Rockabilly licks...

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by JimH, Apr 1, 2008.

1. JimH

JimH Member

Ended up playing an impromptu rock and roll set to satisfy a retirement crowd last week, got me thinking I fancied having a few more licks in the repertoire - yes I can listen to hundreds of records yadda yadda but I just fancied a few licks to flash around if and when it happens again - come on guys you know the score!

so....any thoughts on somewhere to look for a few licks, the more challenging/interesting the better really, thanks...

2. GA19RVT

GA19RVT Member

Man, if you want to up your rockabilly lick knowledge, get the Brian Setzer Hotlicks DVD. That thing is a gold mine of rock, blues, jazz, swing and county licks--which is what Rockabilly is made out of! I've had a tape or disc of that thing for 10+ years and it still isn't getting old.

3. jjboogie

jjboogie Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgUCs72RDHs

Go to Youtube and type in Brian Setzer Guitar lesson and you will find more than enough! :AOK

4. JimH

JimH Member

I was considering one of his DVDs do they come with TAB? Better to get a book? I find it much easier to learn the runs with tab or something.

5. cacibi

cacibi Member

I would actually suggest going another route.

I'm a firm believer that a lot of rockabilly licks are just warmed over western swing riffs. There's a great book by Joe Carr called 60 Hot Licks for Western Swing Guitar.

I say go to the source - the same well the original rockabilly players drank from. I think a lot of early Marty Robbins stuff really shows the overlap. Scotty Moore/Hank Garland stuff with Elvis as well. If Scotty Moore wasn't a Merle Travis fan - then I'll eat a thumb pick.

6. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

best DVD, far and away, for rockabilly is by Paul Pigat.....just an amazing guitarist from a Canadian band, Cousin Harley.

http://www.amazon.com/Rockabilly-Guitar-Paul-Pigat/dp/B000LC4Y4U

The Setzer vid is good, but more scattered. Pigat is focused, well-filmed and well-organized.

His "Travis Picking" DVD is equally awesome.....and a good companion piece.

Here's some clips and live stuff.....also looks like he has a brand new DVD, too!

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=paul+pigat&search_type=

7. JimH

JimH Member

Wow thanks guys - really good info there.

8. Jules6120

Jules6120 Member

+ 1 for the Brian Setzer video.
    Also look at the Danny Gatton videos which are incredible!
    The 2 DVD set by Jim Weider:[FONT=arial,helvetica]Rockabilly Guitar Vol.1 and Vol.2 is great and pretty easy![/FONT]

9. doublee

doublee Member

Doug Seven vols 3&4 are pretty dang good, and if you log onto his site, this weekend hes practically giving them away for some reason. Its good stuff. I only know this because he just sent out an email today. I dont know why hes giving them away but I would jump,

google him,

ee

10. Poppa Stoppa

Poppa Stoppa Member

11. gunther23

gunther23 Member

+1 on the Paul Pigat videos.

While I love Setzer and you can cop some licks, I walked away from the Pigat DVD's with more. YMMV.

12. jpfeiff

jpfeiff Member

Amazon link says out of stock:try this link!

http://www.learnrootsmusic.com/

I know Doug Cox, the guy who produces these videos, from a guitar camp I've attended a few times. Great guy, great dobro player, and all-around fun to jam with kind of guy!