Rocktron Xpression vs Digitech GSP1101 for fx only??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by wyldesigns, Jun 1, 2008.

1. wyldesigns

wyldesigns Member

I know the GSP1101 is supposed to have some nice sounding preamp models, but I'm not that interrested in that (altough it may come in handy for practice and pre-production recordings)

I'm looking to get a unit for fx, to use with a Splawn Quickrod.
    Mostly CHORUS - TREMOLO - DELAY - REVERB...

2. wyldesigns

wyldesigns Member

3. indytruckboy

indytruckboy Member

bumping for interest.

surely someone has tried a Digi

4. wyldesigns

wyldesigns Member

You would think so...
    I can't try it out because the shop that carries Digitech is to far from me...

5. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

I haven't played the GSP 1101, but I reviewed the RP350 in the 1st issue of FrugalGuitarist.com which is based on the same technology (the GSP1101 being much more powerful). Fom an effects standpoint, the tones were excellent. Their models of effects were for the most part spot on and really captured the different character of each pedal. A couple things that really stuck out werer the TS9 model which held it's own against a 90's reissue, the EH Small Stone, the Whammy (of course), and the Echoplex which you can program to self oscilitate into feedback...super cool.

The only concern I had was the fairly poor pitch shifter and extremely limited interface (taken care off by the new RP500 and wouldn't be a concern using the GSP1101 with a midi controler).

6. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I found the effects to be lifeless and uninspiring, as well as being limited to one modulation effect at a time. the amp/distortion pedal models are where this thing shines. The "lexicon" reverbs were really disappointing and couldn't hang with my Nova Reverb.

7. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

I don't really think the effects are lifeless and uninspiring, just basically meat n' potatoes effects. They trimmed down the menus and editing capabilities from the 2112 series to make it more user friendly, and I think it performs well.

I get compliments on my tone at almost every gig I play and the consensus if usually, "I can't beileve you are getting that tone out of a processor!" I am gigging 3-4 nights a week with a 1101 and 2 112 Tech 21 Power Engines. I NEVER thought I would be playing out without tubes using only a modeler, but it's pretty rad.

I agree that the preamps and stomp models are freakin' awesome, considering it costs about what a few of the boutique TS-knockoffs go for around here...

I do like the fact that you can totally bypass the preamps using the setup wizard. In that mode, it can be run as an effects only unit.

rock on,

8. wyldesigns

wyldesigns Member

9. oddjobpeters

oddjobpeters Member

I own the GSP1101. I initially bought it for exactly what you are looking for - effects. It has all the standard effects I like in the form of emulations. I wanted to replace my board and simplify my setup, sell off some pedals, get new effects I wanted without buying more pedals. IMO, the GSP is perfect for that. All my pedals are perfectly emulated and with my actual pedals out and this thing in the loop, my setup sounds better since I didn't have tone-sucking due to my pedals and long cable runs.

What I did not expect was a far more useful machine. Great distortion pedal models to put in front of your amp. Great pre-amp models when you need a sound you can't get from your own pre-amp. All the routing options you need - as simple or as complex as you want. Want only stomp models? okay. Want to use your pre-amp in one patch and then a GSP pre-amp model in the next patch? no problem. Want to use only effects? Sure thing. Your amp dies and you want need run straight into the board? Go ahead - it will sound very decent (some people only use it that way).

It all sounds excellent, I mean, really excellent. Be aware that it does have some issues (some people get ground loop problems, there is no tap-tempo without the dedicated controller or other hardware, poor noise-gate placement, etc). Go to the Digitech Community site and read up. Some complaints are being addressed in an upcoming firware update.

For what it's worth, I like the programmability and quality of the pre-amps. I do covers and need programmability more than anything at the moment. I bypass my own pre-amp and run the GSP right into my power amp. One patch for every song. Everything is consistent - I have the right pre-amp model, effects, EQ, volume levels, all at the press of a button for each song. I have the dedicated controller they sell for it and have full control like my old pedalboard. No worries, great sound. I always get compliments from my band-mates on my sound. Does it sound AS good as running pure into a good tube amp with nothing else? Probably not. But nobody seems to really notice (or care).