Rockbox Red Dog, Sweet Honey OD, or the Timmy

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by yk93, Feb 26, 2012.

1. yk93

yk93 Member

Hi,

Just wondering what everyone's take are on these pedals. Currently, I'm using both a Rockbox Boiling Point and Zen Drive, and I've been contemplating getting a third OD possibly to stack, was wondering what your takes are on these 3 pedals. I've heard the Red Dog is a fine pedal on its own, but made also to stack well with the Boiling Point, and the Timmy's transparency makes it a winner, where as the Sweet Honey really responds well to the dynamics of your playing.

What do you think, any opinions greatly appreciated. :D

2. B-Nads

B-Nads Supporting Member

I've only tried the SHOD and Timmy. If you're looking for more a boost in your stacking then the Timmy would be the better option - I find it more transparent then the SHOD. It also has as good if not better touch sensitivity than the SHOD. I do find the Timmy a little brittle and harsh at high gain settings, where the SHOD is creamier. Both sound awesome.

3. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I think it'd be helpful to know what guitar and amp you're using, what kind of music you like...

4. yk93

yk93 Member

Well, nothing special. American standard strat with 54 CS pickups into an AC15 for home use. Music wise, anything along the lines of Robben Ford to Mayer. Pedal wise, really digging anything that responds well in terms of giving you clean sound to an OD sound depending on your playing, and that's mainly what I'm looking for.

5. billfoma

billfoma Member

6. HBob

HBob Member

I think with the SHOD you'll find some similar tones you have in the Boiling Point. I really like both those pedals. The SHOD is good for goosing the Boiling Point. I think they sound great together and having both keeps you in the same tone neighborhood. I had a Timmy for a while and traded it toward the Boiling Point. The Timmy was just not doing much for me but I can see how people like them. The Red Dog is cool and a lot different than the Boiling Point or any of the other pedals mentioned. There's a lot of bass and treble. It's very open and not compressed sounding. So it sounds huge with the Boiling Point running into it. Adds a lot of girth and presence. On its own it sounds pretty gritty and tweedy to me.

7. hawes

hawes Member

I own all 3 including a boiling point. The timmy I find to be great as a tone shaper or a booster. It works well with just about anything. The sweet honey OD is very cool...works like an amp. Its a tad on the bright side but has a great crunchy sound when cranked. I like it into my darker sounding mesa rectoverb. I am not too familiar with Vox amps but where Vox's have the natural upper mids and highs thing going on it might be too much of a good thing with your amp. The red dog OD is very warm sounding and might be a great contrast with your amp. It has a good amount of gain availble with it and has a ton of volume to be used as a fat boost. The pedal's tone has a fuzzy quality to it at times and is a great counterpart to the boiling point. You might want to search on how a red llama sounds with your amp as the Red Dog OD is supposed to be very similar.

I dont really like to stack pedals all that much as I would rather use the amp's OD. But the Timmy is a great stacker if thats what you are looking to do with this third OD pedal.