Rockabilly amps?

Tommy_G

Played a 1956 replica Fender Tweed Super (... 5F4???) type circuit today with 2x10 Jensen P10Rs

Surprisingly addictive. Am I correct that I felt like I was playing a "real" rockabilly amp?

I could see myself having one around.

What amp builders have perfected this concept? (Eg. Top Hat has a model they call a Super also.. with a few extra controls..)

Any other amp models I should be thinking of?

Last edited:

Tommy_G

No expert.... but I always saw Bassmans as THE Rockabilly amp.
What I like about the super compared to a bassman was it was lighter / smaller combo.. moderated volume... spunded so open and dynamic at a decent volume.

blackmonday

In my 20 years of gigging with Rockabilly bands, the guy with the best tone was Luis from Hellbound Hayride, playing a Duo Jet thru a 4x10 Fender Deville.

C-4

For Rock-a-Billy, for me anyway, it is more important to have the slap back echo set up correctly, then anything else.

I don't use distortion playing Rock-a-Billy, but I do like a bit of boost from a compressor and additionally have the ratio set no higher then 2.5 to 1.

chappy

You might look at a tweed pro type amp as well. I have played a lot in that style and love what 15’s do with dynasonics. Guitar into slap into reverb tank into tweed into a JBL D-130 is just about perfect. The tweed super is excellent as well but won’t hold together on the low lows like the 15 in the pro.

Muttlyboy

Silver Supporting Member
I think the 6G6 Bassman is a Brian Setzer thing (and the modern Rockabilly Guys taking their lead from Mr Setzer)

Back in the 50's I'm thinking a lot of Original Rockabilly Guys were playing Fender Tweed amps and some Gibson and Valco amps.

Trending Topics