Rocker books -my top picks

cragginshred

The past 5-7 years has seen many authorized and un authorized books come out about various artists and bands. I have read quite a few and have enjoyed some more than others.

1# 'Stairway to Heaven -Zeppelin uncensored by Richard Cole. Many books about the mighty Zep but this one is the best as is comes from the tour manager who was with them for over ten years. Cole is not afraid to give all the details much of which the band has denied nor would they include which makes it all the better read!

2# Sammy Hagar's 'Red' Loved Montrose growing up as well as all the his solo stuff and of course all the VH material. Sammy writes it and provides many details we all would have loved to experience.
Another really cool aspect is the excellent $ management and investment Sammy has done over the years. Eddie likely does not like this book. He seems to be doing much better these days.

I will just list a few of the others I read with minimal side notes as those were my top 2:

Ozzy's book (title)? A #3 for sure of all these listed. SUPER Funny with all kinds of insane stories and English humor. From the satan worshippers following Sabbath on tour (Ozzy would sit in their circle in the parking lot and sing happy birthday). To many drunken stories. Great read!!

Slash -good read, amazing he is still alive.
Motley Crue - 'The Dirt' good, but dark and astounding Nkki is still alive
Tony Iommi- Good but a little dry
Unauthorized Metallica pretty good, but really a collection of stories and interviews.
Ratt and roll -Stephen Peacy's book. Good but I wanted to hear a lot more about Warren.
Paul Stanley -Very good

**Van Halen rising- (unauthorized) really good mainly about the early days and the time it took for them to break as well as the partys they played and insight into the Sunset bar hierarchy.
Also the recording of VH I really cool to hear about the details of that iconic recording!!

I have read a few others but these stand out.

How about you all, any good ones to add?

Simon

Silver Supporting Member
Trouble Boy's, The Replacements, the most self destructive Brock Band ever! Great book.
Three Dog Nightmare, Chuck Negron, amazing book, but I think it's out of print.

27sauce

Walk This Way(aerosmith) is a good read.
I like the format, it's their history on quotes from the band and people that were there. You can read 4 or 5 different interpretations of the same events.
And it doesn't really sugar coat or romanticize anything. Tough to read at some points.

Dave2512

Walk This Way(aerosmith) is a good read.
I like the format, it their history on quotes from the band and people that were there. You can read 4 or 5 different interpretations of the same events.

Good book with brutal accounts of their behavior. Loved it but wow. Hey lady your string is hanging out!

27sauce

Good book with brutal accounts of their behavior. Loved it but wow. Hey lady your string is hanging out!

I don't think I realized how far and how quickly they dropped. I mean, Perry was homeless 4 years after selling out stadiums!

And Whitford slipping away to hang out with Bon Scott because the band's substance abuse was too crazy. That's crazy.

Tyler had a pretty crazy childhood. That dude was destined to be something.

1941WillysMB

Not a rocker, but George Jones has a few out. I think it was I lived to tell it all that I read recently, I've read a few. Talk about crazy stories, he had tons of number one hits, all over the charts but was flat broke doing shows for an eight ball of coke, if he showed up.

Gspspinone

Silver Supporting Member
1. Keith Richards --Life
2. Ace Frehley. --No Regrets
3. Johhny Winter--Raisin' Cain
4. Mike Bloomfield-- RFAGH by Ed Ward
5. Marks Ramon's--Punk Rock Blitzkrieg
6. Eric Clapton--Clapton
7. Iggy Pop--Open Up and Bleed
8. Johnny Cash--The Life
9. Waylon Jennings--Waylon:Tales of My Outlaw Dad
10. The Doors: No One Here Gets Out Alive

Btw...the Tony Iommi book was just horrible, total disappointment

mdrake34

Are you going to tell us why?

There's an old saying that's something along the lines of "don't get to know your heroes." Clapton is one of my heroes, and he's lead a remarkable life and had so much success in career, but he obviously had some personal short comings (as we all do). Those were tough to read about. Plus, towards the end of the book he was complaining about having to do world tours in the 2000's to pay for a yacht that he purchased on a whim. To quote Major Payne - "You want my sympathy? Look in the dictionary between **** and syphilis, that's were you'll find my sympathy."

Heritage 80

1# 'Stairway to Heaven -Zeppelin uncensored by Richard Cole. Many books about the mighty Zep but this one is the best as is comes from the tour manager who was with them for over ten years. Cole is not afraid to give all the details much of which the band has denied nor would they include which makes it all the better read!

Cole was a scumbag who I wouldn't trust with a rusty penny. Not that the band members were angels by any stretch, Cole was personally behind most of Led Zeppelin's most infamous on-the-road "shenanigans". "Hammer of the Gods" was another complete hack job bio of LZ. Complete sensationalized crap.

Misterbulbous

1. Keith Richards --Life
2. Ace Frehley. --No Regrets
3. Johhny Winter--Raisin' Cain
4. Mike Bloomfield-- RFAGH by Ed Ward
5. Marks Ramon's--Punk Rock Blitzkrieg
6. Eric Clapton--Clapton
7. Iggy Pop--Open Up and Bleed
8. Johnny Cash--The Life
9. Waylon Jennings--Waylon:Tales of My Outlaw Dad
10. The Doors: No One Here Gets Out Alive

Btw...the Tony Iommi book was just horrible, total disappointment
I tried several times, but could not get through Keith Richard's book. "Moon" is the same way. Just too long.

Simon

Silver Supporting Member
Me The Mob and The Music, One Hell Of A Ride With Tommy James and the Shondells.
People forget how huge Tommy was, and how many hits He wrote, but He got so taken advantage of by a particular Mobster.

Yer Blues

I read the Slash one. It was interesting. Not sure how many of the details he could really remember considering he was tanked 24-7.

T Dizz

Me The Mob and The Music, One Hell Of A Ride With Tommy James and the Shondells.
People forget how huge Tommy was, and how many hits He wrote, but He got so taken advantage of by a particular Mobster.
I was going to ask if anyone read this.. good to know!

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
Peter Hook's book about his Joy Division years, Unknown Pleasures, is great, as is his book on the Hacienda nightclub and that era of Madchester (How Not to Run a Nightclub).

Black Postcards by Dean Wareham of Galaxie 500 and Luna is a great book.

David J's memoir is a fun read. That and Levon Helm's book This Wheel's on Fire feel like listening to the authors regale you with their stories -- and they are great storytellers.

Bob Mould's autobiography, See a Little Light, is also really good.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom