Rocktron Patchmate Loop8 Floor agnoy: it can't change presets directly!?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MikeSelmer, Dec 23, 2009.

1. MikeSelmer

MikeSelmer Member

Hi all!

I am in serious agony, so please, if you have this unit or a similar controller, help a Christmas elf with some info.

I just purchased a new Rocktron Patchmate Loop 8 Floor unit, so that I could switch between various pedal configurations with a single step (with the pedals sitting in the 8 loops of the unit). I got the unit yesterday, and it seems the unit CANNOT change directly between pre-assigned loop configurations! The problem is that the unit's default setting is that it is in LOOP MODE, where it works as a normal looper. Unless I'm mistaken (or cannot use the unit correctly), everytime when I want to use a preset (with a preset loop configuration) I need to separately access PRESET MODE by stepping on a footswitch that says 'preset'. After this I can step on the 1-8 footswitches of the unit and access the preset assigned to that footswitch. What is more, when I have chosen the preset, the unit immediately goes back to loop mode, and I cannot dial in another preset without stepping on 'preset mode' switch first. This means TWO footsteps every time I want to change from a preset to another (one to access preset mode and the other to call in a preset)! Can this be right? Very frustrating and disappointing! Am I doing this right?

I do not want to have to buy an external controller to change directly between presets! Hvae you got any ideas on how to work this problem? What am I doing wrong? Or do I just have to accept that this unit is not for me? :-(

And finally, why would any manufacturer want to make a floor unit like this? What good is a floor unit/loop switcher like this? It's supposed to help things...

Cheers,
    MIKKO

. After this

2. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

Sounds like it is a config on the footswitch you are using. What are you controlling the patchmate with?

edit: :headslap I missed the loop "floor" word. I presumed loop 8 rack unit.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  3. MikeSelmer

MikeSelmer Member

Well, that's the point exactly - I'm not using any other unit to control the Patchmate. I thought I could control it with its own switches. I thought it was Rocktron's point in making a pedalboard version of the patchmate - so you could operate everything with your feet on it...

I quess I'll need to see if I can live with always having to press twice when I change between presets within songs...

MIKKO

4. 3nines

3nines Member

I ordered one too and noticed that in the manual tho I haven't set it up yet.
    I emailed Rocktron to see if there's a way to keep it in Preset mode but haven't had a reply yet. It doesn't seem to make sense to have to step twice to make a change. I'll let you know if I get a reply. Mine's going back if you can't.

5. Cap'nMayhem

Cap'nMayhem Member

I was looking at that same unit and read this in the manual. It didn't look like you can change the default mode. I was planning on getting 2 and setting them up for 16 total presets and was quite bummed to find out about the 2 button press issue. Now it looks as if I would need a separate controller to do what I want. That's gonna take longer to get the setup I want.

6. MikeSelmer

MikeSelmer Member

Well, get ready to send it back. I got a reply from Rocktron to this very question and they confirmed that you always need to step twice to move from a preset to another. And I agree with what you said: it really makes no sense to release this unit if you have to step twice.

I quess the Ultimate Pedalboard v23 that I was planning to design and put together this Christmas will not be so ultimate, after all. V24 is going to have a Providence PEC-2 or similar to control everything.

7. BurnoutBright

BurnoutBright Member

This is a bummer, I was just researching this unit.

8. Jimmy_Rage

Jimmy_Rage Member

This is really sad and disturbing. Its almost as if Rocktron has conned people into buying their product by not mentioning the fact that you need to press two switches to access a single patch explicitly in the descriptions of the product that are available on the internet. Their callous decision not to provide clear documentation of the product's capabilities on their website or anywhere else seems to give credence to that theory.
    What I understood when reading descriptions of this product on ebay seller pages was that it functioned similar to the Carl Martin Octaswitch, as in one click to access a patch. And that you only needed to add a midi footswitch if you wanted to access more than 8 patches. If this is not the case, it's totally unacceptable and seems like a cheap attempt to get people to buy two products when they thought they only needed to buy one.
    I'm going to update the pedal switcher shoot-out with this information. Really sorry to hear about these experiences over here, I hope you guys figure out an appropriate course of action.

- Jimmy Rage

9. 3nines

3nines Member

I think we're on the same page, Mike. What was Rocktron's explanation?

10. MikeSelmer

MikeSelmer Member

No explanation. Just a verification that two steps are needed.

But I need to stress: Rocktron's customer service has been excellent in the past month. I've sent them some 8-10 emails with questions about the Patchmate and they always replied within hours (sometimes minutes). However, not in one email did they mention that I need to step twice, which is somewhat odd as there were many topics discussed which close to the switching.

11. eio

eio Member

Just thought I'd add this.
    Rocktron is in the process of correcting the issue.

Here is an email reply from them today:

"I have the first one to operate like this on my desk. They added a preset mode in which you set a bit in the set up section included on the CONTROLLER page.

But the relays are still hard wired to the LED's so when you select one of the 8 presets the unit will recall the preset but show any of the loops that are ON within that preset you must remember which preset you had selected.

12. Cap'nMayhem

Cap'nMayhem Member

With only 8 presets accessible without another controller that shouldn't be too hard to do. A bit of a pain in the ass but worth putting up with if in all other areas it is a good product. Of course they should fix that issue on future models. Thanx for posting that update. a lot of guys wouldn't have.

13. 3nines

3nines Member

Anything more on this? I tried emailing Rocktron but haven't got a response. Retrofittable to earlier units, perhaps?:dunno

14. TP Parter

TP Parter Member

I don't see it as that big of an issue. It goes to loop mode, so you can switch individual pedals in and out on the fly. When you are getting ready to need a preset change just prime it by hitting preset, and then bam, you're back in loop mode with control of individual loops. I see what you're saying, but knowing that you should have went midi. It's why I'm gonna go with the rack unit, my old midi footboard, and an Axess CFX-4 to handle amp functions. Plus I'll gain it's two continuous controller pedals for switching multiple loops in/out within a preset.

If the damn GCP wasn't so expensive I'd go with the DMC/Voodoo option, but my midi board won't work with the GCX apparently. :bitch

15. Cap'nMayhem

Cap'nMayhem Member

I see what you're saying but if you happen to sing in the band as well, then 2 switches is 1 too many. I don't want to add a rack cause I tweak knobs on the fly with my feet and space beside my amp and next to the drummer is often limited.

16. 3nines

3nines Member

Little update on this unit:
    Rocktron does indeed have V2.0 software for these units that allow 1 step preset switching and it is retrofittable to previous versions. After some initial frustration in communication with their tech support they put me in touch with the engineer (Bob Pascoe) who wrote the update, who walked me thru the update process. Although we had some problems during the process, the engineer's willingness to go above and beyond to solve the issues stood out and Rocktron is backing their product.

17. LoveRock

LoveRock Member

Exactly how do you apply the update to the unit (i.e. via what connections).

18. 3nines

3nines Member

It's a Flash update so you have to connect your unit to your PC with a midi interface and they email you a utility to download. There were some glitches doing mine so they are exchanging units. If you are in the US I think they would prefer you send yours in and they update it.

19. Scoeb City

Scoeb City Member

did you get the new unit? is it working properly now??

20. Cap'nMayhem

Cap'nMayhem Member

I was curious as to how everything went as well.