Rode NT1 Headbasket Mod

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by ajoel32, Feb 26, 2012.

1. ajoel32

ajoel32 Member

I've got a Rode NT1 (original NT1, not the NT1A), and I've been doing a bit of research on the U87 mod that can be done. I understand the Michael Joly does a good mod on these, most significantly replacing the capsule and headbasket.

Now I am sure that it's great work, but I am a DIY diehard, and would rather have the satisfaction of learning how to work on these myself. I have decided on either the RK-47 capsule from microphone-parts.com or the Peluso P-K47 capsule. I'm still not certain on which would be the best bang for the buck there, as the Peluso is over 100 dollars more expensive.

Through my research, I understand the Jim Williams designed these mics, specifically, the NT1 uses really high-quality electronics, more so than the NT1A's. When Rode decided they needed to increase profit, they decreased produciton costs by using cheaper, surface-mount components, unlike the through-hole design of the NT1.

My biggest head-scratcher is finding a headbasket for this mic with a more open design. I just can't seem to find anyone making replacement or modded versions of headbaskets. It sounds as though Michael Joly has found someone to make these, but I'm wondering if anyone has a lead that I might be able to follow. I understand one of the design flaws of this mic is the tight-weaved nature of the headbasket mesh as it nears the body of the mic.

I'm looking for something that stays more open. I know it has been suggested to remove the inner-mesh, but I'm looking for something more along the 'Joly' line, with replacing the entire headbasket.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

McMaster-Carr sells the wire mesh. The size of the stock mesh is pretty good. As you pointed out, when they form it, the hole size gets compressed. If you want to keep the stock shape, doubling the hole size would be a good place to start. Or, keep the hole size but make a cylindrical basket.

3. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

Surface mount does not necessarily mean lower fidelity.

4. ajoel32

ajoel32 Member

Thanks for the replies!

I followed the lead for the suggestion to use McMaster-Carr. I sent them an email today, but they seemed pretty reluctant to help me out. Kinda bummed since they are right up the road from me near Cleveland. Maybe they prefer dealing with bulk orders. Have you used them for this type of project before?

I'm not that knowledgable in electronics, but I am trying. From what I understand of the research I've done into this mic, the choice of electronic parts used in the NT1 were supposed to be of really high quality, as opposed to later NT1a redesign when they implemented different quality components. I think choice of electronic components used in the NT1 vs. NT1a plays a greater role than the through-hole vs surface mount design. Does that make sense?

5. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

McMaster is an industrial supply house. They sell the raw materials but you still need to do all the legwork. Get some calipers, measure the wire size and hole size of the stock mesh (at the top of the basket) and go from there. Cut the shape you want into a piece of hardwood then form the mesh around that.