-90. The tones from the earliest days of rock all the way through metal, they do it all...

SFW

At the moment I have a JB/59 combo. however, the Custom Custom is another great LP bridge pickup.

Lution

Burstbucker Pros.
;)

btw, Darin (the thread starter) is buying my LP Faded.

Just give the BB Pros a chance... Wait till you hear em and play with them a while before you decide. I've got them dialed in perfectly. But, if you decide to swap em out I would agree with the WCR Darkbursts. That's what I was going to put in if I ever got tired of the BB Pros, which I never did.

Trending Topics