Rocksmith users megathread

There are several RS threads, but they're either asking if anyone is using it, or bashing it.

So, here's a new one to talk about your development via RS, or any tips.

I got a handy little pedal for using with RS today, a pitch shifter.

I was able to play E, Eb, and D songs w/o re-tuning my guitar. It's pretty handy.

I also intend on using it to tune up my C# Floyd Rose guitar, for when I need 24 frets on songs in higher tunings.

Here is my Bigshot ABY for splitting the signal to my amp as well as RS.

I tried using a Y splitter, which is ok for PC use, but with my PS4 I need the isolation transformer & ground lift, otherwise it is pretty noisy at my amp.

Last edited:

frankg11

1100 hours on RS here. The Radial pedals are a must. you need a ground lift to make RS work with an external amp. I only play with an external amp and my pedal board to get close to the song sounds. Also -- big hint -- if you want to sound good don't use the in-game modeling, it hides mistakes really well. Turn the guitar volume to zero in the game and use your gear.

I will watch the thread and help where I can. been playing this game almost every night. Great way for me to learn new songs. Oh and wait till you get good enough on a song and they take away the note highway. No more sight reading, you will really figure out if you have the song nailed.

fishruss

There are several RS threads, but they're either asking if anyone is using it, or bashing it.

So, here's a new one to talk about your development via RS, or any tips.

I got a handy little pedal for using with RS today, a pitch shifter.

I was able to play E, Eb, and D songs w/o re-tuning my guitar. It's pretty handy.

I also intend on using it to tune up my C# Floyd Rose guitar, for when I need 24 frets on songs in higher tunings.

Here is my Bigshot ABY for splitting the signal to my amp as well as RS.

I tried using a Y splitter, which is ok for PC use, but with my PS4 I need the isolation transformer & ground lift, otherwise it is pretty noisy at my amp.
I never thought about trying a pitch shifting pedal before with RS. Thanks! Been playing 2014 since it came out. Pretty much buy any DLC they put out and have been pleasently surprised by some songs/bands I never cared for actually being fun to play.
It is a pretty quick way to learn songs, although as mentioned they do cover up your mistakes quite well!
I like using it in conjuction with youtube vids and tab sites. Its also really helped me with some scales I have never bothered with before.

Favorite pack so far- Slayer
Song most played- Man in the Box. Love that solo!

frankg11

i have a couple guitars that are fixed bridge. Easy to change tunings.

I also have some float trem guitars... takes a bit more time but it can be done.

So the solution is many guitars in different tunings.. LOL (GAS TIME)

fishruss

Yep, I enjoy the Twitch stream as well. Great prizes, especially Christmas show. I like watching guitar Jesus's stuff. That Cliffs of Dover bit. Wow!

Also, how about Customsforge.com (not on Rocksmith's forum, so there!)? I usually play on my PS3. Unfortunately, my PC has too much lag no matter how much I have adjusted it. Still works pretty good for Riff Repeater stuff slowed down a bit.

Everything that has come out on the official game site that I already have on customsforge site that I liked I have purchased anyway.

I know there is plenty of hate for this game, but it has gotten the rest of my family (8yr old, 3 yr old) interested in guitars which cant be a bad thing! My 8 year old got a bass from santa last year because he has had so much fun with the emulated bass (especially Kiss stuff). He unplugs from the game and plays lots of stuff through his amp. Thats pretty cool I think. We plug in a USB mic for the 3 year old to sing along too. Sorry- kinda long.

JPIndustrie

Silver Supporting Member
I've always wanted to try this game but always forgot to pick it up... I'm going to try get myself a copy/cable and get into this.

Renard

Just bought it, and I really am enjoying it so far! Ive been playing for a decade now, but rocksmith really helps to just sit down and learn songs.

