Rocking out to the Violent Femmes today

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by billfoma, Mar 2, 2012.

1. billfoma

billfoma Member

It has been a couple years since I last listened to the Femmes. Such an underrated, fun, simple band. Enjoy!

2. Teleking

Teleking Supporting Member

3. mbargav

mbargav Member

Music definitely needs more xylophone solos:

4. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I loved the first 3 records.

Being from Southeastern Wisconsin and that first record came out my freshman or sophomore year of high school- they were WAY up there for me. I learned to play barre chords from "Promise." I think it's pretty awesome they're really ubiquitous in an underground-y 80s-y sort of way-

I think the Hallowed Ground record is REALLY good, and really overlooked.

5. iinsic

iinsic Member

My brother Brian is/was the bass player, so I guess I can shill a little for his new band. Check out the link below for The Break. Brian plus 3 guys from Midnight Oil. Awesome, awesome surf music.

http://www.thebreak.net.au/media.html

6. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Thread Bump.

Last night I was doing some work out in the garage, decided to throw that first record on while working... Damn. That first record is really, really good. Although the "hits" from that record now really wear thin on me, the songs later on in the record are just so damn good.

I guess it doesn't help having the nostalgic connection to that record either.

7. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

I have loved Violent Femmes since I first heard them while in junior high school back in the 80s. Definitely a great band with great tunes. They were also a very strong live trio when I saw them.

8. '58Bassman

'58Bassman Member

It's too bad they don't get along together- it was a lot of fun seeing them play in little places like Celebrity Club, Harpo's and Shank Hall.

9. jmczaja

jmczaja Member

I couldn't agree with you more! Excellent record..

10. direwolf

direwolf Supporting Member

Forgot how much that dude owned the accoustic bass and made it his bitch. Jaw dropping solos.

11. '58Bassman

'58Bassman Member

A friend was on their road crew for years and he said Flea would sit in front of Brian to watch, lack-jawed.

12. '58Bassman

'58Bassman Member

Does he/they have plans to come to MKE? I haven't talked with him in years. Used to bump into each other at the Kohl's grocery store near Bay Shore when he had his house in WFB as well as playing together a couple of times at Celebrity Club.

13. LesMesa

LesMesa Member

I read somewhere that he moved to Australia? Guess that must be true given the Midnight Oil connection. Love the Femmes!

14. Teleking

Teleking Supporting Member

Truly brilliant and highly underrated band. Huge, huge fan. I highly recommend you buy the remaster of the first album. They really did a nice job on it. It sounds much, much better.

15. iinsic

iinsic Member

Brian may be coming back to MKE in July, not sure of the dates. Indeed he lives in Australia, Tasmania to be exact, so it's a trek to come back to the states.

Forgot about Celebrity Club, fun little place. They used to do that Has Beens of Rock gig with Sigmund Snopek III. Haven't thought about that for years.

16. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Your brother was the bassist for the Violent Femmes? Man I grew up listening to those killer basslines! That's awesome!

17. '58Bassman

'58Bassman Member

I went to see The Has Beens for years, at Harpo's. THAT was a great gig. Not necessarily consistent, but always interesting and often, something great happened. They had a lot of people sit in, too.

18. HenryAdams

HenryAdams Member

Oh, man...one of the biggest regrets of my musical life was when the Femmes cames to town, a double bill with They Might Be Giants, and I was supposed to go with a girl I had a HUGE crush on who was a year or two older than me. But I had a track meet the next day....Why did I have to be such a good little boy in high school?

Here's the song that defined the Femmes for me.

19. HenryAdams

HenryAdams Member

Also, relistening to that track...I LOVE Gordon's weird, dissonant chordal solos. Sun Ra lives.

20. mikendzel

mikendzel Gold Supporting Member

My old band The Licks opened up for them at Salisbury University in 1998, and the crew told us that the Femmes wanted us to stop playing and cut our electricity in the middle of a song. We were in the middle of rocking out a couple hundred people, right next to the main stage.

Was he in the band then? I always wanted to know what the hell that was all about.