Rockbox Boiling Point LE Overdrive/Boost

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by roquero, Feb 18, 2009.

1. roquero

roquero Supporting Member

I have a Rockbox Boiling Point LE Overdrive/Boost on the way which I recently won in a contest Haven't seen too much info on it on the web- no sound clips or videos at least. I wonder if anyone here has any experience with this pedal. If so, what are your opinions and what would you compare it to?

2. roquero

[​IMG]Well, no one answered my post but I finally got my Rockbox today- here are my first impressions:
    Beautiful swirly marble finish and bright blue LED- looks nice!
    Plugged it in to my silverface Champ [modded by SoFlo amps] and my Fender EC signature strat- not impressed at first, but then...
    I began tweaking it- wow!
    The Rockbox has 3 knobs on top: Gain [sets overall volume], Drive [sets amount of distortion, or boost in clean boost mode] and Tone [sets amount of treble boost]
    There are 3 toggle switches in the middle- the left one is a Bass Boost- up position yields boosted bass, down is normal setting.
    The right toggle is the Drive/ Boost select- and this is a great feature of this pedal- it can be 3 different types of pedals in one.
    In Up position you get symetrical clipping- a darker Plexi sound- this was my favorite.
    I set the Drive about 2 o'clock- past that level the gain didn't do much, but at 2 o'clock I hit the Sweet Spot- tone also at 2- gain way low so as to not provoke an eviction notice ;)
    I got a nice Marshall crunch, not an over the top crunch like the MI Audio crunchbox, but a solid punchy crunch that retained the articulation of the individual notes of the chord, even thirds!
    The other thing I noticed is that this is THE most quiet dirt pedal I have ever played- it adds no noise or extraneous junk to your signal- very impressive! [other dirt pedals I have: Crunchbox, Ross Distortion, Keeley modded Rat, Maxon OD9 Pro plus, Bad Monkey- none can match this pedal in that regard]
    In the plexi setting I was able to get a punchy but articulated sound somewhat like Mick Jones of The Clash circa "Give 'Em Enough Rope" [started playing the intro to "Complete Control" and nailed it with the Plexi setting!]
    With the plexi setting, you really have to boost the volume [gain] compared with the other 2 toggle settings, or it's not loud enough.
    In the middle toggle position you get a Clean Boost. In contrast with the plexi setting, you have to really be careful with the Volume [gain], as the diodes are out of the circuit and it gets quite loud!
    I don't have any use for Clean Boost, although using more or less the same settings as the Plexi I was able to get a nice tone for arpeggiated chords that gave the sound a little grit while still retaining the articulation of the notes.
    The down toggle position gives you Asymetrical clipping. The volume [gain] on this setting is much louder than the plexi, but not as loud as the clean boost. This is the type of clipping you get on the Boss SD1, but once again, the Rockbox is quieter and has more articulation of notes.
    Initial summary: this is a very versatile pedal, and perfect for a player like me who likes power amp distortion but also does a lot of chord work and arpeggios.
    The fact that it minimized extraneous noise and hiss makes it perfect to leave on all the time.
    At first I found no use for the Bass Boost, but putting my pickup selector in the neck position, and turning the EC strat TBX tone control to cut treble and add bass, I got the famous "woman tone" that made leads sing and made chords played on the highest frets muscular and punchy.
    Although it is a versatile pedal, you will not be able to do a lot of switching of settings between songs without having to bend over and flip toggle switches and readjust the settings. [and the gain/volume levels between the plexi/clean boost/asymmetrical positions are huge!]
    The pedal could have been more useful in a live settings if footswitches were used instead of toggle switches, but then the pedal itself would have to have been larger [as it is, it is small-no bigger than an MXR Dynacomp, so it does not take up much pedalboard real estate]. I imagine adding more footswitches would also affect the tone.
    I am impressed with the Boiling Point, although I have only used it for an hour, and look forward to using it some more in a live setting where I can really crank up the amp.
    I find it surprising that there is so little information on the web about this pedal. I found maybe two reviews on HC, and no video reviews on YouTube [maybe I will be the first!].
    Chris Campbell of Rockbox should start a long waiting list for these things- that might start picking up the momentum!
    I won this box in a contest from Premier Guitar Magazine, and I want to thank them for giving me the opportunity and for the great work they do- best gear magazine in my opinion! [before this contest, I had no faith in these giveaways, always thought you had to be someone's cousin to win, but hey, if someone with no luck like me can win, so can you!].

