Rocket Blue Note Tour Series.

vashondan

Silver Supporting Member
Has anyone tried one of these babies? Sound really sweet and bluesy. I ordered a Dude and was thinking about this one as well.

dagjonas

Had the original one, the big blue. It was great. Probably going the buy the Dude and the new Blue Note. Perfect size and sounds really good.

Last edited:

jsytsma

I may grab one. This pedal has been on my list, but honestly it was really clunky looking before. I still think J. Rockett could do a bit of a physical design overhaul as a bunch of them look really amateur, but whatever. If I'm going to pay ~$200 for a pedal, I want it to primarily sound good, but also look good. Sorry for those that will inevitably be offended by such an audacious claim.

ruger9

Silver Supporting Member
I still haven't heard yet if the Tour Series is wired with the Hot switch on or off? (since it has no switch)... I assume ON?

gavinashun

Silver Supporting Member
Hi all, I've been a huge Blue Note guy for a long time, and I do have the new Tour Series. Regarding points above:

1) It is wired with Hot switch OFF (as is mentioned in the product description page on the Rockett website). This is definitely the right call - the Blue Note has always been an average TS pedal w/ the Hot switch on ... but one of the absolute best low gainers with the Hot switch OFF.

2) I could absolutely care less about pedal aesthetics. But one thing I will say about the new enclosure that seems really dumb is that the knobs are positioned and designed such that there is a small overlap in their range - they actually bump each other in turning through certain positions. See picture and check out the gain and fat knobs. That seems very amature'ish.

3) Another annoying thing is that the knobs seem to be set such that the midpoint is NOT 12-o'clock. The far CW and far CCW positions are not symmetrical at the "base" of the knob, if that makes sense. Just by the full sweep of the knob, I would estimate the midpoint to be like 1 o'clock. This is very dumb.

4) I did a tone A/B with the original and I think they are exactly the same, though you have to set the knobs differently to get the identical tone for the reason mentioned about.

I have switched my board to the new one just cause I love the form factor and top mounting jacks. But that said I feel like they rushed it out and made some low-quality mistakes with it - though not deal breakers or anything.

ruger9

Silver Supporting Member
1) It is wired with Hot switch OFF (as is mentioned in the product description page on the Rockett website). This is definitely the right call - the Blue Note has always been an average TS pedal w/ the Hot switch on ... but one of the absolute best low gainers with the Hot switch OFF.
+1000 I rarely have the Hot switch on.

bluetweed

Quality is also lower with respect to graphics for Gain and Fat falling off the pedal/ very surprised they let that go thru

Garage Dog

I think the BN is a great pedal and I am in the camp of the hot sw always off.
I do believe they cut some corners on the tour series with a 10 dollar difference from the original they could at least added a dip sw inside for the hot sw.
I have always thought Rockett was a very reputable company but some of their antics do seem to be proving different.

Last edited:

petty1818

I have two of the original Blue Note pedals and actually like the standard setting and the hot switch mode. However, I do use the standard mode quite a bit more as I love the transparent tone. It's a great pedal tone wise. It seems to just sound "right" for my set up and it's not all that picky about amps.

Like Gavinashun, I too have some issues with my Blue Note (I realize they are two different versions). First, the jacks that J Rockett uses are terrible. Cables seem to actually be pushed out over time. Some cables are better than others but I have had the cable come right out during a set. It's as if there's pressure on the cable and it's squeezing it out.

The second issue is that the pedal is extremely microphonic. I own at least 10-15 other overdrives and the Blue Note is the only pedal that has this issue. The slightest touch of the enclosure, even with my foot (with a shoe or sock on), creates a buzz through the amp. The whole enclosure seems to be overly sensitive.

Lastly, for some strange reason, whenever I engage the pedal, there's a ground loop type buzz/hum that goes through my amp and this is with the volume on my guitar all the way off. I have found that if I crank the volume knob, the buzz goes away but obviously this is not ideal and it doesn't really make sense why that would fix it.

I sent the pedal away to get fixed and they could not find the microphonic issue or added buzz but they did fix the jacks. When I got it back, it was just as noisy as before and the jacks to me seem to be the same. I like the pedal enough that I ordered a second one to try. It also has the jack and microphonic issue but the engaged buzz is a little less. I am not trying to rip on J Rocket as I like the tone of their pedals, I just wish they would update their jacks and maybe fix the microphonic issues.

johnh

I have two of the original Blue Note pedals and actually like the standard setting and the hot switch mode. However, I do use the standard mode quite a bit more as I love the transparent tone. It's a great pedal tone wise. It seems to just sound "right" for my set up and it's not all that picky about amps.

Like Gavinashun, I too have some issues with my Blue Note (I realize they are two different versions). First, the jacks that J Rockett uses are terrible. Cables seem to actually be pushed out over time. Some cables are better than others but I have had the cable come right out during a set. It's as if there's pressure on the cable and it's squeezing it out.

The second issue is that the pedal is extremely microphonic. I own at least 10-15 other overdrives and the Blue Note is the only pedal that has this issue. The slightest touch of the enclosure, even with my foot (with a shoe or sock on), creates a buzz through the amp. The whole enclosure seems to be overly sensitive.

Lastly, for some strange reason, whenever I engage the pedal, there's a ground loop type buzz/hum that goes through my amp and this is with the volume on my guitar all the way off. I have found that if I crank the volume knob, the buzz goes away but obviously this is not ideal and it doesn't really make sense why that would fix it.

I sent the pedal away to get fixed and they could not find the microphonic issue or added buzz but they did fix the jacks. When I got it back, it was just as noisy as before and the jacks to me seem to be the same. I like the pedal enough that I ordered a second one to try. It also has the jack and microphonic issue but the engaged buzz is a little less. I am not trying to rip on J Rocket as I like the tone of their pedals, I just wish they would update their jacks and maybe fix the microphonic issues.
Total bummer to have gotten the pedal back with the same issues persisting. I'm far from an expert, but it sounds like a faulty earth somewhere in the pedal wiring to me.

Z Tone

I had the Blue Note once before and liked the tone. I do not remember why I sold it but I never used the hot setting. Only problem I ever had was one of the nuts on the input jack came off. Never had any problem with noise. I hope this tour series sounds as good as the original.

jamester

Gold Supporting Member
I love the sound of the BN, with or without the Hot switch.

But I don't like their jacks, the size/height of the pedal, and how the footswitch is so far back I often kick the knobs accidentally. Aside from the new knobs, I think the Tour series looks to be an improvement. If I was putting two small drives together for rhythm and lead, the Tour BN would definitely be a strong contender for the rhythm side.

monkmiles

Silver Supporting Member
Given that the tour series blue note is in low gain mode, how would it do as an always on mostly clean boost?

Trending Topics