Rockett GTO version 2

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Nick, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Nick

Nick Member

Hi guys

Has anyone tried the GTO version 2 from Rockett pedals ?
    Im leaning towards this or Wampler Euphoria for countrytones.

Best wishes
    Nick

2. Dunzie

Dunzie Member

Very different pedals through my rig. I have the GTO and am on the fence with it because while it does exactly what Guthrie and Rockett aimed for it to do, I'm not sure I need that for much of what we play. It's got a good amount of drive, lots of cutting midrange and actually responsive tone controls too. Lots of immediate response to it.

The Euphoria is a cool drive, but I think if you played it back to back with the GTO you'd find it anemic. It's much less in your face and punchy, instead more of the smooth, slightly thinner and saggier sound. I kept it on the board a long time and used it mostly in the smooth setting with the gain up, but even in the crunch or open settings isn't really a comparable sound to the GTO.

Unfortunately not a lot of demo vids up yet on the GTO but this guy has one here that does give a pretty good feel even if it isn't a Mike Hermans quality demo...

3. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

new demo.... jury is still out for me..... I owned GTO 1, found it kinda' bright and "pedal-sounding"... this one does seem more up my alley....

I'm waiting for Guthrie to do a demo....

4. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

here's another..... still waiting for some user reviews, but not many people (TGPers, anyway) buying, it seems. From this latest demo, I could see the GTO2 competing with my Blue Note: a lower gain, uncompresed, boost/drive. As opposed to the more smooth/compressed ODs available...

I could also see it being capable of the same things as "The Lenny" pedal...

5. Teleman76

Teleman76 Supporting Member

Big Guthrie fan here. I like very open overdrive pedals with no added compression. The GTO has compression, not really in an overly bad way but again I prefer very open sounding pedals like the Jan Ray, Super Six, Nobels ODR-1.

The GTO has a lot of versatility to it. You can have scooped mids or full blown mids. It goes from Nobels to Plexi and everything in between. If you're not overly sensitive to pedals with compression you'd more than likely dig the GTO

6. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Interesting.... I never found the ODR-1 "compression free", I owned the ODR-1, Timmy, and Barber LTD-SR at the same time... the ODR-1 had more compression than the other 2, with the Timmy having the least (with the dipswitches set to stock anyway).

So you think the new GTO is more compressed than the ODR-1? Have you ever owned a Blue Note? In low gain mode, it has a little compression, but in a good way- and amp way, not a pedal way-... but it's still FAR less compressed than say, my FD2. Unless I switch to comp-cut mode of course.

Right now, with my BN serving as my "just a little" pedal, less compressed, more like turning the amp up" pedal.... the GTO interests me in taking over THAT slot. I'll keep my other, more compressed ODs for higher (in reality, MEDIUM) gain stuff...

7. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

ah well. So few people buying these things (apparently), it looks like I'll have to do the beta testing myself.... probably order one tomorrow. See how well it stacks with my EP Booster....

8. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Just spent 15 min with it- that's all it took. Not for me. Going back. I actually preferred the v.1 GTO. I found v1 rounder and thicker. Oh well, I still have my Blue Note!!!

short review: this one has more high mids than v.1, and I find myself cranking the bass control ALL the time to keep it from sounding too thin. The treble control stays mighty low as well. Maybe it's magic through a PR with 12" speaker (Guthrie's main amp), but I'm not digging it at all on the clean or dirty channels of my SS22. I prefer the FD2 pre-mosfet, G2D Cream-Tone, and Mesa Flux Drive I have sitting here.

Altho I will say: it sounds better the higher the gain is turned up. But my Flux covers that territory, and better than the GTO2 to my ears.

9. OverDrivenGtr

OverDrivenGtr Member

By v.1, do you mean the original black 3 knob GT drive pedal? Always wanted to try one but still haven't.

10. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Affirmative.

OverDrivenGtr likes this.
  11. jimboslow

jimboslow Member

Based on some of the demos and descriptions I was wondering how close this might be to the blue note and the Timmy. I have the blue note had the Timmy), and now want a similar low gain/transparent pedal to use for low gain and to stack with my dude pedal on a second/smaller board. How similar are these to the blue note or timmy? Or should I just get another blue note or timmy?

12. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

I don't think the GTO2 is much like either the Blue Note (which I own) or the Timmy (which I used to own). It's got a high mids signature the other 2 don't.

13. Stratodan27

Stratodan27 Member

I was about to pull the trigger on the GTO v2 pedal, until I read this thread. Glad I did. Need to do more research and put more thought into it. Doesn't sound like it's for me if it has more of a thinner, brighter tone. I'm all about fat, warm and smooth. I've got the Blue Note and The Dude and love both of those pedals. Thanks all!

14. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

That's what it sounds like when Guthrie uses it, but I couldn't get either version to sound like that... altho GTO1 was closer than GTO2. I liked the Dude better. And I like the Mesa Flux-Drive even more than that.

15. Stratodan27

Stratodan27 Member

I'm "over the moon" with The Dude pedal! It's taken me over 40 years but I finally found MY overdrive pedal. It just suits my style of playing perfectly. I must have over 30 OD/Dist pedals (Tonebone tube drives, Fulltone, Suhr, bla, bla, bla) so the last thing I need is another drive pedal. But I seem to have an addiction to acquiring new dirt pedals! Don't think it can be stopped. I'm on the hunt now for an OD pedal that borders on distortion for classic rock tight rhythm tones (Thin Lizzy, Bad Co, Cars, Aerosmith, etc.) but I'm not looking for an amp in a box deal. I've got several pedals that cop the Marshall plexi or hot rodded Marshall JCM800 amp thing. I've been looking at the GTO, Wampler Paisley Drive Dlx, Hot Wired, & Euphoria pedals, and some of the XTS pedals Atomic OD, Imperial drive, Winford drive, Precision drive, etc. I'm in no rush...and it's a good thing, cuz so far nothing I've heard online seems to match what I want. The search goes on!

ruger9 likes this.