Rock vs Jazz.

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Tag, Mar 10, 2018.

1. fenderlead

fenderlead Member

I had a look at the tv last night and I was changing channels and there is one children's channel that plays jazz overnight and then switches to childrens programs for the day, and I hear the middle of a line solo and within 2 seconds I'm thinking it sounds like George Benson and then about 10 seconds later I hear these dissonant blues cliches and I know it's the Cooker.

All of the great players can be id'd very easily, Django etc and also in Rock and Classical (I can id John Williams or Julian Bream pretty easily) etc etc.

I can always id Django as compared to his clones.

There was a time where I was taking Django stuff note for note but I gave it up after a few months because I didn't want to be an inferior Django clone and the main target for me was to learn things off of Django's playing and not be a Django clone.

The rest of us exist in a generic way as far as our playing goes.

What it actually is who knows, personality, a lot of things.

Tag likes this.
  2. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Howard Roberts too.

russ6100, Tag and The bear like this.
  3. fenderlead

fenderlead Member

David Sanborn was another player I took licks off (I also play Alto Sax) and Sanborn has this upper register sound that no other Alto player has IMO, it's unique and I could never get anywhere near it.

Sanborn' straight ahead 3 chord blues playing is some of the best blues playing I've ever heard and it turns out that he was playing with blues players when in his early teens (Albert King, Little Milton).

Quotes from Sanborn

By the age of 15, he played well enough to sit in with legendary blues men like Little Milton Campbell and Albert King.

"The sum total of what I played was like 'do dum, do dum, do dum,' some very simple part, but it was like I'm doing it," he said. "And the thrill, it was just like electric shock went through my body, and I was hooked."

At the start of his career in the early 1970s, Dave played on a B. B. King record. And decades later, appeared alongside the blues guitarist at the Montreux Jazz Festival.

"Like you're in graduate school," he said. "Every note, every attack, every silence is a learning experience, and you're learning about it in a way that you can't learn with words. It's beyond humbling."

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    russ6100 and Tag like this.
  4. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Why did you and Sting use jazz musicians??

5. Tag

Come on! You posted rock clips up before I was banned! Jamming over backing tracks.

6. Tag

Sorry Jim!! Not sure how that happend. I think it was Franck who was suppose to be quoted!

7. blueworm

blueworm Member

All Right ... fair enough ... I'll concede that to you : 'any good jazz player who also knows to rock'. Deal ? ;)

Tag likes this.
  8. blueworm

blueworm Member

I bet that:
    Barney Kessel would have sounded like Barney Kessel
    Charlie Christian would have sounded like Charlie Christian
    Django would have sounded like Django
    Metheny would have sounded like Metheny

9. Tag

That would have been AMAZING!!
    :p

Again, this is nit picking and placing wrong people in wrong situations. (Although Django and Metheny could do just about anything) Christian died way to soon, and Kessel just did not have muvh technique. All that aside, any if those guys could easily play rock, and Metheny does.

The bear likes this.
  10. The bear

The bear Member

But according to you Metheny isn't a jazz player...

chopsley likes this.
  11. The bear

The bear Member

Really? Maybe they were so bad that I should have been banned too(both from playing rock and from the gear page).
    I was worse at jazz back then, so maybe I was slightly better at rock.

Tag likes this.
  12. The bear

The bear Member

I have never heard anything from Metheny that sounded like rock. I can't imagine him playing rock. I love the guy but his distortion and overdrive sounds isn't cutting it.

kunos likes this.
  13. Tag

Sean...again, here, you are talking about a different topic. Not sure why you cant see the difference. Evans was not saying Joe Pass could pick up a guitar and become a Hendrix clone. Yet again, no other rock player could do that either. This point seems to elude you.

14. Tag

I have seen him twice, and he played long, varied shows. Both were among the best concerts I have ever seen. The guy seems unable to hit a note thats not loaded with feeling. Sanborn and Benson, more than anyone else, are the two guys who got me into jazz.

I remember years before I ever played guitar, I loved the sax playing on Bowies "Young Americans". I did not even LIKE horns in rock at that point, but that playing touched my soul. David Sanborn.

15. Tag

Correct! Lets scratch him from the list!! :p

The bear likes this.
  16. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

I think he refers to American Garage as his 'rock' album.

dsimon665 and The bear like this.
  17. smj

smj Member

You're right... I learned my lesson!

Sean Meredith-Jones
    www.seanmeredithjones.com

18. Tag

I remember you were pissed because Lerner sounded so much better. Your words, not mine. Scott could smoke on those blues/jazz/pop songs. Lol! He posted some fantastic clips, but so did you. And there was a killer jazz player "Sean Purcell" or something like that. I think he was in the air force or army jazz band, cant remember. Great player though. Fun times!! You got really mad at me for saying you should learn more traditional stuff one time. Ha! And now you did and your a monster! Lol!!

19. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

He still around?

20. Tag

Ha! You used them because you knew they had the skills to do it. I bet Sting wanted the best players too. He got them.
    :beer