Rode NT1-A??

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by picassographic, Jun 12, 2008.

1. picassographic

picassographic Member

I am looking for a condenser mic for a home studio project.We will record vocals, acoustic guitars, also guitar cabinets .Is this mic an industry standart for home use? Also are there differences between this and the old NT1? Maybe a NTK would be nice but I think this would serve us more than enough:JAM

What do you think? :)

2. mr breaker

mr breaker Member

I think the NT-1A is a great mic for the money. That would be my choice for around $200.

Never tried it on a guitar amp, but I've had good results on vocals and acoustic guitars.

3. dunara

dunara Member

The NT1A is 'sizzlier', the NT1 warmer. That gives the impression that the 'A' has more detail, but in the all-important midrange, there's probably not that much in it. I've A-B'd them, and personally preferred the original, but there's really not much in it. The 'A' looks smarter, if that's important....

BTW, not having a pad, neither of these mics is ideal for guitar amp mic'ing. They yield good results from acoustic instruments, but personally, I like the facility of a high-pass when recording things like shakers, tambourines and boomier acoustic guitars

4. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

The Blue Baby Bottle works well on all 3 of those sources. I do like the original NT1 on acoustic guitars, like others. They have a low self noise and usually sit well in a mix without too much extra work. The Blue BB has a bit more character but I really like what it adds to guitars. I reach for it much more than the NT1.

5. 69 Sound

69 Sound Member

I'll second the recommendation of the baby bottle vs the NT1A.

Although, I much prefer the original run of Blue mics made in Latvia to the newer US assembly/production.

Another option, if you can swing it, might be the Rode K2.

6. tristan

tristan Member

i bought the NT1a for my first condenser mic to mic my guitar cabs. one word... poo.

its a great for male vocals as it adds a nice presence which men dont always have, and for acoustic guitars works well for the same reason, adds sizzle as dunara puts it.

but dont expect it to give you good electric guitar sounds in my experience anyway. close or far its thin and nasal-y.

but its a great mic in any case!

7. tristan

tristan Member

forgot to add, if its money you want to save on, might be worth while looking at the MXL v69 mogami mic. great all round valve mic. adds a deeper character to acoustic guitar, great vocal mic and not too bad a couple of feet away from a guitar cab :)

and its fairly cheap

8. picassographic

picassographic Member

9. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

My first studio mic was the original NT1 and it works great on guitar cabs, vocals and acoustic guitars. Ive not heard the NT1A but I bet there is a used NT1 on Ebay for next to nothing.

10. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

I found the baby bottle lacking on most voices - too dark up top (prolly just the mid bump, which I liked for some guitars).

11. andyc

andyc Member

Another thumbs up for the NT1A. I bought one for my studio only a few weeks ago, and I'm amazed at what a nice versatile mic it's turned out to be. Works great for vocals and cabs - the two uses I've had for it already. Prefer it for some vocals over my AKG414. Great mic!

12. Fantom1

Fantom1 Member

I think the NT2-A is more "bang" for the buck. It's appears to be a slightly higher quality mic. I know I've been very happy with the sound quality for vocal and guitar aps.

13. mdog114

mdog114 Member

I agree, it's a good mic for the money. Not what I would use on guitar cabs, but good at the vox/acoustic stuff.

14. t0neg0d

t0neg0d Member

Would like to 15th the notion that it is not a good choice for guitar cabs. Can, however, be used in interesting ways as an ambient mic for guitar.

15. Burstplayer

Burstplayer Member

I stepped up and got the NTK tube and have been very happy with it.

Excellent on male vox and very solid on acoustic guitar.

A good ambient guitar cab mic as well.

It is a little colored though, but it works.