Rocktron is "back" and going absolutely crazy!

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by snowwind, May 9, 2019.

1. iam_krash

iam_krash Supporting Member

Bottom line is that the Rocktron pre-amps required a bit of smarts and experience to program. However, you were rewarded with knowledge on how pre and post eq worked, how how to dial in "your" tone. Thanks to Axe and Line 6 preamps have been "dumbed down" to the lowest common denominator of downloading shared presets on line. No skill, no ear, no effort, no work, no brains involved. Just sheeple following the heard. Adding or subtracting gain or effects is the extent of people's "programming" today...lol

2. Slicklickz

Slicklickz Member

I knew almost nothing about using parametric EQ before gain stages until I bought my first Rocktron preamp.Their preamp philosophy was basically the opposite of modeling.Instead of having "models" of other amps with fixed Eq points and gain stages they were basically an open slate with variable center frequncies,and active cut/boost vs passive cut only eq.This confuses many people because they have no idea where to start.It taught me the value of cutting ahead of gain stages and boosting after,as well as boosting before and cutting after.It forced me to develope an ear for EQ settings.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    iam_krash likes this.
  3. iam_krash

EXACTLY! You LEARNED the effects of pre and post eq and how one effected the other and how to dial in YOUR tone! Unfortunately, unless it's done for them, most Axe and Helix have zero clue how to dial in tone, unless 99% to is done for them.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    Slicklickz likes this.
  4. Elric

Elric Supporting Member

Yes, I’ve always felt that pure conjecture is the most persuasive form of argument.

5. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

Now come on!!! :roll:stir

6. FPFL

FPFL Member

Don't feed the trolls.

7. mbenigni

mbenigni Member

8. JiveTurkey

Ewww, Rocktron.

JerEvil likes this.
  9. iam_krash

Not conjecture, just my personal experience...YMMV

10. iam_krash

JT, come on! Every time I go over to the Axe or Helix forums, it's more about preset sharing and who has a pre-set for this plexi or a preset for this fender.
    My point is, no ability/drive to figure out HOW to dial it in on your own. YMMV

11. mbenigni

mbenigni Member

I think you're cherry-picking a little here. I can swing a dead (virtual) cat and hit 1000 posts that say, "Presets suck; I've never used one; always roll my own." (And I'm in that camp, for whatever it's worth.)

Now, if any given amp model doesn't require a whole lot of pre- or post-EQ... well, that's just that particular amp model not sucking.

12. JiveTurkey

I never go to those forums. Well; mayyyyyyybe the Axe forum from time to time. If someone can't dial in a killer tone on the Axe; um; well; um...yeah I feel for them.

iam_krash and mbenigni like this.
  13. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

Such a perfect TGP quote... As if your personal opinion is anything but conjecture... The plural of anecdote isn't data.

[​IMG]

14. cliffc8488

cliffc8488 Member

I agree that it's valuable to learn the importance of pre and post EQ. However the average guitar player doesn't want to be bothered with that. They want someone else to figure out the best pre/post EQ. That's why there are so many different kinds of amps. It has nothing to do with modeling. It's a general amp voicing philosophy.

There was an amp years ago that had two graphic EQs. One pre and one post. I thought it was a great idea. It was a commercial flop.

Leon Todd and iam_krash like this.
  15. Elric

Elric Supporting Member

It's a shame we can't use pre and post distortion EQs with the AxeFx, Cliff. You should add a few EQ blocks.

And if you really want to stop spoon feeding us, you should add some deep editing parameters too that go beyond simple EQ stages.

Until then, us folks that really like to tweak will have to suffer with old analog preamps that sound like a**, like the Rocktron units until there is a truly flexible digital solution. :rolleyes:

iam_krash and Cool Hand Luke like this.
  16. OPENYOUREYES

OPENYOUREYES Member

All these companies are jumpiing on the $1k train for digital stuff-its sad.

17. snowwind

snowwind Member

I think that time will soon be over...
    With HX-Stomp, Hotone Ampero or HR-Gigboard we get more and more pro quality for half the price.

18. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

Well, I think there's parts of the technology driven market where things are getting less expensive. Generally, the component-level stuff gives you a lot more bang for you buck over time. A processor selling for about the same price as one ten years is a lot more powerful. Hardware costs, on the other hand, have actually increased over the years. Overseas labor hasn't gotten less expensive - it's actually gotten more expensive, and it probably will continue to do so. I don't think it's a matter of companies being greedy. I think it just reflects the realities of the market. The choice isn't between making a flagship device for $500 or one for $1000... It's been making not doing anything and making one for $1000. Obviously, there's a lot of room in between there for more limited devices, but I think the days of getting something like the HD500X or GT-100 for $500 are over.

Elric likes this.
  19. OPENYOUREYES

OPENYOUREYES Member

yea whatever- in the end the real voting is with the wallet anyhow.

20. Dave Merrill

Dave Merrill Supporting Member

That's wonderful Phil, kudos :)