Rockabilly technique

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by rustneversleeps, Jun 28, 2008.

1. rustneversleeps

rustneversleeps Member

My apologies if this was addressed before, but I couldn't find anything in the search function.

Can anyone recommend a book on techniques for rockabilly guitar. Something that will show a diagram or explanation or riff examples of the syncopated bass note and accompaniment picking, multi-string soloing, and maybe fingerstyle. I've watched numerous lessons on YouTube, but my learning capacity is that I need to read something and figure it out that way. Thanks, guys.

2. Niblos

Niblos Member

3. rustneversleeps

rustneversleeps Member

Thanks, Robbie
    I was also looking at:
    "The Best of Rockabilly: A Step-by-Step Breakdown of the Guitar Styles and Techniques of the Rockabilly Greats" by Dave Rubin.

4. jonhope

jonhope Member

Paul Pigats DVD's are excellent resources - http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&search-alias=dvd&field-keywords=Paul Pigat (and he is one heck of a player as well)

:drink

5. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Arlen Roth should be another great source for Rockabilly technique, just as he is for rock, blues, soul, and country technique. Look for his videos and lessons.

6. karmadave

karmadave Member

7. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

The National Guitar Workshop created this course for me. I mean it! I asked for a rockabilly course, they told me they'd add one if I could give them an "at least 6 students paid in full" guarantee, which I did by finding 5 friends to join me (including Jon C, Tony V, and Jordan of this very forum). It was awesome. Give it a try.

[FONT=&quot]Rockabilly, Psychobilly, and Surf with Mark Gamsjager

Perfect for the student who wants to learn the niche styles of rockabilly, psychobilly, and surf guitar. Improve your tone and lead and rhythm playing as you discuss artists such as Eddie Cochran, Cliff Gallub, Chuck Berry, Carl Perkins, Tiger Army, Reverend Horton Heat, Brian Seltzer, Dick Dale, and Eddie Angel.[/FONT]

http://www.guitarworkshop.com/search.php?style=7

Here's a pic of my first year class.

[​IMG]

However, truth be known, I'd learned an equal amount of rockabilly-useful material and techniques, the year prior, at the predecessor to this current class (the predecessor was named, "Hot Country Licks"):

Twang 101
    [FONT=&quot]Faculty Member: Jason Loughlin[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

This class will look at the full spectrum of twang, focusing on both its history and its future. Taking a close look at players of the past and their contemporaries, students will be exposed to music by Chet Atkins, Duane Eddy, Jimmy Bryant, Brian Setzer, Jim Campilongo, and many more. Covering topics such as pedal steel bends, redneck jazz, double stops, and western swing, this class is perfect for musicians wanting to add that country twang sound to their playing.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]You know what they say: rockabilly was formed when blues met country and had a bastard child. Now most of us know some blues, way fewer of us really know country. But if you want to kick ass on rockabilly, the ability to play country - right and left hand techniques - is essential.
    [/FONT]

8. johnboggs

johnboggs Member

9. rustneversleeps

rustneversleeps Member

I appreciate all the input. Gives me lots of choices!

Jon--yes, I think I'm going to revisit some of the Travis picking I usually reserve for Paul Simon stuff. Thanks.

10. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

"Masters of the Telecaster" by Arlen Roth

Very, very cool.

Just about everything that has become stylized on the Tele.

Great resource for Rockabilly and anything else tele-wize.
    From Clarence White to Danny Gatton to Roy Buchanon to Carl Perkins.etc...

11. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I own some of these same DVDs. For some people, DVDs work very well. For me, they don't, I just don't learn well watching videos, I'm a "live interaction/real time back and forth" learner. That's why, for me, the five National Guitar Workshop classes I've taken 5 different summers were a godsend. They have really made all the difference in my playing (with the Hot Country Licks class, suprisingly, topping the list - especially useful for my rockabilly playing).

12. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

13. Loud Librarian

Loud Librarian Member