Rockett Animal vs BB Preamp MB

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by strattitude, Feb 12, 2012.

1. strattitude

strattitude Member

I have the Rockett Blue Note and really love it for lower gain tones. It seems a bit more open and natural than my BB Preamp MB which I use for a mid gain tone.

So will the Animal give what I like so much in the Blue Note, but in a higher gain version?

I think I read somewhere that someone found the Animal a bit too smooth and fusiony, and that is how I look at the BB Preamp MP, and its is great for that tone too, but I'm wondering if the Animal is more open? I am also considering the Rockett Flex Drive, but I'm not sure how it differs from the Animal.

I play them mostly into a clean amp (Kingsley Bailey) with single coils.

2. Painasusual

Painasusual Member

Isn't the Animal a marshall in a box type of pedal? Or do I remember it wrong?

3. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

I have a Blue Note (keeper for what it does) and, recently had a FlexDrive. I think the FlexDrive is very versatile pedal with higher gain levels than the Blue Note can provide. Nice pedal overall, I just have alot of overdrive pedals in that ballpark so, I traded it.

How about a Bearfoot DynaRed?

The Menatone Blue Collar has more gain than the Blue Note also.

4. strattitude

strattitude Member

Yes the Animal is supposed to be a Plexi type pedal.

I like the fact that the Flex Drive is supposed to be so versatile.

Any more?

5. sick1982

sick1982 Member

I think the Animal is very open and has a very good EQ range.

6. soopajeanmi

soopajeanmi Member

Had both the Animal and the BB MB. Kept the animal. I think it's more open and much more versatile than the BB. It's really like having a higher gain, more aggressive Blue Note.

I have a bunch a ODs and I keep coming back to the Blue Note and the Animal again and again.

7. strattitude

strattitude Member

Thanks!

That sounds cool! I really dig the Blue Note so that maybe what I'm after.

Anyone compare the Animal to the Flex Drive? Which is more open, and which seems more transperant? I really like the Josh Smith demo of the Flex Drive, but he makes anything sound great.

8. strattitude

strattitude Member

I got a Rockett Animal now. The BB sounds just sound small and like a pedal compared to the Animal which is fuller and more open. The Animal is quite noisy with gain above 12 o'clock though.