Rocksmith or something else?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by rschultz13, Apr 13, 2015.

1. rschultz13

rschultz13 Supporting Member

A friend of mine was raving over Rocksmith today... he's also a self-proclaimed tone def non-musician. But a smart guy nonetheless, and said it's a blast.

I, on the other hand, am 41 and have been playing guitar for 15 years. Mainly acoustic, but also a lot of electric lately. I'm a gear head and love meddling with pedals and amps as much as I love playing music. Anyway, while I'm not a great player, I'm also not a beginner. My head knowledge is a lot more than my skills. I'd like to improve my chops and am wondering if Rocksmith or something like that could help me.

What do you think?

2. wcfields

wcfields Member

I have Bandfuse. It's better than Rocksmith IMO...

3. JonR

JonR Member

4. thecornman

thecornman Member

For how long you have been playing your ears must be good enough to learn songs just using them so I don't see much merit in the game when you could just put any song on and jam along with it! If your ears are not at the point where you can use them to learn songs then I would suggest spending the time to train them so they are.

5. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

I hated it.. maybe 2 is better?

6. rschultz13

rschultz13 Supporting Member

My ears are good, and I know what I want to play in my head. I understand theory well enough to know where I'm at in the scale or chord progression. But my playing is slow, I'd like to learn how to do faster runs and fills, branching out from the pentatonic shapes to more interesting stuff. I just need a little help with this hurdle.

7. aussie_owner

aussie_owner Member

Rocksmith has some nice features that would probably help, notably Session Mode. In Session Mode, you can either choose a band from various genres, or create your own custom band. Choose the scale, mode, key, rhythm, tempo, changes, etc. and just jam.

Another nice feature is Riff Repeater. This allows you to work on any part of a song, at any speed or difficulty level you like. Very useful for learning tricky changes or complex leads.

I'm a big fan of Rocksmith. I'm also taking lessons, and I find that I can use RS to practice a lot of what I'm learning, especially soloing.

Edit: And, as your friend said, RS is a blast. Sometimes you just want to have fun playing, and RS is definitely fun.

8. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

It is a very usable program. You can use it to learn, or to practice.

If you do Custom DLC, you can do a setlist of your favorite songs and play them back to back as if you were gigging.

It is but one in a set of possible tools to help learn, and enjoy guitar.

Also for me it opened my horizons to different artists that I'd never been exposed to.