Rockett Pedals 'Animal' Overdrive - anybody tried one?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bucksears, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Bucksears

Bucksears Supporting Member

I know it hasn't been out all that long, but has anyone tried the Rockett 'Animal' Overdrive?
    Just curious as to how it compares to the FlexDrive and any other Plexi-inspried pedals.

Thanks,
    - Buck

2. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

Bump.
    I'm interested too.

3. Dale

Dale Member

I was until the 57th spam message.

4. j4j

j4j Member

Looks kinda like the DLS...

j4j

5. smoss469

smoss469 Member

So they got you too eh? I got 5 within 15 seconds but I didn't get anymore after. (I didn't check my spam folder though)

6. RedRock

RedRock Member

+1.

7. Rockett

Rockett Member

To all of you that got the 6 e-mails in a row we apologize. It was a glitch in the e-mail server. Believe me it sucked for us answering all of those questions.

We had it out with our email service but unfortunately there was no turning back what had already happened.

Again, we apologize and we hope you can give the Animal a fair shake

Thanks
    Rockett

8. man_mars

man_mars Member

Bumping this thread...I looking for opinions for this pedal. Has anyone compared it to the DLS ? Which is less compressed and does it stack well with other pedals ?

Cheers !!!

9. Bucksears

How is the low-end on this pedal? Tight or loose?

10. man_mars

man_mars Member

Does it feel uncompressed and open like the description ? And chance for a comparison with the DLS on gain structure and feel ?

Cheers !!!

11. voojo

voojo Gold Supporting Member

Any new information on the Rockett Animal?

Just ordered one from Brad @ Tonefactor, can't wait to get it! The demo video sounds pretty good on Youtube.

12. Bucksears

Mine is waiting for me when I get home. I want something for the 'classic Marshall' sound (not 'hot rod' Marshall) and I hope this does the trick. The DLS, while a well made pedal, was too low gain and too dark for what I wanted; I don't need a 'foundation' pedal and I'm not into OD stacking (although I love the boost feature in the CM AC-Tone).

We'll hear how this one goes - I agree with the above poster, the demo sounds really good and hope the pedal reflects that. I think some of the DLS demos on YouTube sounded nothing like the one I got.

13. voojo

Would love to hear your thoughts once you get to spend some time with the Animal! Mine should be here next week. I too have a DLS, I really like it but I'm always interested in trying new things!

Here is that video in case anybody is interested in watching it:

14. Smokehouse

Smokehouse Member

I must say I like the vids of this pedal. I may have to add this to my board. I think the Animal will compliment the Rockett Afterburner & Boost I already have. Price is right too !

15. Dale

Dale Member

It and the Flex drive sound great.

16. Bucksears

Well, I got the Animal yesterday and it's not for me. I'm definitely in the 'non-stacking' camp; I don't want to have to hit two pedals for one sound.
    It's a bit dark, has a decent amount of gain, but it's clearly in the 'vintage' realm. Despite descriptions about how 'open' it is, it feels quite compressed to me. You know that 'sounds like it's coming from the center of the speaker' sound? (like it's not filling up the speaker all the way?) This pedal does that IMHO. Maybe it's my setup, but there are few production pedals these days that I like through my Super head.

Like the DLS, the Animal feels like it has a little bit of a blanket over it to me. Lacks clarity. To be honest, it sounds very similar to the Jetter Gold that I sold earlier this week, only it lacks the treble and aural 'size' of the Gold. On the plus side, I liked the Animal a LOT more than the DLS.

I don't mean to dissuade anyone from buying it, or the positive results of those to like it, it just doesn't work for me.

Silenceborn likes this.
  17. kstrat62

kstrat62 Member

The Jetter Gold sounded bigger?

18. Bucksears

The Jetter Gold had a LITTLE more treble & gain, and the bass was a little tighter. The Gold was more of a smooth lead pedal, but they both lack the high end of my BSIAB II, Dr. Boogey and modded AC-Tone.

The Gold 'filled up' the speakers more when you turn up the volume; the Animal sounds more like a 'distortion pedal' than the Gold does (to me).

19. Rockett

Rockett Member

Hey Buck, what amp are you playing through?? just curious because I have never heard the Animal ever be described as not open. The only amps I have ever played it through that would create a compressed sound are AC30/15 types or some of the Matchless AC type amps....they tend to do that to all OD pedals. I use the Animal through a Vibro King and a 1971 Super Lead 100 and it is extremely open....it is an OD not a distortion...anyway, just curious it is always good to have input from guys with other setups. I wish we had every amp under the sun to try these things out with!!!

20. voojo

I should get mine tonight & will post a review when I get a little time with it. The only thing that scared me about Buck's review is the not open/compressed deal. I'm not a player that likes compression at all. As Buck said it may be rig specific. I'll be running mine through a Viking Pillager amp (30 watt/5881 power tube) & eventually a Traynor Dark Horse amp (15 watt/6V6.)

Judging by the few clips I've heard of the Animal and the reviews I wouldn't expect much compression, but who knows until you play it!