Rockabilly, Rock'n'roll and Blues guys..

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Turi, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Turi

Turi Member

..how do you do it?

I mean, for real, how do you play the same chords for 4 hours straight at a gig, with little to no variation, and not get bored?

My band is close to having a full amount of songs to gig with, ready to go but mate, I'm telling you - I got tired of all the songs basically being the same thing a couple weeks ago.

I want different chord progressions. Different styles. Not just locked into the same thing.
    I get there are some differences between songs. Different stop-starts. Different dynamics.
    Different feels to all the songs, totally get it.

..but man, when you're seriously playing a whole load of 12 bars (or very similar) in E or A, I mean, it mushes your brain.

How do you guys do it? What's the secret?
    I do love the music. I can totally listen to it for days on end.
    When it comes to actually playing the same things over and over and over and over man. So hard.

One thing I've also noticed and perhaps it's just me and my lack of ability, but I find it hard to really communicate my messages on guitar when playing these styles of music for so long.
    I find it hard to make people, even myself, really feel the songs and hit 'em where it hurts.
    It's like the chords don't allow for that. Little to no minor chords.
    I'm fond of the old 1-6-4-5 myself and of course, we play like no 6 chords, don't get to hit 'em in the feels over the minor changes etc etc.

I don't know.
    I'm almost regretting what I'm doing, but I feel like it's something I personally am lacking in my playing.
    I don't know how to mix it up, with what we're doing, so that I can satisfy my own needs/wants for musical exploration.

I want to make people really feel things when this band starts hitting clubs.
    I'm not sure I can do it when we're playing the same things over and over and without those tasty minor changes.

I'm actually thinking of completely buggering the songs, and saying hey, for this song, let's change to this progression or this progression, so when I solo, the whole vibe changes and I get a chance to really express myself some more.. then when I'm ready, kick it back to the actual song progression.

I don't know. I'm rambling on.
    It's a real thing though and I'd love some insight into the world of people who are gigging and in a similar situation - playing uber similar chord progressions all night..

2. jonnytexas

jonnytexas Member

When you play blues at an advanced level there is a lot more to it than three chords. I actually wonder how some (******) rock bands play all night with no dynamics and a ton of crappy effects to cover up their lack of ability. There are HUNDREDS of shuffle variations.

3. Turi

Turi Member

Yeah same here.
    What is an advanced blues level?

Right now we have a slew of (mostly rockabilly and rock'n'roll) songs that are the same progression. Different feel/vibes and stop-starts etc, a few of 'em have little bridges or variations, but mostly, it's the same thing over and over.
    The blues we do have at the moment is like standard sorta stuff, Sweet Home Chicago, Hoochie Coochie Man.. thought about Before You Accuse Me, we got Mustang Sally but it's not really bluesy.. Thrill Is Gone.. I mean yeah these songs all sound different but it's the part where you're physically playing the same thing that sorta gets to me.. we got more than that, just examples..

They're super similar in structure.
    Thrill Is Gone is a funny one, it's a good chance for me to express some different emotions on the guitar, but at the same time it's slow as hell and will clear the floor.

4. jonnytexas

jonnytexas Member

Hi Listhp, WTF, you changed your name? Here is a blues tune with some nice chords and great dynamics. Enjoy.

Turi likes this.
  5. Turi

Turi Member

Yeah, this was my name when I first joined in 2011. Merged accounts after I remembered this password.

Cheers for the track, I've actually heard that one before! I'm not sure my dudes are down with anything that's not like.. walking bass lines and the same thing over and over.

As the guitarist in a trio, I know its totally on ME to make the chords, I can do whatever I want.
    It's just that what I want to do never really "fits" with what's going on and I get sorta forced into playing the same **** all the time.

6. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

Weren't you soliciting rock/blues-ish song titles a little while back?
    Didn't you get a great variety that fit that genre?
    You've explored all the Setzer stuff that is related to blues and rockabilly, amongst so much more?
    If you want to cut your own trail you will have to dig deep.

Turi likes this.
  7. Turi

Turi Member

Yeah man and I love it all but what we're playing in the band is the same progressions over and over and it's kinda hard to do.
    We need to introduce some Setzer for sure, he's got a fair few killer tracks that aren't the same progressions.
    For whatever reason, I don't feel like the fellas are up for anything that's not basically the same as what we're already doing.

I love the music don't get me wrong.
    But I mean for ****sakes how many songs do we actually need to do the same progression with.
    It's getting old really fast and I don't know how to spice it up.

I don't feel like I get a chance to express myself on guitar.
    My chord inversions and voicings, that work for other people, just don't really seem to fit.
    I have to play straight down the line, how the song was played, or it don't sound right.
    I also can't lay back as much as I'd like, or, for whatever reason.. the song lacks direction..

8. Tone_Terrific

With lead vocals, too, you are a burdened man.
    No place to hide, noodle or doodle if you drop the essence of the song the ship sinks.
    Get a harp player.:D
    Really really.:aok

Turi likes this.
  9. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

Chord substitutions, inversions, 2 and 3 note chords, double-stops, passing tones, etc. The list goes on and on. There are a million ways to spice up a I-IV-V. Listen to some jazz greats. They're masters at this.

