Rockett Boost Pedal - On the List

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Smokehouse, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Smokehouse

Smokehouse Member

After hearing about this Boost on another thread I contacted Jay Rockett and had an email discussion about the Rockett Boost. I was so impressed with the product concept and Jay's enthusiasm I had to get on the list for one. I am told that the top is Copper plated with the bottom in Black Powdercoat so thats going to look cool as hell.

Here is an excerpt of some of the info Jay sent me......

"It combines things that have not yet been used in the guitar world. This circuit incorporates multiple acoustic JFET preamps used in multiple ways and various cascading layers to create everything from a very transparent clean boost all the way to a sledge hammer hitting the front end of the amp. All of this while producing clarity and your choice of 36 different tonal configurations. With the help of some engineering Guru’s we were able to produce innards, design, and layout that rival that of the highest grade hi fi world of components.
    I like to think of it as a shaper of tone. It can thicken your tone, thin your tone, give it more clarity, boost your tone, make things fatter, and it is so transparent you can actually set it to a perfection point if you will, where you CANNOT tell it's on! Then take it from that point and adjust to your liking. If you get bored, flip a switch and your in a new tone land with variable gain stages. This pedal is really designed to be the first pedal in the chain. I used to cascade many pedals into each other to get my tone. Sometimes I still do, but I use this pedal in front of anything and everything and I'm not kidding when I say it makes EVERY pedal in the chain sound better.
    Treble Boost: Can function as treble booster pedal. It's absolute magic at producing clarity and presence to solos with guitars that have a ton of bottom, or when using amps that get bloated sounding when slammed hard.
    Our clean boost is simply that a "clean boost" so that you can take the sound you have and boost it without affecting the overall tone, however, once again you have choices of various gain stages to play with.
    The Fat Boost is a MILD over drive that pushes your amp with whatever tone you want. You will not hear compression or loss of treble, you just hear more balls!!
    Our line buffer is a great feature but some do not require it or need it that is why we made ours selectable. We do realize that as the pedal addiction takes hold that down the line those who do not require a line buffer will soon find out that with 35 pedals in a row….they need it!!
    The Dark/Bright Switch gives you variety to add to any of your chosen tones. It will sparkle things up a or take a the edge off and at the same time fatten it up a bit…very subtle either way.
    Now with all of the main functions in place what we have is the ability to tailor these functions to our tastes.

1. Lean/Idle/Rich - 3 way switch (Toggle Switch at left)
    2. Black Hole/Super Nova (Toggle Switch in the middle)
    3. Gravity/Weightless (Toggle Switch at right)
    4. Buffer on/off switch (Toggle Top Middle)
    5. Volume or Level Knob
    6. Tone

I offer some upgrades within the pedal wiring with some killer cryo wire by Jena Labs and Quad eutectic solders. Really makes a difference but the stuff is STUPID expensive. But then again it's out tone right!"

I normally don't jump in this quick on a new product but couldnt resist. Expect a full review when I get this in my hands.

Here is a link to their site though it's not totally up yet http://www.rockettpedals.com/

Smoke'

2. rewog

rewog Member

Apparently based on the Stephenson "Fix my Duck"... if you read the description here:-
    http://www.stephensonamps.com/fixmyduck.htm
    you'll see the similarities.

I have to say I was pretty unimpressed with the way this pedal was originally introduced here on TGP (in the other thread).
    I hope Jay has better scruples than his partner seems to have.

3. Smokehouse

Smokehouse Member

From my contact with Jay he is a straight shooter, and was not happy with what happened on the Klon thread either. I was so impressed with Jay and the pedal concept despite the initial faux pas from cvt that I jumped on the list.

Smoke'

4. rewog

rewog Member

Cool, I hope it's a killer... look forward to your review.

BTW - Eutectic solder would be lucky to add a couple of cents to the cost of a pedal. Like the silver solder controversy, I really doubt it makes any difference.
    Not sure about the Cryo wire, but I'm pretty skeptical considering the very short lengths used in a pedal.