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  3. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Anyone else checked into these?

4. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^

Any other updates? Does it work well as a "more" pedal in front of a dirty amp (non-master)?

Is it worth 3x a simple OCD? I am on the list, but it might be overkill for my needs.

5. mjm59

mjm59 Member

Here's another more recent thread about the pedal.
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=612949

I'm still working with the pedal, but I have found the clean boost to be the best sound for my tastes, in that it distorts but still retains the original tone of your rig. The clean boost also seems to be the best position when feeding it into another overdrive/distortion. The bass boost really helps single coils to achieve more of a massive tone, but they still sound like single coils. I'm using a 9v power supply, but it will take up to 18v and I'd like to try that someday to see if it enables the pedal to clean up completely when you back off the guitar volume, although it's still reasonably clean with 9v.

6. Axeaholic

Axeaholic Supporting Member

Review coming up on it soooon

7. rcl

rcl Member

Had mine a week or two. Absolutely kills. I also use the clean setting, knobs all at 9 oclockish, fat switch up to add girth and grit to my amp sounds. Havent tried 18V yet. Maybe this week. It also works well in the other positions. Turns my goodsell into a beast. My favorite pedal, though I like to have two hooked up. Slot#2 bounces between a hotcake and a bob burn. They both play nice with the RB.

8. harritone

harritone Supporting Member

Whats the difference between a Rockbox Boiling Point "LE" and one that is not an "LE"?...

9. roquero

LE means "Limited Edition"

I guess that since I was one of the early recipients of the pedal, it was an LE

Looks like they have dropped the LE from the name now that RB is ramping up production, but I don't believe there exists any difference in the pedals other than the name

10. madaxeman

madaxeman Member

Funny I was just about to answer this and totally agree. I believe these were just going to be a limited run until they got such a good response that Chris found out he could sell them as fast as he could build them, ala the Butler Tube Driver which has been on a limited edition run for I don't know, going on 3 yrs now. :rolleyes:

11. Nikki74

Nikki74 New Member

ill buy it right now, where should I send the paypal payment?

12. bsic

bsic Member

So anyone have any more thoughts on this pedal? Ive got one on the way - curious to see what yall think of it so far

13. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

It's a very cool pedal in the tubescreamer vein. Imo, it's the swiss army tubescreamer.

14. roquero

You have to be careful with the volume on the 3 different toggle switch settings as they vary in volume radically from assymetrical to clean boost to plexi setting, even with the same gain level!

The clean boost is the loudest and the plexi the least louder of the three.

I had been using the plexi setting stacking it with a Timmy after it, but now I switched my setup on my board and the RB is last in the chain with the clean boost setting, preceded by a WIIO, Keeley modded Rat2, KOT, and Timmy!

RB at 18 volts

15. bsic

bsic Member

wow-- had mine two days and this thing is totally awesome. Still playing with it, but this does have quite a lot of good settings in it. wish i had 3 of them :(

16. Evansexcellent

Evansexcellent Member

I got my boiling point today and I am blown away. Ever play od's and think there is something about it that's just not quite there... Not this one. I've had tons of od's such as OCD v2, keeley mod plus and baked, sparkle drive, maxon od9, ts9 and 808, and many more nothing is as clean and dirty and transparent. Every setting sounds killer. Worth every penny. Can't wait to try stacking it with other pedals and try it at 18v.
    Go buy one you won't be disappointed.

17. JeffOlson

JeffOlson Member

^ I heartily agree. An outrageously good overdrive. Love mine.

18. Doug59

Doug59 Supporting Member

It's my favorite OD.

19. cyrilwood

cyrilwood Member

20. aawshred

aawshred Member

I feel like an outcast but lately I haven't liked mine that much. I think it's great for smooth singing lead tones but ive never had good experiences with it as a rhythm pedal. I like that it has a lot of gain and does wall era tones pretty well.