Rockett Boost - Super Honymoon Review

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Smokehouse, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Smokehouse

Smokehouse Supporting Member

Yes this is about as much of a Honeymoon review as you could possibly get having just received the Rockett Boost about an hour ago. But my jaw is still on the floor and I had to tell someone about this pedal. The pedal when you pull it out of the box will just floor you with it's polished Copper cover, absolutely gorgeous ! Plug it in and you will be totally amazed that a Boost pedal can sound this good. I immediately plugged my Anderson Classic into a Germino Classic 45 & 2X12 Cab with G12H & M's. In about 1 minute after trying a variety of the switch settings I literally could not believe what I was hearing. This pedal has the most amazing note definition, not in a brittle sense but in the most full & musical way. Every nuance of the note is clearly defined. I found myself bending notes and the richness of the notes were amazing. Now the Classic 45 is known for great cleans but when I disconnected the pedal and plugged straight into the amp to be sure of what I was hearing and it was then like a blanket was thrown over the cab. I plugged the boost back in and wow, I will never play again without it. The switch configurations allow you about 21 different tone configurations of which i have just scratched the surface, all of the ones i have tried so far are independantly unique so as far as versatility this pedal is hard to beat. I currently play a Barber LTD & an Analogman's modded TS-9, and have played a friends Klon, and although my clean boost experience is fairly limited to those pedals I am compelled to say this pedal is in a league by itself. I took a risk jumping onboard and buying this pedal as it is not a cheap one but every blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while and I am amazed how good this sounds.

After I have played this boost for a week or so I will try to be more analytical as I am sure this sounds a bit over the top but this Boost is amazing.

Also has a switchable Line Buffer !

Jay & Chris were super great to deal with and are monster players in their own right. I highly recommend them as their customer relationship committment is unique as their Rockett Boost. I am sure as more people pick up this Boost pedal you will be hearing more great things about it.

http://www.rockettpedals.com/index.html Check them out. And as always the clips don't do the pedal justice.

Got to go back to playing......

Smoke'

2. TommyStrat

TommyStrat Member

hey bud. I got my pedal about a week ago and tried to live without it but I can not. I have several very important amps through history and the pedal makes all amps and effects sound better and more musical. I wanted to wait a few days to get through the shock of the first impression and now that I have over 50 hours of testing with a number of guitars and amps both old and new and several pedals I must say this is a masterpiece of tone shaping equipment. I am real excited to play this weekend and have an old Supro that is being delivered today and think this should be a killer addition to my old amps. The wait was long but my quest for tone is never ending anyway so what a nice addition. No mater what pedals or amps you own, they will sound great. Give the guys over there a call. I was lucky to run into Mr. Rocketts band a while back and hear the rig for myself. I was stunned. The wait was worth it. Many blessings to all you guys and thanks for the warm welcome the last month or so to the gear page. I have learned a lot from all of you guys.

Tommy

3. erksin

erksin Member

I'm not hearing $349 worth of mojo - if anything, those clips just make me gas for a Swart!

4. Smokehouse

Erskin

I am in total agreement with you concerning the clip. I got on the list prior to hearing the clip, and by just discussing the Boost with Jay and Chris decided to jump on board. The clip in no way comes close to what this pedal does for your tone. I am told that Jay & Chris are trying to get videos out real soon, hopefully they will better be able to translate what this Boost is capable of. After hearing this Boost with my rig I am a complete convert. This is a unique pedal and more than worth the price of admission. I am going to jump out on a limb and say once you have heard and played with this Boost you would agree this Boost is in a league by itself! It's that good. I am going to get on the list for their Afterburner O.D.

This Boost is my Holy Grail ! BTW I went for all the upgrades on this Boost....The Full Monty !

Smoke'

5. erksin

erksin Member

But comparing it to other clips of clean boosts (SHO, SCP, Klon, etc), I'm not really hearing anything different or revolutionary.

What other boosts have you compared it to and how is it different from them?

