Rocktron is "back" and going absolutely crazy!

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by snowwind, May 9, 2019.

1. handyman

handyman Member

2. johnrea_77

johnrea_77 Silver Supporting Member

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  3. WILLIEKENDRICK

WILLIEKENDRICK Supporting Member

I've had a ton of Rocktron gear over the years and absolutely love the Chameleon & Voodu Valve models. Still a great unit in many respects, but simply not up to date with today's technology. Not really sure why this is being reissued at such a high price..strange.

4. snowwind

snowwind Member

...because they changed the black faceplate to a limited red one! [​IMG]

WILLIEKENDRICK likes this.
  5. BCy2k

BCy2k Member

I see a lot of comments basically saying that the VooDu-Valve isn't "up to date" anymore. Fair enough. It's been around a while. So instead you use a modeler to get a clean, crunch, and lead sound with a few effects. Because THAT'S what we consider up to date ... a digital device replicating mostly older analog devices ... LOL ... as if a VooDu-Valve couldn't already do exactly that (except with a 12ax7) in 1991 ... really? It's definitely still up to date, it's just not as trendy & popular as modeler's are ... but @ $1299 ... it's not so much out of date as it is out of touch ... they'd do considerably better if that "1" in the price were a typo.

Slicklickz likes this.
  6. Leon Todd

Leon Todd Member

The Rockmaster and 60/60 is a nice alternative to a 5150. Crazy amounts of gain and the active EQ let's you sculpt out just about any tone you like. Great cleans too.

If you see one cheap, grab it. IMO it's in a class of it's own.

mbenigni and snowwind like this.
  7. FPFL

FPFL Member

Nice rig!

Was the Piranha really a thing in the 80's?

I don't remember seeing them until what seems like the early to middle 90s and I was in guitar shops in Boston and NYC that had rack stuff aplenty.
    I bought my very first expensive piece of gear, a Rocktron Chameleon, at Daddy's Junky in Boston. Largely b/c the chorus, reverb and the delay were NEXT LEVEL good, crushingly so compared to the pedals I'd had.

I went right from a Crate 2x8 combo (my first amp) to a Rocktron feeding a stereo power amp and an Ampeg stereo 2x12. It was a big jump for me. My first gig setup and I used it all thru college and a bit beyond. I got tired of the menu and jumped ship for a POD and then a DSL...

-P

Slicklickz likes this.
  8. hendrix1406

hendrix1406 Member

i have owned the original voodu valve (first edition-made in usa),bought it 12 years ago on ebay auction for 300$. at the same time i also have owned -
    mp-1,triaxis and carvin quad x.
    the triaxis was several leagues above all of them,the voodu valve was nice preamp but very "digital" sounding,it has nice high-gain lead solo sound,but hasn't sound as good on other departments (clean,overdrive,ect.),never felt like the 1 tube they placed there was affecting anything to sound less digital..
    i haven't seen what have they change in the new "ltd" device ,but if it's the same one with only red plate difference, i would never pay for it 1300$, especially if i can buy a second hand unpowered kemper for about the same price
    (which i own today). if you have desire for this specific device, you can just
    buy a second hand for much less.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rocktron-V...029656?hash=item2acb83a898:g:wsEAAOSwcOtchW26

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    I AM MEDUSA likes this.
  9. GT40

GT40 Member

10. DIECHEATO

DIECHEATO Member

I like to see the Quadroverb out again, at an affordable price.

doghouseman likes this.
  11. JoeInOttawa

JoeInOttawa Member

All true. But, again, the only online retailer they mention in the 'states has it on for $750. Still seems a bit pricey, but it's not $1300.

http://www.macdaddymusicstore.com/p...TD-Tube-Guitar-Preamp-&-DSP-Effects-Processor

12. BCy2k

BCy2k Member

Yes, it's had a 'new' street price @ $750-ish forever it seems. That's what it was going for when I bought an 'as new' used one for $225. The re-issue or whatever this is, the "LTD," has a list price of $1299. Which makes the street price seem better, but seriously, anyone who does their homework is going to pass, or buy used. They come up used a lot too.

13. fusionid

fusionid Supporting Member

I owned 2 voodu valves back in the day after the first one got stolen. I tweaked it a lot and played gigs with it as well so I can tell you that it is very outdated. Most people think that the tube is used for overdrive but that is not the case. The tube is simply a buffer. I swapped tubes in mine for a higher gain and did like the difference because it was essentially like modifying a buffer. NOT a huge difference. Think of a dod bifet or a similar buffer in line.

Anyways, everyone should watch this video before you consider buying one,

14. OPENYOUREYES

OPENYOUREYES Member

ROCKTRON is jumping on the " we can get over 1k for our modeler too" bandwagon. :facepalm:horse (COULDNT FIND AN EMOJI FOR "WHAT A JOKE")
    I mean seriously what are they thinking??? Reminds me of yamaha and the thr100hd destined for the 399.99 blowout
    Any company releasing this price point unit with that gui display should be embarrassed and ashamed of themselves.

15. Steve Collins

Steve Collins Supporting Member

Every where I see its $799.99 not $1200.00.

Elric likes this.
  16. snowwind

snowwind Member

Here in Germany (big T) 1299,-€!

17. mertay

mertay Member

I think Laney nailed the modern concept for these rack systems, not only usb but internally dummy load too when needed. Even the small one sounds pretty good;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Elric

Elric Supporting Member

For those ragging here. Not sure who posted it or where folks are getting the idea that this thing is streeting for $1200+ But if you take about twelve seconds to go to their www site and click ‘buy it now’. In the US, this thing is going for a saner $750.

You can complain about the interface or call rack preamps dead. But AFAIK, the VV has been available for years at this price point so I assume it is serving some niche during that time (sans red face plate). Making this thread feel like much ado about nothing.

mbenigni likes this.
  19. Sustainerplayer

Sustainerplayer Member

Well - in the EU it sells for 1.333 € which puts it slightly above a Helix (@ 1.322 €)

https://www.thomann.de/dk/rocktron_voodu_valve_ltd.htm

https://www.thomann.de/dk/line6_helix_guitar_processor.htm

So maybe it is geographical thing ... ;)

20. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

I do love my rocktron surf tremelo

iam_krash likes this.