Rockett Archer: NPD and questions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by wilddogmoon, Apr 20, 2015.

1. wilddogmoon

wilddogmoon Supporting Member

Just got an Archer today and after 2 hours of playing and adjusting I realize that it sounds really good boosting a clean amp ( level just above unity and gain at 9:00), but not good as overdrive in my rig. When I turn up the gain to 12:00 or so it sounds like a blanket is over the amp.

As cleanish boost it adds a nice liveliness and some high end that totally goes into a swampy mess with more gain dialed in.

Is this normal?

Also, would it be better to run the Archer before or after a fuzz pedal?
    I will experiment, but I don't have the fuzz yet (Scarab Deluxe en route). Any first hand experience of what to expect would be good.

Guitar is a Tele with singles (62RI bridge pickup) into an Ampeg GVT15 tube combo.

2. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

The Archer is one of the darker voiced klones I've tried. Don't be afraid to use the treble knob.

I prefer after a fuzz -tightens up and smoothes out the sound.

3. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

its a KTR klone - generally thought of as sounding best going into an amp that is just breaking up

4. ryandfl

ryandfl Supporting Member

I got one q few weeks ago. How I'm using it after some messing around is either gain almost to zero, volume about unity and a small treble boost.

It is a subtle effect like that, but gives a different character to the sound.

It kind of makes my brownface fender sound like a blackface.

5. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

You can get that same effect sound with a less expensive boost with EQ. Kind waisting what the Archer has to offer but, it's your pedal.

6. wilddogmoon

wilddogmoon Supporting Member

That's what I'm afraid I'll think after a while too, but need to spend some quality time with it. Compared to a couple of clean boosts I've used, it does give a different, really juicy kind of sound rather than just a "transparent" boost.

7. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

The Soul Food gives that clean boost tone for only about $60. But not the same overdrive.

8. ryandfl

ryandfl Supporting Member

Maybe I'll try upping the gain again.

But I don't feel like I am wasting it on really low gain. It sounds great. It is like a 2nd clean channel, slightly dirtier, on my amp. Adding more drive with other pedals retains its character.