:YinYang

5. Rockett

Rockett Member

So was I Rewog, so was I. I was so skeptical that I talked Jena Labs into proving it to me. So sure enough, she sent me solder and wire and guess what??? I was freakin shocked! Not kidding. I couldn't believe the difference. I wouldn't have bought the cryo wire and eutectic solders theory. But holy crap I compared 2 IDENTICAL circuits and thought I was loosing my mind. The circuit was wicked from the get go, then I compared to my cryo pedal and was floored. Everything was bigger sounding, more volume, more detail, more warmth, more detailed bottom. I was soo excited I contacted the labs and ordered everything immediately. It took absolute convincing for me about the wire. I can assure you with ALL MY BEING it makes a difference that you would notice without question. She ( Jena Labs) then taught me another secret, BREAK IN! Yep that's right break in just like an amp. Most people don't think you can break in a small circuit. This was a mind blowing discovery for me. So I took a freshly built pedal and slammed it with input signal and power for 45 hours straight (ipod retrofitted with 1/4" jack medium volume). I compared this break in experiment pedal (IDENTICAL circuit) to a freshly built circuit and pooped myself! She was right! Although I don't know if you have ever read anything about her and her husband at Jena Labs, pretty incredible and impressive people. The break in pedal was much warmer and wider sounding. Keep in mind they were IDENTICAL! Speaking of costs, eutectic's are double in price, wire is WAY more expensive and 3 times harder to work with. But holy cats!
    Despite your speculation that this circuit is the FMD, I can assure it is not. It's funny just because I worked with Stephenson (whom is a genius btw) does not make this pedal the same. You can compare them side by side and I guarantee you will see and hear total and complete noticeable differences. Although I must say the FMD is absolutely no slouch. And it's a bargain indeed. And Mark is fantastic!! He's a great friend of mine we talk regularly.
    Yea my partner made a mistake, he came clean to me and tried to come clean on the gear page. How many other manufacturers would do that? I guarantee they are on here plugging their products and slamming their competition. This is my second post anywhere on this site. [FONT=&quot]Just because my partner made a mistake doesn’t make it a bad business or bad pedal or bad anything other than just that – a bad mistake.
    Hey I love talking tone so feel free to email me if you have questions about this little beast. I'm truly in love with this pedal. Sure I am right, but you'll see!
    I am working frantically on my website and videos etc. so you can all check it out. Keep checking!!!
    Take care my friends, much love
    J. Rockett
    [/FONT]

6. rewog

rewog Member

Hi Jay

Good to see you here.... having a presence here, and being straight up about your product is the best thing you can do.

Interesting about breaking in the pedal.
    I have to say I'm still skeptical about the wire.
    Wire is passive and can't add anything in itself, so for a wire change to make a noticeable difference, the standard wire would have to be degrading the tone. Now within reason you can use pretty much any gauge or quality of wire in a pedal without effect because the signal is small and the path short. I think you could use solid gold monster cables and it wouldn't make a difference, but that's just my opinion.
    As far as the Eutectic solder goes. I build quite a few pedals myself, just as a hobbyist, and I use the Eutectic solder because it melts at a lower temp and wicks much better. I actually find it much easier to use than standard solder, but I couldn't say I notice a difference in the sound of the pedal.

Now, the pedals.
    The Fix my Duck has been on the market for some time.
    It's described by Mark as "a JFET circuit cascading several acoustic pre amp circuits together".
    You described the Rockett as "incorporates multiple acoustic JFET preamps used in multiple ways and various cascading layers".
    Both pedals offer Treble boost, Clean boost and Full boost.
    Both pedals can function as a Buffer.
    Mark Stephenson was involved in developing the pedal.
    I think it would be fair to suggest it comes from the basic design of the FMD wouldn't it ?

Anyway, good luck with the pedal and your company.
    Let's hear some clips.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  7. Rockett

Rockett Member

Hi Rewog,

I understand your skeptical about the wire and and I can't change your mind on that one. I will say this though. A guitar cable is a passive component as well and there are SUBSTANTIAL differences in tone with different types of cables. Now in saying that, when you ad up every inch of wire in an intricate circuit like my boost, it really ads up! In fact somewhere in the neighborhood of 3.5 feet!! Now get 5 different guitar cables and try them all out. They all sound different to me even the short ones. Maybe not to everyone, but I can hear differences with different types of cables. Then factor in almost 4 feet of wire in the pedal and amplify by 1000! Now you have a difference! Even the way a cap is oriented in a circuit can make differences. Maybe I'm a lunatic but I can hear differences.

The FMD was a starting point of this circuit. Yes the FMD can function as a buffer, HOWEVER it ties that pedal up as a BUFFER only. My pedal has a completely different circuit in it to accomplish the line driver. You would have to own "2" FMD's to do what mine can do or at least a totally separate line driver, because one of them will have to be tied up as the line driver ONLY and the other as the actual boost and voicing. Now let's look at the circuit. I use different components, different wire, different layout, different board, an additional stage, different voicing options and boost levels. A completely different enclosure, a bypass able line driver, a plexi tweed switch and a different tone control. In my opinion, that's an entirely different animal!

Pedal break in:
    email me and I will get you more info on break in. Cool stuff!

J.Rockett

8. TommyStrat

TommyStrat Member

I saw Jay Rockett a while back live and his tone was amazing. I hope I can get one of these pedals some day. I know the demand will be high but tone is everything for me. I should have stayed and tryed to speak to him. I am using a blues devil now and love it but my seperation of strings is nothing like his. He is one fine player and a tone God.

Tommy

9. Smokehouse

Smokehouse Member

Jay is making mine right now,,,,, I am stoked with anticipation,

Will report as soon as I get this !!!

10. Smokehouse

Smokehouse Member

11. Cvt

Cvt Member

Hey Jeff and Tommy....I believe your new boosts are on the way. I have had about 2 weeks with the newest and perminent RB....along with the new Afterburner. I do believe you boys will be happy campers. I was able to A/B the new upgraded RB with the proto and the standard. What a difference.....I actually will have to re-narrate the soundclips as mine were based on a different switch configurations so it will be confusing as is. After the Holidays we will be working hard on sound clips and videos. The after burner is finished in design but now we have to get in in the cue for production....very amplike and sticky!!

Let us know your thoughts when you get the little monster in the mail!!
    Thanks guys
    Cvt

12. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

"Break in" in pedals is not a new term or idea. Sean has been speaking that for years now.