• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Rockett Pedals Archer (Klon clone)

Had an Archer for one week. Great tone, but I just discovered that the Archer seems to mess up with my Ditto Looper that is at the end of my chain: the Ditto wasn't reacting properly to actions on the swith and I thought the mecanical switch of the Ditto was dying. I removed the Archer from the chain and it appears the Ditto is back to function perfectly.

I don't know if it's the Archer buffer or the internal charge pump but this is going to make the Archer difficult to use in my chain if it messes too much with digital pedals.

I have an Archer and a Ditto and no problems here.

Squigglefunk

Although I've never used a real Klon, I do have several klones (ARC, MO, Archer, Soul Food, Siamese Drive). Imo, they are more similar than different. They each have their respective advantages, but there is no special "magic" that you're missing out on with the ARC. It's fantastic, imo. You can go far down the rabbit hole without finding a better klone.

+1 you have already wasted too much time worrying about it

Chill_Billy

Finally received my Archer from Prymaxe. I've never used a Klon based pedal before but I really like it. Theres a warmth to it that my Morning Glory seems to lack as a first-in-chain tone shaping pedal.

sstweed

Silver Supporting Member
I've been using a few klones lately including the Archer. Maybe I'm not a Klon guy but I think they're fun at home but live they always leave me a little flat. That seems contrary to everything I've ever read about Klons and how they really only shine when you play loud and your amp is working. I have several pedals I would rate as being much more mix friendly than a Klone. I haven't given up on it yet though. It takes time.

Jess 1971

Silver Supporting Member
I showed up to a gig once where there was a backline of a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue and some other Marshall type of thing that the other guitarist in my band used. Anyway, I used my ARC Klone through the DRRI and it was one of the most excellent guitar tones I've ever had. It was cranked up pretty high, as it was a big stage in a big room, and it was really great. The Klon-type pedals definitely excel at gig volumes, IMO.

Braunzo

I gigged the Archer this weekend. I don't think it's going to go anywhere anytime soon. The feel of th pedal is impressive. It pushed my SL quite nicely for heavier tones. I also think the buffer adds something to my signal. My drives down the chain seemed to sound better/clearer. I'm really digging this thing.

cacibi

Best Lead Boost I have ever owned hands down. Endless sustain. I have been playing over 40 years. Use it with the Direct Drive, Gain Changer and Xotic SL.

Curious if you're running it before or after your Barber pedals? Just wiring up my new board now and figured to run mine before to boost both gains and mids for leads.

dognmoon

Silver Supporting Member
I got one last week and went bonkers over it at home. At gig volume, I ended up running the gain quite a bit lower and goosing the treble so that it functioned less as a dirt box and more as a pedal that aims to make my amp feel more confident and boisterous. I've played a legit Klon once before- years ago- so I have no dog in the "How Does It Compare" fight. For me, the Archer is just a VERY usable grit pedal that can make most rigs sound more exciting. Mine is post-Mirage comp and pre-Mojohand Bluebonnet v1. Between these three pedals, I can do any gig this side of a death metal polka.

62Tele

Silver Supporting Member
There are a lot of digital delays on boards around here - how is the Archer working with others? How about Boss, Eventide, Diamond, Earthquaker etc?

Mine is (at the moment) sitting on my Nano board after a Snow White Auto Wah and a Hybrid Fuzz Driver, using the amp reverb and trem for everything 'else'. It'll get a proper test at a practice this week, but the idea is to run both gain pedals off of my guitar's volume pot and it seems to work great, even stacked. Really wanted to find something small to use as a clean boost/low gainer that had a buffer and so far so good.

Slowhand9

j Rockett Archer Vs Buffalo FX Power Booster
Since both of them have an internal voltage upsurge (9-18V) and are essentially transparent boosters and both clones (one of the Klon and the other of the Coloursound) I was wondering if anyone actually did an A/B with these two beauties to demonstrate their similarities/uniqueness?
Would love to hear about this from people who've actually have used both and/or have done an A/B test. Thanks!

starfish

Find it peculiar no one has mentioned any of this yet. Instead of bickering who makes what, and subcontractors and bla blas.

1. In another thread it has been known to several users, that certain digital pedals, such as Strymons delays/reverbs, producing a high whistling pitch when used together with Klon (original), and Klon like pedals (Klones)

I wonder if the Archer does this too?

