Rock You To The Ground - Michael Schenker 's finest solo

Go Cat Go!!

I went back and listened to Rock You to the Ground. I take back what I said earlier. The outro is very nice. It just doesn't flow like Schenker normally does. Off that same album Desert Song flows much more smoothly.

I had forgotten this about this album. Thanks for reminding me. I spent hours trying to get the intro to Captain Nemo down.

I'm an idiot. Capt Nemo is on Built to Destroy. It still rocks though.

Sancho

I've always been partial to Assault Attack because of the songs and production, as others have already remarked.
As a guitar showcase it lacks the abundance I expect. The leads are more concise and somehow subdued.

In general I don't have a problem with Bonnet. Sure, he only has one gear "GO", but when the songs are right he can usually pull it off. His performance on AA is a career peak for sure.

As for singers, other than Mogg, Schenker's best singer was probably Leif Sundin. Check out the overlooked album Written In The Sand.
Barden, as lousy a singer as he is, was the voice of MSG though. No arguing there.

fetchmybeer

It just struck me how many great guitar players Graham Bonnet has worked with. Blackmore, MS, Malmsteen, Vai...

fenderlead

There are so many great solos from the MSG era.
If I was forced to pick one it would be this : 2:30

I havn't heard much Schenker but man some of that solo reminds me of early Blackmore.

Same sort of note choices and phrasing in some of the licks.

ungarn

I listened to it again during my morning commute today...Rock You To The Ground is untouchable Schenker!!!

BIGGERSTAFF

I've always been partial to Assault Attack because of the songs and production, as others have already remarked.
As a guitar showcase it lacks the abundance I expect. The leads are more concise and somehow subdued.

In general I don't have a problem with Bonnet. Sure, he only has one gear "GO", but when the songs are right he can usually pull it off. His performance on AA is a career peak for sure.

As for singers, other than Mogg, Schenker's best singer was probably Leif Sundin. Check out the overlooked album Written In The Sand.
Barden, as lousy a singer as he is, was the voice of MSG though. No arguing there.
Kelly Keeling and Chris Logan were good as well.

gtrjake

Favorite Schenker leads:
High Flyer
Let it Roll
Mother Mary
Love to Love

And, if you haven't checked it out, the UFO album "Walk on Water" has some of his best playing IMO.

gtrdave

What???? Graham Bonnett was the best singer Schenker ever worked with. Assault Attack is by far his best record, besides the UFO records.
As much as I like the Assault Attack record overall, Gary Barden was a MUCH more versatile singer than Graham "I scream everything" Bonnet.

As far as the best Schenker solo...it's unpossible to pick one. :munch

JTM100

As far as Assault Attack, my personal favorite solo is from "Ulcer". I also really like the solo from "Rock Will Never Die" off of "Built To Destroy" The solos on "Lights Out" and "Rock Bottom" from the "Unforgiven Tour" live album are also personal favorites. There are really too many great ones to list.

Trending Topics