Rockett Pedals ANIMAL & FLEX DRIVE

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by benjisaynomore, Feb 5, 2012.

1. benjisaynomore

benjisaynomore Member

I just bought both! Brought me back from GAS dormancy.

Anyone have experience with these pedals? I'd like to know people's thoughts and favorite guitar/amp set-ups as well as settings to entertain while I wait for them to arrive! :munch

2. cribcage

cribcage Member

If I were going to buy another dirt pedal, the Flex Drive would be on my (very) short list. I'm afraid I don't have enough experience to share favorite settings, etc., but it's a terrific and underrated pedal. I love Rockett's entire line of dirt but I think the Flex Drive is the most versatile (appropriately), and from a very brief conversation with the Rockett staff a few years back I got the impression that it was their favorite.

3. Jay_dicky

Jay_dicky Member

Love it!! I too have just returned from "GAS dormancy" and this Rockett line of pedals is the culprit. Gotta give Red Witch a shout too. I have been favoring the animal, but after reading what I can find, I am now a bit torn between the flex drive and animal. I want something that is different than what I already have, but versatility is nice to. For the record i am still leaning toward the animal.

Can anyone compare them to other pedals, or try to describe their differences? I can't find much out there in the ether. I'm sure they are both great, and no mistake can really be made, but if you had to pick one, which and why?

Can anyone compare these to my current OD quiver? And btw, I do plan on letting go of a few of these in the very near future, my former "GAS" episode was a bad one. :facepalm

Here is a list of my od pedals:

Lovepedal eternity burst HW (1)
    Lovepedal custom od 11
    Lovepedal E6
    OCD v.1 & v.4
    Xotic bb preamp (3)
    Hermida zen drive (2)
    Keeley rat 83'
    Maxon od9
    Maxon od808
    Timmy

Yeah I know, it's a mid life crisis thing... Must be it. I rated my 3 current favorites in ()

4. SReynolds

SReynolds Supporting Member

I went to a local guitar shop (area 22 Guitars) to try out a few pedals. First and formost I've never been much on pedals. Then I plugged into a Rockett pedal. I tried the Blue Note, Chicken Soup and the Animal. All incredible pedals. The most trasparent, toneful pedals I've ever heard, & they clean up great. The Chicken soup will make your clean tone so much better as a clean boost or turn up the gain for fantastic rythms and leads. The Blue Note is voiced different more marshally and very useful for all kinds of stuff. I can set the gain low on the CS for great simi cleans for rythms and kick in the Blue Drive for some great lead tones. The Blue Note is a great pedal. I played the Animal and it was great as well but didn't know if I would use that much gain.
    I bought the CS and the Blue Note, I could't leave either one. I'm now considering going back and buying the animal. The noise level is very low on these pedals. Everytime I buy a pedal I think the next day why in the world did I buy that for. I can give you all kinds a reasons why I bought both of these. Best pedals I've ever heard.

5. tonegangster

tonegangster Silver Supporting Member

6. Jay_dicky

Jay_dicky Member

I am going to sell off a few pedals and get the animal and blue note I think. I'd like to play in the vein of joe bonamassa, Andy Timmons types of tones. I'm playing blues/rock stuff. The amps I'm currently using are a maz jr nr with blue speaker and a rebel 20 with A g12h30.

Does anyone have an opinion on how these rockett pedals compare to others out there, or are they totally distinct? I'm still not 100% decided. The flex drive looms on the horizon as well. Oof

7. standingzero

standingzero Member

Can anyone comment how the Flex drive compares to a Menatone KOTB? I'm interested in both plexi style pedals.

8. Jay_dicky

Jay_dicky Member

I just pulled the trigger on the blue note and animal. I made a great connection on where to get them too. I'll report back with my impressions. Oh yeah!!!

9. Jay_dicky

Jay_dicky Member

Still waiting for the animal and blue note. Picked up a flex drive the other day for a price I couldn't refuse. If this is what rockett has to offer, I can't wait for the other two. The flex drive is awesome! It's a rock machine. If you want that mid shaping, tone monster sound, get it. It's sitting next to a HW Lovepedal burst, a zen drive and more than holds its own.
    Rockett will take you to the moon!!!

10. DIECHEATO

DIECHEATO Member

Sorry about the necro post! Earlier today I got the MF SDOTD Rocket Flex Drive. I watched two demos and was convinced to get it.