I have the original Klon (silver) and must hunt down a replacement for it just because of that. I did once a bare recording of the noise from the pedal, but I ahd to jack up the sampling frequency to 192 Khz on my soundcard interface. When viewing the waveform, the Klon produces a peak at 21 Khz and 22 Khz. Not to be heard by anyone, and not enough for a tube amp to let it pass through. Someone stated that it had to do with Klons usage of a certain charge pump inside.

But it is this peak above hearing range that some digital pedals in the rest of the chain can track down - especiall when using pitch shifting - and produce a high pitched whistle within the hearing range.

Even if I just hit the front of my tube amp with the Klon ONLY, and let all the rest of the pedals go through the FX loop, the amp preamp tube and so on, will not filter out this high whistling note before it goes through the FX loop. I have tried with numerous amps. And running the Klon directly into the digital pedals and let them all hit the front of the amp is a complete no-no and taboo in my book. Then the whistle is heard whenever the Klon is active, regadless of knob settings. The Klon should hit the amp first especially if it's a tube amp. And nothing else.

- - - - - -

Now as for the old shootout video of the Archer and real Klon, one can clearly hear a deeper thump and initial pick attack on the real Klon that is not present on the Archer at all. I find this somewhat peculiar as I'd rather not trust ANY video on YT, since YT uses compression techniques that whacks up the sound. Then it must be even more difference from them IRL.

One doesn't detect it in the decaying/sustaining part of the note, where the two is about an even wash as it can be. But it's in the dynamic initial transient pick attack that is slightly a tad more "chuggah" on the real Klon. Both in clean boost and full dirt mode.

I've written about this extensively in several threads. I have a thread about the MO / Archer / Soul Food too. Yes, the Archer can produce the same noise. In some cases it is less severe, but still audible and present. I believe the Archer's charge pump chip is likely running at the higher osc. rate as outlined in the manufacturer's data sheet instructions. Typically ^35k or above. This may change the audibility of the charge pump itself but not the heterodyning present with Strymon.

I have a working hypothesis. Strymon is not running their AD/DA at 96k or whatever the max. is for the converter, at least not in several scenarios. In fact, this can be confirmed with an experiment. Nearly everyone hears the noise with the Timeline when the grit knob is set to the on position (CCW is off). My hypothesis is the function of the grit knob is brute force downsampling. How can this be confirmed? Grab a Mobius, select the Destroyer and begin changing the sampling parameter. Same noises, same issue. As you down sample, the noise increases.

You can hear this noise on chorus, flanger and destroyer on Mobius, Shimmer on BigSky, and several of the Timeline delay machines. I'm speculating that the converter may not be running at full sampling bandwidth ever, and at the very least, the unit is designed to down sample. The other potential issue might lie with the digital filter on the converters of the Strymon pedals. The rolloff frequency and slope may be contributing factors.

For comparison, I tried several other manufacturers' digital delays such as the Eventide H9, as an example. The noise is not present with any of the Klon(e)s I own.

Mikeroesoft

Silver Supporting Member
I have not read through this thread but thought I'd share my experience. A few years back -2010 or 2011-, I bought a silver Klon. I instantly fell in love with it but as the prices began to get out of control, I started to think that it was silly to have a device that would cost me $900 to replace.

I bought one of the first Aluminum Falcon's to try and replace the Klon. I really liked the pedal, but it didn't have the same clean harmonic shimmer that my Klon had so I sold it. Then I bought one of the first 200 KTRs from the Guitar Sanctuary. I was bummed out again because I had really hoped for it to be as good as the silver Klon and it just wasn't. I even had a friend switch them out for each other without telling me which was which and I could always pick out the original Klon. In fact, although I never had a chance to try the AF and the KTR side by side, I seemed to remember the AF being closer to the Klon than the KTR was.

I sold the silver Klon because I needed the money and knew I wouldn't be able to replace the Klon with another if it broke and convinced myself that I could get by with the KTR. Well, a month later I sold the KTR, cause it just wasn't the same. To me, the Klon is not a super diverse pedal, it does what it does really well and for my use, it adds a "harmonic shimmer" to a clean tone that was just about to break, and does it in the most musical way. The KTR pushed a clean tone alright, but not any better than my Fairfield Barbershop OD. The Barbershop isn't a Klon and it's never going to be, but it is a must have pedal IMO and it is more useful to me than any of the Klon clones/KTR that I have tried. It's grittier and less elegant than a Klon but can serve a similar use.

