• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Rockett Drives

Mick_Braun

Gold Supporting Member
Been digging the Archer for some time now, another thread here convinced me to try the Dude. Really like it. The Animal is on my radar - but will it get me anywhere my KOT can't?

mikey69

The Animal is awesome, I love mine, its a Marshall type pedal, lower gain JTM i guess they say, does 1 thing well and that's it, very articulate and clear sounding, a OD pedal with some character and grind but your base tone comes thru, I do not think you can go wrong ... I think the Animal is a different *species* then the KOT so why not have both ?

tostyj

I used to own an Animal and I still own a KOT. They sound nothing alike. The Animal is a great sounding pedal, but it tends to get lost in a band mix. It's also a bit noisy. I've also had a lot of problems with Rockett pedals breaking on me and have never been able to get a response from their customer service. Other than that.........

Tone chader

I used to own an Animal and I still own a KOT. They sound nothing alike. The Animal is a great sounding pedal, but it tends to get lost in a band mix. It's also a bit noisy. I've also had a lot of problems with Rockett pedals breaking on me and have never been able to get a response from their customer service. Other than that.........
Really? I always get a human on the phone when I call with questions at JRAD.

tostyj

Really? I always get a human on the phone when I call with questions at JRAD.
Unfortunately yes. I didn't call though, I emailed. I have nothing against Rockett and I still use my WTF, just didn't have great luck with them. I had problems with both my Animal and Blue Note.

Mick_Braun

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for that perspective. I don’t play out much anymore, so my measuring stick is more along the lines of a clean pedal platform (low wattage EL84 at bedroom volume). Fortunately no issues yet with JRAD pedals but it can always happen.

Last edited:

frankencat

Guitarded
Gold Supporting Member
The Animal is awesome. I seemed to have either misplaced mine or loaned it to someone but I hope to find it again. It is brown and it is awesome. :)

Mick_Braun

Gold Supporting Member
If you're looking in that drive range, their Flex Drive is worth a try. That plus their Lemon Aid is an excellent stack.
Always wanted to try those. Had the Blue Note in the previous form factor and it was solid.

Mick_Braun

Gold Supporting Member
The Animal is awesome, I love mine, its a Marshall type pedal, lower gain JTM i guess they say, does 1 thing well and that's it, very articulate and clear sounding, a OD pedal with some character and grind but your base tone comes thru, I do not think you can go wrong ... I think the Animal is a different *species* then the KOT so why not have both ?
Ha yeah. I think “get both” is always acceptable Gear Page advice!

Z Boogieman

I owned the Flex Drive, Blue Note, and Chicken Soup all at the same time, for about a two year period.

I eventually realized that the Flex Drive was truly the most flexible, doing what several pedals can do. However, I found having a compression pedal in front of it takes it even farther. I have kept this one for about four, or more years now. I keep it on my smallest board, and it easily covers a range from clean boost to fuzz.

I may have 5 or more drive pedals, and several fuzz, on my larger boards. At times it seems silly to have so many drive pedals on one board, but that can make a simple, lightweight Princeton Reverb, as versatile, without the need to tweak, as a heavy Mesa Mark V amp, that may, or may not need tweaking.

Mick_Braun

Gold Supporting Member
OK, so have Animal incoming, along with a couple of others (Riot Mini, JHS AT) I want to try out as the high(er) gain drive on my new board project. I know these 3 may not be exactly alike but we'll see what works best for me.

Mick_Braun

Gold Supporting Member
Animal is cool. At first I wasn’t sure about it but once I learned what it’s supposed to be about - lower gain - I “got it.”

NorCal_Val

love my Rockett “Holdsworth” OD.
it seems to play nice with more amps than any of my other OD pedals.

Trending Topics