Rockett Blue Note Overdrive?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by iim7v7im7, Dec 27, 2009.

1. iim7v7im7

iim7v7im7 Member

Those of you who have tried this pedal, can you descibe how is sounds and what other pedal you would compare it to?

I already own a a variety of ODs: Tubescreamer (mid-hump), HBOD (pick dynamic with coloration), KOT (warmth with subtle compression) and a Tim (transparent).

Does this pedal offer something different or is it similar?

Thanks,

Bob

2. iim7v7im7

iim7v7im7 Member

I guess not too many out there...3 hours, 15 looks and no replies.

3. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

I had both the original higher gain version and the current production lower gain version. I didn't care that much for the higher gain version as it was a bit thin with the gain turned down. The lower gain version was nice and fat and amp-like without a lot of compression. I didn't keep it long enough to really try it out but I would describe it as more on the transparent side with tube-like overdrive. I don't think it will necessarily cover any ground that you don't already have covered but I think it is a very nice well made pedal and I could certainly be happy with it on my board.

4. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

Picked one of these up today. Looked for awhile and pulled the trigger. I spoke with a co designer of the pedal and he helped me make my decision. I would put it somewhere in between a Klon, Silver Kiss and Tube Screamer. Very transparent and creamy. You can get some trebly Zep like tones out of her as well. Just spent a couple of hours with her and much more to learn. Loves my strat but gets along great with my LP as well. Great pedal and I think the next one will be the Chicken Soup or Flex Drive.

5. Bluewail

Bluewail Tone curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Picked up one as well and I'm just starting to play with but so far I'm very impressed. For lower gain bluesy OD's my reference has been the Timmy followed by the Barber Silver Ltd. I've tried a bunch of others but, as most folks know, the Timmy' hard to beat. The Blue Note is right up there with it. Better? No, but it's a bit different.
    My initial impressions are it's even more transparent than the Timmy. The Blue Note has 2 modes, normal and Hot with more gain. In the lower gain regions of the normal setting it is more of a boost peal although you need to turn up the volume quite a bit to get it cookin'. Clean boost is not it's strong suit IMHO. Get the gain knob up to about 2 o'clock and beyond and that's when the magic happens. The OD is very amp-like and organic, juicy if you will, adding saturation but not a lot of edginess or grit. The Timmy does have more of an edge when you start to turn up the gain, not that it sounds bad, on the contrary it sounds terrific, but the Blue Note is less colored. In the Hot setting, the Blue Note can cover more territory than the Timmy and still never sound muddy at all, a pretty unique feature in my experience. The cool thing about the Blue Note is no matter where you have the gain set, normal or Hot and even up to it's max setting, it never loses that note definition and ability to still sound like your guitar. The Hot setting is not quite as uncolored as the normal, adding a bit more mids but nothing drastic at all. You'd have to A/B them closely to actually hear it. The Fat control is great too. It adds a bit more thickness without any mud and does the trick with single coils. I'm looking forward to getting it out live and hear it in a band mix.

6. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I can't believe how close this pedal sounds to my Clay Jones CJOD. :aok

7. if6were9

if6were9 Member

The Blue Note is my favorite OD (and I've owned A LOT). I've sold my Honey Bee, Timmy, King of Tone, tube screamers, Zen Drive, Small Fry, etc. because I no longer have any use for them. The Blue Note kills them all. It is just more "natural and musical" sounding than the others. A really great pedal!

8. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, I think the Blue Note really does well for those classic blues tones and, depending on your rig, will even cross the border onto classic rock.

I've also found that it stacks well with other overdrives. I used mine side-by-side-by-side with HW Blue Collar and a Lovepedal Eternity.

I've had mine probably close to 2 years.

9. Island3r

Island3r Member

One of my favorite low gain drives. It's comparable to the Mad Prof Sweet Honey OD, when it's in the low gain mode.

