RockyTop 18 watt 112 combo - first 2 hours

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gregory70, Feb 21, 2006.

1. gregory70

gregory70 Supporting Member

I received my new RockyTop 18 watt 112 combo today and have been playing it for the past 2 hours. Mine has a Hellatone speaker. Following is an ecstatic, rambling, tone-drunk review.

I am EXTREMELY pleased. What a little rocker! I only play strats, so I can only comment on the tone with single-coils, but the sounds I am getting are amazing. Incredibly touch sensitve and very responsive to volume and tone control from the guitar. Plenty of volume for smaller venues, but not so loud as to blow off my kneecaps when practicing at home. Bedroom amp? Maybe not. But if I am upstairs and my wife and son are downstairs, I am pretty sure I can practice at damn near full volume without scaring them out of the house. I'll have to try that tonite.

Both channels sound great. I'll have to learn the effective use of tremolo as this is my first amp with such a feature. It sounds too cool not to use it. BTW - With the channels jumpered, I have more than enough gain to match Joe Bonamassa's tone on the song "Blues Deluxe" (the tone, NOT the playing) with nothing but volume control - with the channels jumpered, it is really a beast. But it still cleans up beautifully with volume control and pick-attack.

I realize I am currently in the throes of the "honeymoon," but good lord this amp sounds great.

On a separate note, this is the first amp in over a year to arrive in one piece. It's the first to arrive by FedEx. The three other damaged amps came by way of UPS. I think I'll stick with FedEx for now on.

2. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

Try it with a les paul and you will die! ihave an 18 watt clone and use strats and pauls this amp kills with the lester

3. ducmike

ducmike Silver Supporting Member

Congrats! Now I'm really going to go crazy with the wait, Jesse said mine is 3 weeks out. Thanks for the review.

4. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

18 watt combos rate really high on the "coolness factor". I have not played one I didn't like. If you mic up alot at gigs, they are perfect.:cool:

5. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

I have had mine now for almost a month,and I use a Fane Alnico Speaker in a combo,and with the Les Paul it is just tone heaven all the blues tone or Jimmy page tones you could ask for.
    The tremolo works great,its a 2 speed type,that can slow the pulses or speed them up,Just like my Trem Cat has.
    With my 2-12 V30 cab it is loud and much Fatter.
    Very good amp for the price.
    Anyone can tell me how to load sound clips here would love to post them.:JAM

6. gregory70

Got to spend another hour or so with it last night. It's a bit louder than I thought (my family could still hear it pretty clearly when I brought it upstairs) but not nearly as loud as my Heritage Patriot (which made my 4 year old son cry that last time I cranked it when he was in the house).

I will say this, however. With the channels jumpered, this amp has has plenty of gain, even with single-coils. Not metal styles or anything, but ZZ top, Zeppelin, etc., it's ready to go without pedals.

I wish I could make friends a Les Paul. I've had a few over the years and I always sell them for another strat.

I would also like to post clips the new RockyTop and my Heritage amps if possible. What would you want to hear? What is the best way to show the strengths of an amp (certainly not with my playing ability)?

Thanks Jesse, this amp is exactly what I was looking for.

7. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Supporting Member

I emailed Rocky Top about a week ago and haven't got an answer. The amp sounds awesome, but I'm wondering if they mod with a TMB in place of the tremolo channel?

8. gregory70

I'd just give him a call. He has always answered my calls and been very gracious with my questions (I suspect I am a somewhat difficult customer).

9. Heritage

Heritage Gold Supporting Member

Gregory,
    I'm glad you dig your new Rocky Top. That sounds like a cool amp. Jesse finished up my 45H yesterday and I will have it next week. Everything I hear about Jesse's amps is wonderful. I would love to hear some clips of your 18 watt. Get them up soon!

Scott

10. gregory70

I'll talk to a buddy of mine who has an 8-track. I'd also like to make some clips of my Heritage amps as well (I think they are equally great just for different reasons/tones). I assume my goal in making clips is to showcase the tone of the amp, right? NOT my playing ability.

I can't wait to go home tonite and play my new RockyTop!

11. gregory70

Well, the cheap recorder did not work as well as plannedÂ…

However, my digital camcorder did a pretty good job. So, if somebody would be willing to post/host it, I can send a 3 minute .wmv file of me playing an American Strat with Fralin Blues Specials thru the RockyTop 18 watt 112 in my living room. The file is about 6mb. The playing isn't great (I was strangely nervous during the process), but I think the sound of the amp is well represented and it is honest.

12. gregory70

Nope. I haven't played one of the 1974x's