10. Tone_Terrific

You have to get to the Robben Ford, Rory Gallagher, SRV, Brian Setzer level to jump the bar without help.... (i.e. another player who can add variety.)
    And those guys had ACE players on board.
    Furthermore, if I have followed Mr Ripper's adventure properly, this is a relatively new band.
    Wizards need time to learn the tricks, even in Oz.

Turi likes this.
  11. Turi

Turi Member

I guess you could say you're...

*puts sunnies on*

..Hip to the Rip.

But seriously yeah I need to get to that level to keep it interesting.
    I might try just throw some more call and response style stuff see if it helps me out.

It's not so much the blues as the rockabilly and rocknroll.. Every song, exact same. Every solo non-stop rippage and I would prefer to let other emotions and feels come out to play and try to make people feel more than just the rip..
    I mean I just burn up the fretboard so fast it's not funny.. I don't feel like punters will be able to digest my tasty playing.

Every time it's like the same base for the solo too. So hard to be different, it notes me to death whereas listening to it doesn't ie Setzer or even my OWN playing.
    It's the physically playing the same **** all the time that's doing my head in.

12. Gallus

Gallus Member

Carn man, every time you start these threads, tgp throws up 20+ pages of awesomeness. Just sift through 'em, smash 'em out and you'll be golden.

It's funny you should bring this up, though, I'm in the process of leaving the 50s r'n'r/rockabilly band I'm in after just one year because (among other reasons) the setlist has way too many songs THAT ARE EXACTLY THE FKING SAME, no-one can be bothered learning/has the time to learn new stuff, and the gigs are, like, 4 sets minimum ('cause the audiences we mostly play to are r'n'r dance buffs who don't drink, and therefore don't pass out/get kicked out for being arses).

There's tons of cool stuff out there. 50s r'n'r is mostly stolen blues and country songs, which lead so easily into swing, jump, honky tonk, etc.

P.S. throw in some J O'K/Easybeats/Chain/Max Merritt gear. The Baby Boomers in your audience (of which I'm betting Hervey Bay has no shortage) will absolutely lose.their.sh*t

Turi likes this.
  13. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Get the Sam Phillips compilation...Elvis, Howlin' Wolf, Johnny Cash, Charlie Rich, Jerry Lee Lewis...so many styles. Still bored?
    While you are at it: read the Sam Phillips biography.

dez and Turi like this.
  14. Turi

Turi Member

Oh yeah there's loads of boomers and older folks here for sure, it'll work, no doubt.

But yeah same as you - playing the exact same song over and over is beyond ****ed.
    Hard to do.
    Couple that with how fast they are and you gotta rip out solos like crazy, over music you're getting kinda over!

Other guys are totally not on board for country music or anything along those lines whereas I would love to.
    I want to do just normal, good songs. Thinking the whole niche thing might not be for me ATM but I'll keep at it..

Non drinkers is a big problem for me.
    That's not what I want our band to be about.
    Not the experience I'm looking to provide.

I want dirty filthy sweaty drunks dancin' and ravin' up a disgusting storm in the putrid QLD heat.

Gallus likes this.
  15. gmann

gmann Member

I thought I knew my way around a 12 bar until I went to the west coast for a few yrs. I lived in Huntington Bch in the early '90's and right away I was introduced to Junior Watson, Ramos, Holmstrom, Alex Schultz and tons of other guys. Junior Watson told me to get the Mickey Baker book, 'it's all in there' he said. I'm still working out of that book. There are endless ways to play a I, IV, V. Yeah it's still 3 chords basically but if you have the background and even a little bit of imagination the possibilities are endless.

burns, Turi and shredtrash like this.
  16. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

If you're playing Rockabilly, Rock N Roll and Blues during the night and it all sounds the same then I'd suggest that you're really really really doing it wrong.

PdL, A440, sanhozay and 2 others like this.
  17. vintagelove

vintagelove Member

Jazz my friend, welcome to the dark side.

GuitarsFromMars, burns and Turi like this.
  18. aldocello

aldocello Member

I have a suggestion. Pick a couple of songs that stray from the I IV V pattern. Learn them and introduce them to your bandmates. Try to get them onboard to learn these songs. Practice them together. If they balk at learning them find another band; preferably a band that has more experience and a broader list of songs.

Turi likes this.
  19. Turi

Turi Member

What's the name of the book?

Yeah it's mostly all rockabilly and it' all sounds the same.
    To be fair I don't think it's actually the songs for some of em!
    Some of these songs have different bass lines to what we're playing with and I've mentioned this but nothing changes.
    I've also mentioned for some songs, for a little variety, keep playing the signature riff I.e Jailhouse Rock, Hoochie Coochie Man etc, and I'll solo over that and play off the riff and the space but NOPE insert generic 12 bar walking bass.

You know little things like that could make each sing really stand out and be different.

Already a step ahead of you and shot a few suggestions up that are all different yet not far off of the 12 bar form, a couple Prince songs for instance.

See how it goes.. They've already said when I've suggested similar things before that they don't want to be a "generic cover band" and want to stick to our niche...

20. Moxsam

Moxsam Member

You're gonna get bored playing anything over and over in a band situation. Focus on the chicks dancing, that's what is important.

harry65 and Turi like this.