10. soopajeanmi

soopajeanmi Member

I own a Timmy and a few classic OD (TS like and others too). The Blue Note is really one of the best OD: transparency on par with the Timmy, and simpler to dial in than a Timmy. It's *great*.

11. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

I agree with what's been said here and I think you are getting some very good opinions. Mine? It's better than the Timmy IMHO, for my use. I use it very low gain and it does that well. It also does some great OD in the upper gain settings too. Fantastic pedal, one of my favorites.

12. kinkynoah

kinkynoah Member

I'm eying a 2nd-hand Blue Note at the moment as a replacement for my Plimsoul, which doesn't seem to get along with my new LP with P-90s. From YouTube videos it seems to have a natural sounding, earthy grit to it, great for some vintage blues sounds. Plus, it seems you can dial the mids in or out as needed. The Plimsoul is too mid-humpy.

I already have a Timmy though, so I fear it may be redundant. The Timmy is for rhythm stuff, the Blue Note I'm hoping will give me a bit more warm sustain for leads. Anyone with both care to comment?

13. wahahaka

wahahaka Member

I have not tried the BN nor the Timmy but I have always heard good things about the BN. Many people also compare this to the Timmy (or even replaced the Timmy with it). Considering how popular the Timmy is here, that should tell you something about the BN.

I'm about to pull the trigger to the BN, and pushing it with Koko boost if I happen to want more gain. Based on the online demos, the gain level should be more than enough for blues style.

14. zetamkiii

zetamkiii Member

My favorite sounding non-premium/boutique drive. Had it looked cooler, been more expensive and gotten discontinued, it would have kept it's place on my board. For the utilitarian musician it is a solid choice.

nest likes this.
  15. Faffy

Faffy Member

So good I built a clone, having two of them:)

16. Desperado

Desperado Vertex Effects, Inc.

Great pedal that works equally well with most instrument and amp combinations.

17. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Wow ... have never read anything bad about CJOD ever.
    So that comparison is big kudos for the BN

Will tell you this ... the BN cuts through a mix beautifully. Doubt if you'll need to kick in any kind of boost (unless you leave one on all the time of course)

18. kinkynoah

kinkynoah Member

I just pulled the trigger on a Blue Note last week. This week I put the following on eBay:

Timmy - BN does the transparent light OD thing just as well.
    Plimsoul - too mid-humpy. Didn't get along with my P90s. With the BN you can dial the mids in or out.
    EP Booster - the BN's 'hot' switch does the same job of lead boost and tone thickener.

So I'm glad to free up all that space on my PT-Nano. The Blue Note is everything I want in a light-medium gain OD. I just wish the 'hot' switch was a footswitch so I don't have to keep bending over.

I'm thinking of going for the Animal now for more gain. Also, so I can have a set-and-forget rhythm and lead pedal combo, without having to tweak. Does anyone have both? Are they a bit interchangeable, tonally? Am I better off with the Flex Drive for more variety?

19. JackStraw12

JackStraw12 Supporting Member

I also wish the BN had a foot switchable hot switch, it's a fantastic sounding OD. I like it better than my Timmy for rhythm, clear sounding and cuts live very well for that. Single notes just has a lot of definition at all gain levels. i keep the volume below noon w/ gain up on the hot switch and its a dumbley tone with some more tubescreamery elements that i really enjoy. Just picked up a LP zen and it's a nice pedal too, and I will need to AB it more with the BN. AM od9 and the blue note with a Ross comp is my live OD section. With any OD though I have to adjust for the room, volume etc. Sorry if this rambled on the iPhone.

20. Medgeking

Medgeking Member

Definitely one of the best overdrive pedals I've been through. It's very flexible from boost to light od to pretty serious mid-gain. I don't know that I'd compare it directly to another pedal as being similar.

The voicing is clear and can cut with nicely defined harmonic break-up. It's definitely not compressed sounding and it's not overly bassy the way that some other ODs are. It also doesn't have a massive mids hump, though the mids are very present.

At the end of the day, all I can say is that it's a truly incredible OD pedal.