Anyway, I bought an Archer this past weekend and I am still working out how I feel about it. Though I will never likely have the chance to do a side by side comparison with the Klon, the clean boost is nice but I didn't drop the first time I plugged it in like I did with the silver Klon. Its possible my tastes have changed but I have yet, to stop and say "that's it" the way I did the first time I plugged in my old Klon. This is from memory but I would put klones I tried in the this order.
1-AF
2-Archer
3-KTR

silversonic65

This is the best description that are consistent with my experiences:

I just got my Archer today. I immediately plugged it in next to my KTR to compare. Here are my observations:

The Archer seems to focus a little more on the lower mids than the KTR while the KTR seems slightly more focused on the upper mids. The KTR is more open sounding and more trebly at the same settings and probably cuts through the mix a little better than the Archer. The mids of the Archer give it slightly more girth and fatness than the KTR. The KTR seems more hi-fi sounding with extremely clear note separation in chords. The Archer is not as hi-fi sounding, is slightly warmer, but still has good note separation. The Archer seems to retain a little more of the bass frequencies than the KTR.

Both pedals sound great and very similar but I do lean towards liking the slightly fatter sound of the Archer a little more. I won't be getting rid of my KTR but for now the Archer is on my board.

Billy Idle

I haven't tried the Archer but I will do it soon.
I wonder if I can get similar tones to my Lovepedal Kalamazoo, since it has been said that at low gain, the Kalamazoo nails it.

harrymaes

I haven't tried the Archer but I will do it soon.
I wonder if I can get similar tones to my Lovepedal Kalamazoo, since it has been said that at low gain, the Kalamazoo nails it.

This might help
The Kalamazoo is a different design but can get similar results at lower gain settings.

onebigholiday

Silver Supporting Member
tried this out last night...

my synopsis: the tone is very similar, the boxes reflect their general aura... the big one is comparable to the "oomph" that comes with playing out of a 4x12, the little one is like playing out of a 1x12. the archer is a fair replacement... in fact, the klon owner asked if he could use the archer for live performances...

Last edited:

vicenzajay

Anyone here have both the Mythical OD and the Archer? Would love your thoughts.

I have both - never had a Klon, and don't really need to know that comparison. However, playing both the MO and the Archer has been revealing. They sound "close", but the feel of playing them is quite different in my opinion. Very noticeable difference, in fact.

Wondering if anyone else had the same or different impression after playing both pedals.

sstweed

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone here have both the Mythical OD and the Archer? Would love your thoughts. I have both - never had a Klon, and don't really need to know that comparison. However, playing both the MO and the Archer has been revealing. They sound "close", but the feel of playing them is quite different in my opinion. Very noticeable difference, in fact. Wondering if anyone else had the same or different impression after playing both pedals.

I have two MO's and an Archer. All three feel different. I have one of the black special edition MO's and it sounds really good. It has the bass the archer doesn't have. Slightly different mid feel. I don't miss the bass live. And I love the Archers footprint. You could waste an awful lot of time trying to figure out which one sounds better (ask me how I know). And change anything about your setup (I've been going through a bunch of speakers lately for example) or a different mix one night and all bets are off. In the end its splitting hairs. No one will ever know but you. Still don't know which one I'll keep if any.

dognmoon

Silver Supporting Member
I have two MO's and an Archer. All three feel different. I have one of the black special edition MO's and it sounds really good. It has the bass the archer doesn't have. Slightly different mid feel. I don't miss the bass live. And I love the Archers footprint. You could waste an awful lot of time trying to figure out which one sounds better (ask me how I know). And change anything about your setup (I've been going through a bunch of speakers lately for example) or a different mix one night and all bets are off. In the end its splitting hairs. No one will ever know but you. Still don't know which one I'll keep if any.

This is exactly what I've felt. I compared the KTR with the Archer and the Archer felt like it had less low end, but I thought that would be beneficial since I'm using it as a pre-boost for a mojohand Bluebonnet OD. I mean, talk about the subtlest of differences, I had to keep testing to see if my eyes were convincing my ears that there was a difference. My wife has no dog in the fight at all and she could hear the slightest difference. But she, too, admitted that she might have been looking for a difference and her preconceptions found one for her.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom