Rockett Boost....sending my tone into orbit????

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rgsss14, Jan 11, 2008.

1. rgsss14

rgsss14 Gold Supporting Member

Sorry for the cheesy title.
    I don't post many reviews on gear, in that I feel that all of our tastes vary.... but I just had to share the joy....regarding this pedal.....hesitating to say that this is the most amazing "canvas" on which to sculpt tone?

The set up was simple - a modified Nash strat into the Rockett boost
    into a Gjika KT77.

I wanted to start with a "thin" sound, so I had the switches left to
    right on Bright/Cut/Treble, with the buffer off, obviously. The
    signal was boosted with added chime, sparkle, and sustain. I played
    around with the various combos, slowly adding in punch, bass, and
    finally the boost. What an amazing array of tones!!! A few of you out there know that I'm a gear junkie and I might fall in love with gear easily, but I am truly amazed at the versatility of this "boost" pedal - I
    couldn't stop tweaking and playing for an hour and a half and got into
    a shitload of trouble with the wife. I love the fact that the pedal
    makes a pure, clean(ish) tone more "hi-fi" - adding sustain, sparkle,
    and those audible harmonic overtones that one never ceases to be
    shocked by the fact that this is a CLEAN sound/tone. Putting the right switch in the clean mode decreases some of the sparkle and signal, but playing around with the punch and boost and increasing the LEVEL on this
    setting really creates some magic with respect to more "earthy" tones,
    still with that sustain, and grit.... and all of this just touching
    the surface of what this pedal can do.
    These guys have created "compression", without COMPRESSION, if that makes any sense at all.... an increase in signal, chime, sustain, overtones....without squashing the sound and tone. Nothing else exists out there like this thing.... I've got to unplug now....more discovery later!!!

A home run, out of the park...for the Rockett team, and congrats for that!!!! I am a happy albeit an "in the doghouse" guy! I can't imagine how this will
    sound with the Afterburner overdrive... Ridiculous stuff.....

FYI, I read some of the other posts regarding this company/pedal. The bottom line is this... who cares what people say/type/advertise/claim, etc....whether it be in a verbose, magnanimous fashion, or in a mysterious, cryptic fashion (we've seen both ends of the spectrum)....

The bottom line is whether something speaks to you tonally, and uniquely.... out of the plethora of pedals I've tried and own, this one (in the boost/overdrive realm) - - - is the one that has spoken to me with the most clarity. A stellar pedal....

but hey, what do I know???

all the best, folks,

2. Smokehouse

Smokehouse Member

Another satisfied Rockett Boost owner :BEER

Welcome to the club ! I just love this pedal, everything you said about it is true.

Cheers

Smoke'

3. rgsss14

Thanks! I'm in the stage of experimenting with it in front of various OD's....

4. Lintybits

Lintybits Member

The pedal is real? huh, whole time I thought it was a joke.

Glad it's working out for you. Are there any clips around?

5. rgsss14

There are clips on the website...... they are good clips, but as with anything, don't even compare with hearing the pedal in person.

6. TommyStrat

TommyStrat Member

Mine sounds great through all my vintage amps. Clips do not compare to what it does live. However when I get some time to record I will add some clips in the next 30 days. These pedals are pretty hard to get and probably way over built but for guys that step on their stuff like me it is real nice.

7. rgsss14

Thus far I've tried it in front of the Gainmaster, Stage Hog, Fetto, and Rodenberg OD's. The warmer and woolier OD's really shine with the RB.
    Still, it's simply amazing what this pedal can do with just a straight clean amp sound....you just can't stop playing.

8. rreiser

rreiser Supporting Member

I am interested in the buffer aspect of this pedal. Have any owners used the buffer ? I would keep the buffer on all the time and then use the footswitch for a solo boost. Thanks

9. Smokehouse

Smokehouse Member

I have not really used the Buffer but from what I understand it is to be used exactly as you described. I would get ahold of Jay!

Raj
    Did you place the OD's before or after the Boost? I have been told they have had excellent results before the RB although the clips say the RB goes first in the chain.

Smoke'

10. rreiser

rreiser Supporting Member

Any other opinions on the buffer aspect of this pedal ? Thanks

11. rgsss14

When I placed the pedal in front of my effects chain, I did notice a hotter, more clear signal with the buffer on. If you only use this pedal alone, there is obviously no change in tone with the buffer on or off. I hope that helps.

12. rgsss14

FYI, the video clips that are now up on the site, www.rockettpedals.com

are quite representative of the tone/sparkle quality of the pedal.

Really amazing stuff..........

13. zetamkiii

zetamkiii Member

Sorry for bumping this old thread. Is there still an interest in this pedal? I know with the release of the new line of rockett boosts/Od's the Afterburner is still in demand but I've never seen a masterbuilt boost for sale anywhere. I have a couple masterbuilt boosts sitting in storage, but haven't had the time to purchase and compare them to the new ones. I find the design remains elegant and the craftsmanship is still superb, though I utilized mine mainly as a vocal control. Can anyone still using this gear give their opinion? Do the classic designs still it hold up against their modern counterparts?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  14. billyg121

billyg121 Supporting Member

Pardon my ignorance ..but this is different than the Rockett Lemon Aid?

15. zetamkiii

zetamkiii Member

[​IMG]

Extremely limited production, rare parts, handmade etc... Retailed for $549...

16. billyg121

billyg121 Supporting Member

Wow! Didn't know about that! Oh well, out of my budget anyway.