Thanks for mentioning custom forge - I didnt know about it, and now Im in heaven!

sundog964

Silver Supporting Member
I find it helpful when wanting to play "with the band" for just an hour at the house. Don't have to get a group together.

etheran

Seems like a cool piece of software, but I think there's more value in learning by ear and kind of experimenting on my own. Might be good if you need to learn a bunch of songs for a gig really fast, though!

aussie_owner

Gold Supporting Member
I finally checked out the Custom Forge web site, and downloaded at least a couple dozen songs. (Probably more like 3 or 4 dozen.) Been working on learning "Let's Dance", always loved the guitar in that song.

stinkfinger

Love RS2014... I play at least an hour a day.

Question for the OP:
When you started this thread you had just gotten the pitch shifter pedal. Now, a month on, do you find it works as well as you had hoped?

It does work, but unfortunately it doesn't shift up/down 3 semi-tones, which was my goal. So, a big DOH! on that one for not understanding the specs when I ordered it.
I haven't used it nearly as much as I thought I would, but that's because I still have my BC Rich tuned to C#, as well as a Fender bass.
I'm working on selling the bass though, as it's kind of redundant next to my G&L.

The main reason I got the pedal was to accommodate downsizing, which I have accomplished in some part.
I recently got a mint G&L Custom Shop Comanche & if I didn't have that pitch shifter, I probably would have kept my Mexican Stratocaster. Instead of tuning the Strat to Eb or D, I just sold it.
Mexican Strats are figuratively a dime a dozen anyway, but my Fender bass is kind of special.

My advice about the drop pedal is to get a DigiTech "The Drop" pedal and tune all your guitars to E, and then the only change you'll need to make is from E to Drop D.

aussie_owner

Gold Supporting Member
I set up Rocksmith so I could play guitar through my new DT25/HD500 rig. I ran my guitar signal into my JamMan Stereo looper, then took one output to the EQ/boost pedal I use for RS and the other to the Pod HD500. I started the game, then set Player 1 volume to zero on the mixer. So, now I can hear myself much better, no more ear-splitting high gain tones, and I can hit record on the looper and playback my isolated guitar track.

Working on some basic patches for typical blues/rock tones. Not as concerned with how it sounds as much as hearing how I'm playing. Those crazy tones cover up a lot of mistakes.

frankg11

So I wonder if Audrey's dad found a hack to help her along. I am sceptical and have watched the videos.

Do you think Eric would get 100% on Cliffs of Dover on RS the first day he started playing it on Rocksmith.

That reminds me. I remember a Gene SImmon's show in an episode where his son and friends were playing Kiss songs on RockBand. Gene and Tommy totally blew it. Here is the link.

I thought it was very funny.

BTW -- I like the changes they made.

I saw a video where Audrey does a song live on Japanese television, so I don't think there is a hack.
It's just that our kids are dumbed down, in comparison to Japanese kids.

fishruss

Really like the new update. Riff repeater is so much better. I also like the easier navigation between rhythm, lead, and bass. Nice to have the alternate tracks easier to find.

Moe45673

Hey, necro-ing this thread because it is relevant to me.

So I just got Rocksmith 2014 as it was on sale. I don't have the Ubisoft cable but I found a nocable exe that allows me to use my audio interface and it works flawlessly (I choose the Ubisoft cable in the game's settings screen).

I'm finding it fun, even if I'm just trying to get used to it playing Blitzkrieg Bop. I've read a few things about adjusting the settings, such as inverting the strings on the note highway so the Low E is at the bottom, like most tabs have it. For us veteran guitarists, this is the way to go.

I'm excited to play around with it. Not necessarily learning songs, but going through the Session jam mode and other tools they provide you with. I love that they include gear modelling that is fully tweakable for us gearheads. I love how many of the settings are designed for guitarists of all skill levels to really tweak the experience for however you want it.

Here's something I recently noticed about myself. I've been playing with tabs, including midi tabs, forever but I always felt like I was hitting a ceiling. Anyhow, I committed myself to laying down a guitar solo on a cover, 155 bpms. How did I progress further than I ever had in less than a day of practising? I stuck the original recording in my DAW and slowed it down to 1/2 speed. There's something about hearing the nuances of the original performer that really helped it sink into my brain, which it then easily communicates to my fingers. In a couple of hours, I went from 50% of the original speed to 85% and I can't wait to go home tonight and nail that last 15%!

Trending Topics