Rockin' Out w/Homebuild & Les Paul (requested clip)

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by JubileeMan 2555, Oct 14, 2008.

1. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Here you go guys. Both guitar parts are with les Paul and I even played the bass (though it was direct in)

Les Paul through Homebuild

2. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

sounds awesome to me! what is the amp? tasty playing!

3. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Thanks, Its kinda my own creation. I took a 70's dumble sorta circuit and worked from there. The power section is all fender and other odd and ends throughout that I've tweaked, tayloring to my sound. I'm not into Jazz-fusion sounds so a true dumble never suited my style. I like rawer tones.

What might surprise some is the fact its using a 15" EV speaker.

4. vgm

vgm Member

Thanks for the clip! Your amp sounds equally good with humbuckers as it does with single coils. I too like a rawer style of tones. Thanks again.

5. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

That's really nice, love how you get the edgy rhythm and the smooth lead tones.
    How are the cleans?

6. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Thanks, I've found that most the amps I've worked on, that if i can get them sounding pretty good with a strat, the les paul falls into place pretty nicely.

The funnest part is that I didn't change the amp's settings for rhythm and lead. I just dig in with a lead that compresses the sound and smooths it out.

Cleans are awesome. I stopped doing clean clips a while back though. Seems folks really only care about dirty, and sorta for good reason. LOTS of amps sound good clean, but far fewer work blistering.

Put it this way, IMO, Its beaten my Super for cleans since it got a warmer response when digging in. Though, soft playing, the super does seem to have a much more pronounced bell-tone. Which I contribute to much higher B+ voltages in the preamp section vs. my homebuild.

7. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Sweet .. uhm how loud is this amp ... can you get all that in a lower volume setup??

8. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

yeah, for the most part. Its not quite as clear at even lower settings, but there isn't all that much sacrifice.

This recording was not at anywhere NEAR the volume of my cranked super reverb clips. I'd say it was at a comfortable stage volume level with an average hitting drummer. This recording was done WAY below the maximum gain/volume this amp can put out. It has a 2x7581a (6l6gc) Power section.

Though, its sorta hard to describe the volume of anything over the net.

9. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

that sounded great all around , great playing too. One of the few rock clips you hear , why i dont know but thanks people still have fun playing !!!

10. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Well, there are some real amazing technical players on this board, and I simply think thats very intimidating for regular guys that just want to rock out. Its sort of a feeling that we are looked down upon since we don't have the cerebral approach to the instrument.

I always just have fun playing. Its really the only point, imo.

11. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

any ways great playing and sounding clip . I enjoyed it and appreciated it as much or more than any technical playing , ok way more !!

12. stuagu

stuagu Member

acdctastic! i loved it... my cuppa tea!:dude