RocketFire Strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bleomonkey, Jun 1, 2008.

1. bleomonkey

bleomonkey Member

I was going to get an american vintage 62 reissue strat because I'm in search of John Mayer's tone (or similar). In another thread, somebody mentioned a Rocketfire strat because they doe underwound pickups and their strats are supposed to be good. However, there is no way for me to test one, there are only a few soundclips on the internet, and there aren't many reviews. Can anybody tell me whether a RocketFire strat will be better than a fender 62 reissue for John Mayer and some SRV tone?

2. bleomonkey

bleomonkey Member

How much would a RocketFire strat (not reliced) cost?

3. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

4. ukslinger

ukslinger Member

I've got one of Nick's SRV's and even an amp he built. The guitar looks and most importantly sounds an plays awesome. By far the best strat I've played or heard. I'm a Les Paul guy and I still consider it my best guitar. He will make the guitar any way you want, any degree of relicing or none at all. Answers emails very fast, too. Don't see how you would be disappointed. A Fender with the same specs would cost over $3000.

5. bleomonkey

bleomonkey Member

Thanks for the replies. The only concern I have is that I don't know what they sound like and I can test one, so I'm kind of thinking that a 62 fender would be better, though I'm certain Rocketfires are better.

6. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

I don't know doodly-squat about Rocketfire, but small builders can offer more consistent quality than the big guys. If you buy an off the shelf Fender and get a chance to play a lot of Strats in your price range, then you're likely to find one that you really love. You won't get the color you want and maybe even the pickups would need an "upgrade." But it would feel good and you would know you got the best one for you. With small builders, the conversation over specs can get you the color you want, the electronics you want, the fretboard radius you want, the neck size and shape you want, etc. But you may not get to play it until you pay for it... There's the deal.

7. goodasaf

goodasaf Member

where are you in the states?
    i'm getting my rocketfire soon so you can drop by and test it.
    i'm in NYC.
    talk to nick - he's big into vintage sound so you can't really go wrong with his guitars, especially for the SRV tones you're looki'n for.
    you won't get any fender RI near that quality for the price.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  8. Nick Sorenson

Nick Sorenson Rocketfire Guitars

Speaking of... I finished yours at around 12 last night. Long day!! Amps, pickups, and guitars for one guy equals long hours. But yours is just about ready for you to play it!

9. brentrocks

brentrocks Guitar Hack/Player Gold Supporting Member

NOW THATS SERVICE W/ A SMILE...:dude:dude:dude

10. goodasaf

goodasaf Member

TNX NICK!
    can't wait already to come back home and get it...

11. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

I totally want an SRV! I've always wanted a relic like that. Looks like a decent price too!

12. Amplite

Amplite Member

Hey Nick! That means you're one guitar closer to my double bound sunburst tele!!:dude
    I spoke to Nick on the phone and ordered a guitar about a month ago and he was a pleasure to speak to. I've got a good feeling about this!!:stir

13. littlepicker

littlepicker Member

I got an SRV from Nick several months ago. And it is the Bomb!!
    If there's a particular guitar you want to hear Nick could probably record it,
    and email it to you...

14. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

Although I haven't played one of Nick's guitars, I do know that he puts a LOT of work and care into them - and it shows.

Plus you KNOW it's gonna sound great because those Rocketfire pickups kick ass !! :dude

15. codyj84

codyj84 Member

Heres my Rocketfire!!!.....well......ONE of my Rocketfires.....

http://thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?p=3587796

It NAILS the Mayer tones, as well as the SRV tones. Nicks pickups AND guitars are the stuff!!! Check out the detail...even down to the greening of the knobs! Try and find ANY Fender CS with THAT detail!

The pickups are fantastic and are a tone that can only be achieved in handwinding like they did it back in the day.....

talk to nick. Hes one of the best guys i have the privelage of knowing and is a great builder/winder. you cant go wrong!

16. bleomonkey

bleomonkey Member

17. goodasaf

goodasaf Member