6. Smokehouse

The other Boosts that I have experience with as stated in my first post are the Barber LTD (Black), an Analogman Modded TS-9, and on a limited amount a Klon. Neither of these pedals have the rich note definition that the Rockett Boost has. The Rockett Boost has such a musical purity to it. All strings have a distinct quality about them and do not get squashd out, each is distinct within the chord. The other Boosts in my experience did not come close to these qualities. The Rockett Boost Will make your amp sound better for a lack of a better description, it did for my Germino. I can't say that for the other Boosts I have tried. Granted I have just had this Boost for less than 24 hrs and to really try this Boost out I need more time with it, but NO other Boost/ or any other pedal I have bought has had such a profound initial impact on me as this one has. I, like you would have been skepticle prior to actually trying the pedal. But since I have this is what I am experiencing and passing on to others who may want to try something really unique.

Take Care

Smoke'

7. le_plastique

le_plastique Member

I think it'd be very informative to find out what all the knobs and other do-hickeys do. I think it'd help everyone find out a little bit about what this pedal is about.

8. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Ah but that would be an insult to our intelligence.

9. le_plastique

le_plastique Member

I do say, I suppose it would. Here! Here!

10. El Jefe

El Jefe Member

BYOC triboost anyone? $95 kit, switchable mosfet, LPB, and ge treble/mid/full range boost. Can this thing seriously be worth almost $300 more? Maybe if you agree that "a 5% improvement in tone is worth selling your children for", but I honestly doubt there's even that much difference in these pedals. It's a boost. They can be eq'd a little differently from each other, but it's still just a boost. Think about what you could buy with that $300!

11. Smokehouse

Here what the switch's do and can also be found on this page of the Rockett site. http://rockettpedals.com/boostpage2.html

Within this pedal you have:
    1. Line Buffer
    2. Clean Boost
    3. Treble Boost
    4. Fat Boost

Switch Functions as you are looking at the photo above on this page: 1. Top Switch - "Line Buffer" 2 position Switch right = Off Switch left= On
    2. Lower Left Switch - "Punch/Bite" - Switch down = Punch Switch up = Bite
    3. Center Lower Switch - "Boost/Cut" - Switch Down = Cut Switch up = Boost
    4. Far Right 3 Way Switch - "Fat/Clean/Treble" Switch down = Fat Switch Center = Clean Switch up = Treble
    5. Top Left Knob = Tone
    6. Top Right Knob = Level

12. rewog

rewog Member

Sorry, but I have to say...

Everything I've seen posted about Rocket Pedals smacks of Spam.
    Right from the very first indiscretion where one of the builders came here and pretended to be a user, asking if anyone had heard of this fantastic new pedal....
    to the 2 or 3 here who post constant, over the top descriptions of the pedal and company... with regular bumps, always making sure to include a link.

The builders should make a post in the Dealers section.
    If the pedal is good, it will fly on it's own merits.

13. Smokehouse

Fair comment Rewog. However I "have no dog in this hunt" whatsoever, other than I happened to jump onboard early and I was totally impressed and just trying to pass on some of the excitement I have for this pedal. In my initial post even I said this comes across as over the top and that I needed more time for an analytical review. And as I mentioned I believe as more people try this pedal you will hear more great comments about it. I'll let the pedal speak for itself.

No Link posted this time ;)

Seriously, I am just impressed with this pedal and passing on what I am experiencing so far for anyone interested.

Smok'

14. rewog

rewog Member

Cool then.

Thanks.

15. TommyStrat

TommyStrat Member

Hey bud. I agree with you and was pretty hard to sell myself. I have no interest either other than I am a tone junky and have tons of pedals. If you get to try this pedal you will love it. I have been recording with it all week long. I have not heard the clip on the website but I heard Mr Rockett play live and loved the separation he had and the bellish overtones. He was very professional to me and his guitar was one of the few guitars that I have played that could rival my strats in set up and tone. I work on several peoples guitars and have an amp collection that is pretty stellar so selling me is pretty hard. I have not seen the other post your speaking about and really could care less. Smokehouse emailed me and I decided to post back. Thanks for keeping everyone honest. The forum is great and I feel lucky to have all you guys to learn from.

16. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

Please post some clips.