Rocky Athas

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by mifar55, Jan 21, 2012.

1. mifar55

mifar55 Supporting Member

Killer guitar player, killer group.

2. Papple

Papple Supporting Member

That's John Mayall's latest guitar player if I'm not mistaken. Another great player in a long list of Awesome Guitar Slingers.

Best,
    P

3. BBSuggs

BBSuggs Gold Supporting Member

Caught his gig a few times in the early eighties at the Airmen's club at Sheppard AFB in Wichita Falls. The band was Lightning, if I recall correctly. I vaguely remember him playing a Les Paul through a Lab Series L5.

Fine player with a cool harmonic tapping technique that he seems to use sparingly any more. As a more mature player myself, I don't watch his chops in awe anymore, but I like the way he plays.

4. cwf

cwf Member

Remember seeing Rocky and his band Lightning at Sneaky Pete's in Dallas back in the 80's. I believe he grew up in the Oak Cliff area of Dallas and was buddies with Stevie Ray Vaughn. He was one of those guys who could cover anyone but always had his own cool style. Rocky's chops have gotten better with age.

5. mastercaster

mastercaster Member

Memories of my earlier club going days. Mother Blues in the mid 70's.

6. Brooks

Brooks Member

i used to work w/ one of lightnings latter drummers in the mid 80's, saw them a bunch at a biker bar down on harry hines in dallas, as well as matleys phase II on audelia. rocky is a good player and a nice guy.

7. Ampegasaur

Ampegasaur Silver Supporting Member

Really close friends with his son, Rocky Athas, and have been for many years. Great bass player. Both of them are good guys, and some serious skills. Never a dull moment with Jr....He is quite a character.

8. Fenderesq

Fenderesq Member

In '08 I bought a strat on eBay---turns out it was Rocky selling it---killer guitar and he couldn't have been cooler---I bombarded him with all sorts of questions in an email to the point where he could've easily blown it off, instead, he thanked me for the interest and went on to answer every single one and even mentioned things I hadn't asked about---one of the things he mentioned was that in high school, one of SRV's favorite guitar players was Todd Rundgren, which never would've guessed.

Prince of a guy, killer player with monstrous tone---I keep Miracle in regular rotation---love that record.

Thanks for the Strat; early '80s Japanese body, Tokai neck and Amalfatano VS pickups---think I'm gonna go pick it up right now---cheers Rocky!

9. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

Killer player. I have a CD he did with Buddy Miles and he gets amazing Strat tones on it. I also have several of his CD's with his own group and love his playing. Great chops and tone for days.

FVB