Rocktron Rack effect users...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by docgorpon, Mar 30, 2008.

1. docgorpon

docgorpon Member

So I'm finally going to ditch my pedals and go rack. I just can't seem to make pedals work for what I want in any kind of uncomplicated way.
    I'm looking at the Rocktron Replifex or Xpression. Here are my questions:

1. I'm playing metal with a very, very high gain amp. The gain is turned up so much that the noise is unbelievable. I bought a Rocktron Hush Super C. It took care of the problem. The Rocktron units I mentioned supposedly also have the Hush built into them. So does this mean I can ditch the dedicated Hush unit?

2. I'm using this to boost leads, mainly. Can I do this effectively with these units?

2. movingpictures

movingpictures Supporting Member

Ive had both the Xpression and Intellifex, and the Intellifex wins hands down. The hush in the Intellifex is just ok. Its not meant to be a gate, but still reduces some noise. Probobly tha same as your super c. I would also suggest the Rocktron Guitar silencer rack unit. I dont know if its still in production, but its a combo of a gate, and hush units in one rack space.
    Worked great in my rack rig.
    You can find the Intellifex on ebay for around $150

3. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Why ditch the pedals? Use both. I've owned the Intellifex and the Replifex, they are both ok units but they have the same short comings of their own as well as pedals. No one effects method is the 100% solution. Use pedals in front and rack stuff in the loop.

4. docgorpon

docgorpon Member

I only need a bare minimum of effects. I simply need something for leads. I'm trying to keep my rig as simple as possible. I would like to use the pedals instead, but I can't seem to make them work in my setup, unfortunately.

5. indytruckboy

indytruckboy Member

6. tone4days

tone4days Member

i had a rack with a rocktron PRO GAP in series with an Intellifex for years ... the hush units built into them were flawless ... i used the midimate to control it and an ernie ball volume pedal set up with a TRS cable as continuous MIDI controller for volume on the output of the intellifex

7. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

I've used the Intellifex, Replifex, and Patch Mate for years, but have also augmented the noise gating with the Hush rack unit. The Hush unit worked much better, in my opinion, than either of the multi-effects units' Hush circuits, which I only used in very, very noisy presets.

- Thom

8. Ray Gianelli

Ray Gianelli Member

I've used both the Intellifex and the Replifex. The Hush is good but when set to extreme settings seems to compress the signal a bit. Also the Hush setting needs to be set to Post to stop all the noise.

The Intellifex is more "hi-fi" sounding, due no doubt to it's 20-20khz range. The range of the Replifex is 20-16k. The Replifex is supposed to have more of a stomp box sound/feel to it. The Replifex will also switch your amp, providing your amp pedal is TRS.

9. indytruckboy

indytruckboy Member

So I picked up a Xpression. Looking for a foot controller to switch patches. And I have no idea what to get. That's all I need it to do. I want to push one button for patch switch. Maximum of 5 patches, but more than likely I will only need 3. What do you recommend?

Small footprint and price are considerations but they can easily be overlooked I suppose.

10. Ray Gianelli

Ray Gianelli Member

For a simple task like that just about anything will work. I use an old ART X-11 I picked up used for $45. Small footprint, 5 patched per bank. Does the job.

11. nitefly7

nitefly7 Member

IMHO, a 2/3 channel amp with the Replifex would supply you with about everything you could possibly need: compression, chorus, flanger, phaser, pitch (whammy and really nice detune), tremolo, delay (stereo and dual independent ones..), decent reverb

Pair it with a MIDI mate, and you'll be really really satisfied..

that being said: I do like my drive and wah pedals, in front of the amp..

My setup is a Musicom EFX mkII with a Phase90 (phase pre-amp, and in fx-loop differ in subtlety; preamp = funkier IMHO, Fx-loop = subtle), a SHO-boost, MI Tube Zone, T-Rex Replica and a Boss GE-7 + Modded crybaby 535q..
    The Musicom controls my Replifex + channel switching Koch Studiotone via MIDI..
    I've got a 'small big pedalboard' (28x15) which holds the Musicom, wah, 5 pedals + expression pedal, allowing me to go from squeaky clean to 'saturated' metal..

If you're satisfied with the amp's channels, you could fatten 'em up with compression and eq..
    The HUSH circuit is pretty effective, especially for fx-loop use..
    Also, the 'direct signal'-mix ration in most Rocktrons, allow you to keep your original signal intact, which makes for a better 'in your face sound' and keeps the 'processed tone'-problems to a minimum..

At the moment, I'm trying to get a Replifx + Koch setup only, switching the Rocktron + Koch's channels with a simple Rocktron Midi XChange pedal...

12. akivisuals

akivisuals Member

That's an interesting set-up and something that I've been considering myself. I also have an Intellifex and Replifex but haven't used them in years. I have a pedalboard with the MusicomLab and 3 OD/Dist pedals and some chorus/delay/vibe/comp. But I was thinking of adding an effects loop to my next amp and running the Replifex in the loop while taking the time based stuff off my pedalboard. Does the Musicom do a good job running the Replifex? Can you control the tap tempo on it from the Musicom? I was thinking of using the Axess Electronics CFX to control the amp switching functions.

13. indytruckboy

indytruckboy Member

anybody use a midi moose?