Rocker 30 or Budda SD18?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rollyfoster, Aug 15, 2008.

1. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

i've narrowed my new amp mission down to these 2 candidates (although i'm still intrigued by a JCM800) and am having trouble making the decision since i'm going purely off youtube clips and reviews.

the main point of conflict is with the clean channel situation.

i really do like raunchy, british, marshally tones, which it seems both amps can cover very well.

i also do play in a funky afrobeat project so i do need good cleans available. nothing too shimmery necessary because i still like a little spank on it.

i'm a bit concerned about having no EQ on the rocker clean channel (no rational explanation, it just seems weird) and i don't want to add an EQ pedal because i'm really slimming down on the pedalboard.

i'm coming from a mark IV, so ease of use is very attractive.

on one end i'm leaning rocker 30 because it looks so freaking easy to use.

the budda's attractive with the FX loop and looks to have a tad more versatility while maintaining simplicity.

my strat is surf green so it's going be a visual nightmare either way.

2. reddog112

reddog112 Member

I have a Budda SD30 and the amp is pretty simple. The Orange is a great amp also. Clean headroom on the Budda is limited but you can get alot of flavors out of the clean channel. If you crank the clean it gives some crunch and the bright switch is helpful. I think it comes down to how clean do you need your funk tones to be.

3. rollyfoster

fairly clean. would the rocker stay cleaner at higher volumes? i'm rarely in a situation that i have to turn up too loud for, anyways. most gigs are at places that mic the amp.

4. Andre357

Andre357 Member

FWIW - I use the SD18 1x12 combo in a band and use the clean channel about 75 - 80 % of the time. We do a lot of soul,country, R&B, Motown, even jazz and dance stuff and the 18 watter has turned out to be just right, for me anyway...

We also rock with reckless abandon on occasion and the drive channel certainley comes in handy for that :)

I've never felt I didn't have enough clean headroom believe it or not ( I do use single coils exclusively, maybe that helps )....that's with horns, keys, etc., and some aggressive drumming on occasion.

I put a clean boost in the loop of my budda, I can get obnoxious amounts of clean loud volume when needed , It's seems the power amp section can take a beating before clipping in this amp...

I think one of the reasons the budda's seem so loud ( the 1x12 combos anyway ) is because the budda speakers are very effecient. I think they're rated at 105db or 110 db or something. Very loud speakers that can fill a club if needed ( although I'm just about always miced up )

IMHO & YMMV and all that..

5. Andre357

Andre357 Member

^^ also purple and green and black is a great color combo so i would go with the budda :cool:

6. tennisplayer

tennisplayer Senior Member

Not a fan of the Rocker cleans.

7. mtmartin71

mtmartin71 Silver Supporting Member

I owned both amps. The Rocker is a little more unhinged and raw while the Budda has some more refinement to it. I think the Budda gets to a gainier sound quicker whereas the Rocker is more vintage and doesn't get really gainy until it gets past 75% on the drive dial. Keep in mind that without an effects loop, getting a good volume boost is very hard with a Rocker 30. If you are playing in a band with another guitarist, you'll have to use the guitar volume technique to adjust. With a Budda, you can stick a boost or EQ in the loop. For clean channels, neither is super strong but you can at least EQ the Budda. Keep in mind though that the Budda is a shared EQ with the drive channel. Hope this helps.

8. m@2

m@2 Member

+1 only liked the overdriven tones on my Rocker 30, i sold it because of the clean tone

9. Mcclassic

Mcclassic Member

Orange to me is ok but never love the tones as much as with the Budda, the budda is very versatil and can ge great cleans but I think that it's more prone to overdrive than the Orange.

The overdrives and leads are more harmonics and smooth to me on the budda.

10. Green Pro Am

Green Pro Am Supporting Member

I have the Rockerverb 50 and I actually like the clean channel on it (great reverb). It is 6v6 based reather than the 34s that come in the Rocker 30. The gain channel on the 50 is just outstanding. when I goot mine, I was down to it and a Budda SD30. I went with the Orange because I found the gain channel to be more to my liking. Additionally, the master volume on the Orange has a much smoother taper and is very usable.

The downside is that the 50 is a bit more money.

11. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

I like them both, but the Budda Superdrive amps are some of the all time best designs ever IMHO. The clean(er) channel is absolutely nothing like a Fender. Darker Vox-meets-Marshall/Budda signature tone to me. So much character and kind of greasy! Not gonna give you the classic Nile Rogers-esque super clean skank/funk tone though...

The drive channel is the best I've ever heard for everything but sick metal, and, that said, inserting an EQ in the loop will pretty much get you there!

It is a bit more refined tone than the 30. Maybe like a great studio recording fo a great modded vintage amp. The Budda is really great and very hard to get a bad sound from.

PS: Buddas LOVE Teles!

12. Andre357

Andre357 Member

So much of what you say I agree with 100 % except for the skanky clean/funk part :)

Many of the tunes I do in the coverband I'm in, are funk dance tunes, and are in exactley that vein...it can do the " freak out " chic tone imho , no problem ( in fact we do a souped up version of that song :), among many other classic funk , dance tunes )......definately more voxy than fendery...but a very nice clean nontheless, and actually approximates that funky nile rodgers tone pretty well ( that i think he got by going direct to the recording desk via a tube pre-amp )....The Buddas seems a little more forward sounding than a fender for instance and sit in a band mix better IMHO...

And tele and strats do sound fantastic through buddas !

13. rollyfoster

thanks for all the input. definitely not chasing nile rogers. i like my funk with a little stink on it. looks like my rig's gonna be purple and green.

[​IMG]

14. Andre357

Andre357 Member

Told ya those colors matched :BEER

And you'll get a stink on your funk if you want.....

Throw a clean boost in the effects loop ( I use the serano picasso currently )..........and you'll be shocked at the loud , ballsy, funky/skanky clean tones available...

kick in the drive channel...and prepare for take off :cool: